Strait of Georgia Salmon Retention

RBL

Just wondering if it’s back to 2 springs a day now and What the expected changes will be this spring? I’m all for the one fish a day but worried they may try and shut us down completely this year. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I believe currently it is 2 per day.... at this point we are not sure what will be happening for the GS and also depending on what area you are in... over the course of the next months we will see what is happening.... a lot of moving pieces at this time...

Thanks Derby. I fish Nanaimo down to Valdes in the spring. Im really hoping it stays open. It’s looking like my favourite west coast spots will be getting shut down and I’ll will be pissed off if everywhere I fish gets closed.

Biggest challenge for SOG and approach fisheries where Fraser & Thompson River Chinook stocks of concern are more commonly encountered or caught in rec fisheries is COSEWIC has listed 8 runs as "endangered" and there are a further 5 that are listed as "threatened." Add in concerns about Fraser Chinook as a Critical food source for SRKW, and that spells significant challenge navigating those particular fish through fishing areas where they are encountered with mixed stocks of other more abundant Chinook. Not trying to speculate at all, simply saying that my sense is status quo is highly improbable, particularly in places and times where catch data demonstrates higher incidence where these specific stocks of concern have been encountered in historical fisheries. That said, there could be times/places where we could maintain viable fisheries through measures such as marked selective (hatchery only) fisheries, or a combination of possession limits where we have 1 marked & 1 unmarked retention, or specific slot limits such as we have seen employed in JDF.

Reactions: RBL
Thanks Derby. I fish Nanaimo down to Valdes in the spring. Im really hoping it stays open. It’s looking like my favourite west coast spots will be getting shut down and I’ll will be pissed off if everywhere I fish gets closed.

As searun has said above.... If Barkley sound is one of your spots the forecasts are looking favorable for sockeye & Chinook of which you will be able to fish on them...... Nootka is another so there are so bright spots out there... off shore not sure how that will look at this time but we will be angling it just may look a little different

Reactions: RBL
Biggest challenge for SOG and approach fisheries where Fraser & Thompson River Chinook stocks of concern are more commonly encountered or caught in rec fisheries is COSEWIC has listed 8 runs as "endangered" and there are a further 5 that are listed as "threatened." Add in concerns about Fraser Chinook as a Critical food source for SRKW, and that spells significant challenge navigating those particular fish through fishing areas where they are encountered with mixed stocks of other more abundant Chinook. Not trying to speculate at all, simply saying that my sense is status quo is highly improbable, particularly in places and times where catch data demonstrates higher incidence where these specific stocks of concern have been encountered in historical fisheries. That said, there could be times/places where we could maintain viable fisheries through measures such as marked selective (hatchery only) fisheries, or a combination of possession limits where we have 1 marked & 1 unmarked retention, or specific slot limits such as we have seen employed in JDF.
My guess as to why the nanaimo area doesn't have the chinook restrictions like the straight of Juan de fuca does in the spring/early summer is because majority of the returning Thompson river chinook migrate through the jdf straight during this time. I've been submitting heads to the salmon head recovery program for several years now and have received the percentages form DFO.

My guess as to why the nanaimo area doesn't have the chinook restrictions like the straight of Juan de fuca does in the spring/early summer is because majority of the returning Thompson river chinook migrate through the jdf straight during this time. I've been submitting heads to the salmon head recovery program for several years now and have received the percentages form DFO.

Southern jdf is going to have a very rough time this year. The thing SOG has going for it is years and years of DNA data. Other areas also do have logbooks and other data. So likely the impacts will be based on data.

It's too early to say what changes are going to be but I would say southern JDF is going to have a very rough time coming up especially with the lack of DNA data in the area. I hope I am wrong and it's a shame.

I am not staying our area is going escape either but I thing it will weather the storm better based on the data we have.

We just have to wait and see. Btw make sure you come to our sfab metting in the springtime.

I really wish things were different. Never seen so many issues coming down at once. It's a complete gongshow.

It was based on DNA sampling from ardent anglers group.. that being said we all most likely will being seeing reg changes regarding chinooks as there are many moving parts now...SRKW, upper interior chinooks with a coupled other chinook reductions coming in play... the next 3 months are not going to be fun..

It was based on DNA sampling from ardent anglers group.. that being said we all most likely will being seeing reg changes regarding chinooks as there are many moving parts now...SRKW, upper interior chinooks with a coupled other chinook reductions coming in play... the next 3 months are not going to be fun..
Hopefully all sectors will be seeing changes.....especially food fishing! I have no problem killing less fish but everyone needs to be on board or else it’s pointless.

Hopefully all sectors will be seeing changes.....especially food fishing!

Not a chance, the Supreme Court of Canada determined that. S.35, Sparrow, Five Nations ect... Rec fishing can't exist if you limit/restrict food fishing. It's really not worth spending effort on unless your goal is to completely shut down recreational salmon fishing. (some people are at that point).

I really wish things were different. Never seen so many issues coming down at once. It's a complete gongshow.

Hard to tell what's going to happen in an election year. I am actually fairly optimistic that it wont be all that worse than this year.

History shows that people do not vote for fish.
They probably will for whales.

This has been proven over the years and a great example is the demise of Steelhead and two sockeye runs, just to meantion a few.
Nothing happened and as we know it will not in the future.

Not a chance, the Supreme Court of Canada determined that. S.35, Sparrow, Five Nations ect... Rec fishing can't exist if you limit/restrict food fishing. It's really not worth spending effort on unless your goal is to completely shut down recreational salmon fishing. (some people are at that point).

Hard to tell what's going to happen in an election year. I am actually fairly optimistic that it wont be all that worse than this year.

Coast...your south Thompson Chinook run timing through JDF would be end of July to beginning of Sept. The reason why the nanaimo fishery is open during the spring is due to the large % of hatch fish.
The South Thompson Chinook used to be one of the strongest runs on the Fraser, DFO mismanagement has this run on a steady decline through netting like most of the other Fraser stocks!
More restrictions for the rec fleet while other sectors are having record openings on the Fraser.
Should be within another week or so the first of the drift and set nets start targeting our early Chinook!

Last edited:
No, have not seen yet, but my understanding is DFO did not meet their projections.
If that is correct then I would expect more cuts.

As noted elsewhere the effects of re allocation has not been resolved yet.
Add to that what effect there might be in regards to the new Whale areas.

Then to top it off, remember the Greens have not had their say yet.

Going to get interesting.

You have seen the 2018 cwt data? Thought it wasent suppose to be out to later this year. Can you share?

Remember, we do not mark all our hatchery stocks.

Further these hatcherys have been cut back tremendously over the last 30 years.

So, having marked fisheries at this point is questionable.

All stocks from all Canadian hatcherys should be marked.
That means all coho as well.

And yes DFO has been told this for years. See how well that went!

Won’t be much worse than this year, I agree on that, once you get a total fin fish closure in your primary area, it’s hard to make it worse.

Won’t be much worse than this year, I agree on that, once you get a total fin fish closure in your primary area, it’s hard to make it worse.

I know ziggy and I feel horrible about the closure that happened in your area Pender and others. Part of the reason why I started fishing in the ocean is because all the closures that happened in the Fraser.

The writing has been on the wall for the Fraser for very along time.

All the SRKW stuff is BS too and it’s all political .
Don’t like seeing any area closed

Isn't it interesting that the Management Measure Considerations listed by DFO specify the Fraser Mouth with no mention of any consideration of in river fishing on the Fraser. They don't even bother lying anymore....

Back