Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Looks like a proposed closure of the entire fraser mouth areas? Not too familiar with the northern proposed areas (I am sure that is prime lodge zone) and from renfrew to tofino? Want to get my facts straight before I start sending this through my network.

Election in 2019..
Yeah and now is the perfect time to poll all those who are running, for their position on the issue. The sooner the better! Those looking at re election are looking over their shoulders and those hoping to unseat them are looking for issues and potential votes,this is prime time. Make it an election issue! Leading up to an election is when politicians have the most to lose or gain and one of the few times they actually care about what you think. Make them commit!

Rest assured the folks proposing the closure are working them! You snooze you lose!

Yeah and now is the perfect time to poll all those who are running, for their position on the issue. The sooner the better! Those looking at re election are looking over their shoulders and those hoping to unseat them are looking for issues and potential votes,this is prime time. Make it an election issue! Leading up to an election is when politicians have the most to lose or gain and one of the few times they actually care about what you think. Make them commit!

Rest assured the folks proposing the closure are working them! You snooze you lose!
no doubt , but unfortunatly , the elected still have to deal with the party whip

no doubt , but unfortunatly , the elected still have to deal with the party whip
There is no Party Whip during an election and this is unlikely to be one of the issues where the Whip would be involved even after one. Party Whips primarily look after ensuring all their members show up to vote and vote according to the Party Caucus’s will. They can discipline members who violate Party principles, but I doubt this qualifies. That is of course unless you believe that the Party in questions official stance is that Recreational Fishing should be closed. If that’s the case then I know I won’t be voting for them.

You are correct, all the NGO heavy hitters are on this one, Suzuki, Georgia Strait, Raincoast, even the world wildlife fund. You have to hand it to them, its a pretty smart move to take this to court. It probably has little chance of success, but it doesn't matter, it will provide all kinds of publicity, and exerts pressure on elected officials and those who want to be elected just prior to an election campaign. It is very difficult for any politician who wants to be elected to side with individualistic Sport fisherman, most of whom are primarily concerned with how many salmon they can bonk, vs the well organized groups whose stated primary concern is the survival of an iconic whale species.

All I can say is its over guys can me a downer
For most of us, the above statement is right-on.
For some of us, we will see more opportunity (Puget Sound reached their summer Chinook quotas in record time this year perhaps due to reduced interception).

Whatever, the paper predicts SRKW recovery will take more than 25 years, so as far as Chinook fishing opportunities in many areas, yup. it's over. If they haven't figured it out already, pretty soon they will be looking at protecting the Chinook stocks where they grow-up, just not areas where the SRKW eat them.
Reduced limits both daily & annually & seasonal closures would be what we on the US west coast south of BC have been with living for decades.

It is very difficult for any politician who wants to be elected to side with individualistic Sport fisherman, most of whom are primarily concerned with how many salmon they can bonk, vs the well organized groups whose stated primary concern is the survival of an iconic whale species.
Right-on.
Given these 2 extreme sides, who will the majority side with? Given all the data mining that goes on, any moron has to just logon to this forum to illustrate the above point by california to the world.
Think about it; who needs the Salmon worst, us or the whales?

FYI, I FULLY expect to get ZERO likes outta this & will be damn proud of it.

Looks like a proposed closure of the entire fraser mouth areas? Not too familiar with the northern proposed areas (I am sure that is prime lodge zone) and from renfrew to tofino? Want to get my facts straight before I start sending this through my network.
Can anyone that has read the report in more detail weigh in on my Q?

There is no Party Whip during an election and this is unlikely to be one of the issues where the Whip would be involved even after one. Party Whips primarily look after ensuring all their members show up to vote and vote according to the Party Caucus’s will. They can discipline members who violate Party principles, but I doubt this qualifies. That is of course unless you believe that the Party in questions official stance is that Recreational Fishing should be closed. If that’s the case then I know I won’t be voting for them.

Nor will I be!
As any elected MP will be whipped, many get in with grand plans, but leave disillusioned, and often their causes or and or constituents are diluted in bargaining for support, the party only cares about the seat, get the seat.... say anything ..just get the seat.
In the End Party leadership via the whip has their way.

Direction is coming from the PMO's office.. pretty dam sure, and also the US is demanding that Canadians are also cut from the equation ( Fraser Estuary ) despite the feed being US bound fish.

I agree,I’m not saying every MP gets what his constituents want. That does not mean they have no seat at the table. I’d suggest its a more often a case that single issue MP’s have little chance of their issue seeing the light of day, simply because it may not be seen as important by others. I doubt the Party Whip would get involved, why would he or she, but the end result may be the same. Most who enter politics with a dream of changing the world, leave with the world having changed them

The issue though of not making an issue known to a Candidate because it may not resonate with the Party is IMHO a form of capitulation. If you don’t ask for anything, that’s exactly what will be delivered to you. Many MP’s bring forward issues to Caucus that get backing, some don’t. But rest assured ones that are never mentioned 100% of the time go nowhere. The Politicians work for us and serve at our pleasure, something we as well as they need to remember. My vote goes to whoever is willing to champion my issue, not a specific Party.

Well I am not quitting. I will be again putting in my boots and helping are fish make journey back again this year in fall, and then dust off and fight this. This thread is way too depressing. Looks like everyone is done. Too bad.

Well I am not quitting. I will be again putting in my boots and helping are fish make journey back again this year in fall, and then dust off and fight this. This thread is way too depressing. Looks like everyone is done. Too bad.
It's hard for some to be positive when you see the deck is stacked, game is rigged. No doubt a fight is in order , but how do you quantify or evaluate the dollar value on sport fisheries.

I think that those decisions were made a long time ago and they simply are being implementing this plan based on a political schedule. So many people are disappointed with this Government, aside from the endemic problems with DFO's policised management of fisheries.. Are Orca smart or stupid enough to know the difference between Farmed Atlantic Salmon and other species they feed on ?Sort that one out David Suzuki!

Jeez one obvious root problem ( net pens) nothing is done and no doubt it's not the only problem as there are many, yet they sanction the unnecessary end of a industry based on Wild Salmon fishery using the perception that low feed stocks for Orca needs to be addressed? Perhaps the recent campaign by Port Vancouver on quiet ships ...has slipped past most , that heavy shipping traffic has quadrupled over the last ten years to both Lower mainland and seattle ..

Doonhamwr be clear with your terminology... net pens are good...fish farms are not.

Can anyone that has read the report in more detail weigh in on my Q?

The Fraser mouth area was identified as critical habitat back in 2008, as well as the JDFS, Gulf islands etc.

As we have seen, actions to support the critical habitat might come years later.

From what I can determine, determination as critical habitat gives them a blank check to implement stuff to directly & indirectly support the crucial habitat which includes food supply amongst other stuff. It is the food supply (mainly Chinook salmon) that affects us.

Back