Stop posting about fishing lingcod...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic here but with the new drone technology available I am very surprised someone doesn’t run one up the river with a go pro filming. You can get very high def video and it would be a good way to show the public exactly what is happening

Well if we don’t fish we are rolling over to the feds and the folks who crossed over on the land bridge over the Bering sea a few thousand years back.Fish responsibly of course but freakin stand up and fish,our forefathers and mother’s sacrificed for our country,remember where we all came from.Or let in regulated Land bridge crossers to wipe it all out.

im in victoria will meet somebody over there with a bost and will film it any takers
Not sure where you guys have been in last few decades lol, not on the fraser thats for sure, its like that every year , early april the nets start to apear, and game on for the ole season, anybody that as spent a bit of time on the river as seen it over and over.one of the reason i gave up fishing the river. Dont think that to many people in the know is going to be suprise by any video footage you might produce, the drum beats to a different beat for FN when it come to this river

Not sure where you guys have been in last few decades lol, not on the fraser thats for sure, its like that every year , early april the nets start to apear, and game on for the ole season, anybody that as spent a bit of time on the river as seen it over and over.one of the reason i gave up fishing the river. Dont think that to many people in the know is going to be suprise by any video footage you might produce, the drum beats to a different beat for FN when it come to this river[/QUOTE
Off the ling topic again but I think the point would be for people not “in the know” to see what is really going on. The facts are in front of everyone’s faces but like anything nowadays you need a well done short video that goes viral online to gain any traction. It’s a slam dunk though. There are “endangered “ Fraser chinook for sale all over Vancouver right now and the only people on the water are the FN. Are they not supposed to be fishing for food, social and ceremonial purposes ? With everyone off the water except them it may be a perfect time to be able to prove where all these fish are going. Just a thought.

Male lingcod guard the eggs.
Now what are we supposed to do?
Exactly. Lings have a very different life history than most fish so the usual rules might not apply. Read up on the science that shows large males could be more important than large females. Then make your decision on which sex to harvest..

I'm certainly not calling anybody names. Lings are legal to catch all over the B.C. coast. If you want to post a picture of your catch, I have no problem with that, But... I still would encourage anybody fishing lings to keep the small ones. Leave the big female spawners alone. Release them if you encounter them, as I do...
My question is in the age of conservation, why don't they have a max size for ling? Seems like a no brainer to me...

you want to protect the Ling populations? Just keep your spots and success to yourself and close friends.

You can argue all the BS you want about it being legal, this is a forum for fishing reports - blah blah blah.

The more you post about the ling, the more pressure they will receive and the less fish in the water the next time you want to go get one.

prove me wrong...

why would we push for a ling cod slot limit.. while the commercial fishermen can retain anysize.. come on there seems to be a fairly health population of lings out...so go fish take what you need only and stay within the limits... if someone whats to retain a big fish so be it... like ever single person on this forum at one time or another you retain atleast one big fish.. a lesson learned and bet u haven't since.. if folks want to post up a pic good on you.... this is a fishing forum board if you don't like looking at pics of lings then dont bother opening this thread............
IMG_20180806_213607_539.jpg

you want to protect the Ling populations? Just keep your spots and success to yourself and close friends.

You can argue all the BS you want about it being legal, this is a forum for fishing reports - blah blah blah.

The more you post about the ling, the more pressure they will receive and the less fish in the water the next time you want to go get one.

prove me wrong...

So the problem really is there is to much recreational fishermen? Is that what your trying to say?

Have you read the ground fish IFMP? You do know we have a quota....

Theres simply more fisherman then keeper lings out there in the strait right now. We're way past overexposure. Honestly whos seeing these threads and running out to Thrasher or Texada just because they saw a thread on this site? If you have the means to do that you already knew where was open and when, or how to find out. Locals are fishing regardless of web activity. If we cant talk about fishing we may as shut down here and reconvene in July.

Sure more restrictions are not ideal I cant argue that. However, we fished hard both days last weekend with live and dead herring and got 1 7lb barely keeper and over a dozen unders between 3 guys. I have good spots that normally produce quickly in years past, usually on to salmon by 8 or 9am (we were hoping to try for hali in this case).... its not looking good, and Im definately concerned about ling stocks my area. We're only 2 weeks into the season.

Theres simply more fisherman then keeper lings out there in the strait right now. We're way past overexposure. Honestly whos seeing these threads and running out to Thrasher or Texada just because they saw a thread on this site? If you have the means to do that you already knew where was open and when, or how to find out. Locals are fishing regardless of web activity. If we cant talk about fishing we may as shut down here and reconvene in July.

Sure more restrictions are not ideal I cant argue that. However, we fished hard both days last weekend with live and dead herring and got 1 7lb barely keeper and over a dozen unders between 3 guys. I have good spots that normally produce quickly in years past, usually on to salmon by 8 or 9am (we were hoping to try for hali in this case).... its not looking good, and Im definately concerned about ling stocks my area. We're only 2 weeks into the season.
Ling Cod are migratory so i wouldn't get too worried....there's lots of them in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes it slows way down for them where i fish and then it just picks up like crazy!

Ling Cod are migratory so i wouldn't get too worried....there's lots of them in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes it slows way down for them where i fish and then it just picks up like crazy!

You are correct Fishtofino, and it can vary even further from day to day based on tides and individual locations.

Last weekend went to my best spot on Friday and got completely skunked in 3 hours of hard fishing. Next day went to another spot, one that gets way more pressure, and bagged 2 beauty keepers, released 2 barely keepers, lost a couple heavy ones, and released 3 smalls, all in under 1.5 hours.

One thing I did notice is that there was a ton of sea lions at the spot that did not produce and I do wonder about their impact on lingcod populations as I know they prey on that species.

prove me wrong...

hahahaha.... u still have to know where and how to catch them.. prove me wrong... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back