Stop the Turf Destruction

J-GLOBAL

Any ideas on how to stop the raccoons from digging up my back yard searching for Grubs?

I think its Racoons. Happens over night.

Thought about having my son sit out on the deck with his Bow, but Mom veto'd it.

The were at it all last spring, then took the summer off, now they are back, whatever they are.

Buy a live trap from Canadian Tire. They work great. Squirrels dig up lawns too same rules apply except you should kill the later if they are black or grey.

The solar powered pest repeller from Costco works. I had racoons eating my Figs of the tree last month and they have not returned since I installed the solar repeller. I randomly vibrates to scare off racoons, moles and squirrels. Scared the crap out of my dog the first time too.

The solar powered pest repeller from Costco works. I had racoons eating my Figs of the tree last month and they have not returned since I installed the solar repeller. I randomly vibrates to scare off racoons, moles and squirrels. Scared the crap out of my dog the first time too.

The things a person learn on the internets-I've seen those but had no idea what they were.

31TMK6VV6XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Shane....I guess if it's happening at night it is more likely racoons than crows.

If they are tearing up your lawn....given the migration working it's way west in Vancouver I am wondering if it's the Chafer Beetles they are after. It used to be mostly in East Van but have noticed recently a big prevalence of it in that Blenheim area between 16th and 10th as well as various patches all over the place.

Some people actually introduce grubs to their lawns to combat the beetles. But what happens is the beetles work their way along and they actually chew away the roots of the grass which "opens it up" for crows and racoons to go after them. It is a royal pain to get rid of. I have a buddy who lives up around 49th and Vine and to combat the birds and racoons tearing up their lawn there is a specific time of the year it is notably worse and they actually cover their lawn with what would be easiest described as a green screen/mesh. I can ask him and find out more about it.

If it is in fact Chafer Beatles I was just asking my gal who is a realtor on the west side; she has done A LOT of research on this as it's becoming much more of a problem. She has an article she is going to forward to me when she gets in front of her computer this afternoon and I'll pass it along.

I am pretty familiar with these beatles as it has been so much more on the radar as of late on the West side. I asked her in a nutshell this morning and she said if it IS the Chafer's.....you are almost best to let nature take it's course as they will eventually move on. Once they do and your lawn looks like complete sh*t.....get that spray fertilizer that actually has seed in it; it's that bluish green spray you see quite often along roadways and highways. It will cost a few hundred bucks, is pet safe and will bring your yard back pretty quickly.

Take a drive along Blenheim where I mentioned; look at the houses/lawns in that area and see it is looks similar to yours.

Also.....if it is just racoons now....be thankful as you should see the flocks of crows that maraud a lawn during the day when infested with the beatles.

I see you are in Vancouver therefore I would bet that the grubs that are infesting your lawn are European Chafer Beetle larva, they are an invasive species. Racoons, crows and skunks tear up the lawn to get at the larval instars that are feeding on the grass roots, as well as as when the larvae feed they create tunnels and voids in the soil and kill the grass plants. Due to the fact most municipalities have adopted cosmetic pesticide bans that prevent the use of insceticides to treat this foriegn pest you are kind of pooched as the animals are the secondary issue with the grub being the primary problem. Nematodes (specifically,Heterorhabditis bacteriophora) can be used that can be purchased from garden stores and they will help control the possibility of an infestation but the window for this has past and needs to be done in late July when the larvae are susceptible to this alternative. You can trap and shoot and whatever but they will just keep coming...they are like gummy bears for a 10 year old...

Keep as healthy a lawn as possible to help avoid the chafer from getting a foothold...alternatively, municipalities may be able to tell you what you can and can't do to your property but they don't generally prohibit retailers from still carrying certain chemicals that will do the job...The inscecticide by the trade name of Sevin will do the trick...you just need to find it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat me to it Scott, never hit post...lol...PM me if you need more info...I know these little freaks well as it is a part of my work. The Adults mate in trees and lay their eggs in the soil to feed as described above...

Back