Stop posting about fishing lingcod...

Status
Not open for further replies.
California and Washington State used to have tremendous fishing, including bottom fishing. Now the charters there are pumped about guests catching 5lb fish - rock cod, ling, and 10lb halibut.

Checkout the fishing photos in Army and Navy in Gastown. Absolute hogs caught from row boats in the harbor.

Halibut used to be caught all through Georgia Strait, and they haven't recovered.

The trend is obvious for our fishery. Guides will aggressively say how it's not happening, until they get shut down like SVI. We'll all point fingers at each other on who's fault it is. But the bottom line is: there's too many people taking from the ocean. I'm one of them. and it's for sport, with a side benefit of getting food.

I've commercial fished (troll), guided, and sport fished all my life and I've seen the trends. We can build the stocks back up, but we all (comm, FN, sports) have to take LESS. It's about enjoying time on the water, not bragging about limiting out.
Agree, worlds problem is to many people. As a kid used to catch all sorts of rock fish, ling, greenling and "black bass" all the time while on anchor. Now sit for days and only migratory species available. It is getting worse in JDF off Vic. Closures concentrated rec fleet even more, what also hurts is the commie working our same reefs with set lines. With all the crap us rec people are taking right now its still a time to unite, not help those who want us gone for BS reasons. My 2c.

HM

California and Washington State used to have tremendous fishing, including bottom fishing. Now the charters there are pumped about guests catching 5lb fish - rock cod, ling, and 10lb halibut.

Checkout the fishing photos in Army and Navy in Gastown. Absolute hogs caught from row boats in the harbor.

Halibut used to be caught all through Georgia Strait, and they haven't recovered.

The trend is obvious for our fishery. Guides will aggressively say how it's not happening, until they get shut down like SVI. We'll all point fingers at each other on who's fault it is. But the bottom line is: there's too many people taking from the ocean. I'm one of them. and it's for sport, with a side benefit of getting food.

I've commercial fished (troll), guided, and sport fished all my life and I've seen the trends. We can build the stocks back up, but we all (comm, FN, sports) have to take LESS. It's about enjoying time on the water, not bragging about limiting out.
There is a bit of a recovery on Halibut here in northern S.O.G. it's been pretty good here around Campbell River last few years . I think reducing the annual limits is useful. None of us needs a 15 Chinook limit inside. For a family of four, 60 Chinook? C'mon! D.F.O. is unrealistic about what sport limits should be. This could go a long way to lessening the pressure.

So people don't want you to talk about "their" secret area or a spot being good for XYZ fish. Now people don't want you to share pictures or success of certain fish cause it encourages too many people to get out and fish. I guess forums are just limited to talking about boat maintenance and general basic angling tips now? I understand the concern but I think we are being a bit over the top on this one.

So people don't want you to talk about "their" secret area or a spot being good for XYZ fish. Now people don't want you to share pictures or success of certain fish cause it encourages too many people to get out and fish. I guess forums are just limited to talking about boat maintenance and general basic angling tips now? I understand the concern but I think we are being a bit over the top on this one.
Agreed

don't you dare post a pic of a lingcod now:mad::mad::mad::D:D:D:D,post as many pics of your boat full of chinook but don't you DARE post a pic of a ling,f,,,, ing nuts

Male lingcod guard the eggs.
Now what are we supposed to do?

Don't have to worry about the Lingcod no boats out period, DFO has killed our fishery. Went over to thrasher rock today, Now one fishing Van harbor, 1 Boat fishing QA area, No boats at the Hump, One boat at south Bowen, At thrasher rock only 4 boats fishing chinook and about 5 boats fishing for lings. Doing this cruse last year at this time 50+ boats.

Flat as **** on a plate, and amazing weather. Got our Lings in under 30 mins at a place we never tried before.

no one was at the launch its scary dead out there, I honestly thought there would be more people out for C@R chinook and lings. Nope

Don't have to worry about the Lingcod no boats out period, DFO has killed our fishery. Went over to thrasher rock today, Now one fishing Van harbor, 1 Boat fishing QA area, No boats at the Hump, One boat at south Bowen, At thrasher rock only 4 boats fishing chinook and about 5 boats fishing for lings. Doing this cruse last year at this time 50+ boats.

Flat as **** on a plate, and amazing weather. Got our Lings in under 30 mins at a place we never tried before.

no one was at the launch its scary dead out there, I honestly thought there would be more people out for C@R chinook and lings. Nope

That's the consensus in Nanaimo. The boats are parked right now. People aren't going out at all.

I was on the flats today in oak bay. Ghost town! Except for the whale watcher boats buzzing by. Very sad. And in my opinion playing right into DFO’s hands. I say eff them and get out and fish! So what if it’s catch and release. Are you going to let a bunch of pencil pushers keep you off the water? Not me. Hope to see you out there!

Last edited:
Shut down for sportty, FN are netting the shitt out of them as usual
F- me , i thought we are trying to bring the salmon stocks up !!!! so we the rec sector don t catch anything so the salmon go straight to the river to get massacred ??? What about the endangered fraser river stocks ?? F*****g federal government

F- me , i thought we are trying to bring the salmon stocks up !!!! so we the rec sector don t catch anything so the salmon go straight to the river to get massacred ??? What about the endangered fraser river stocks ?? F*****g federal government
Yup, friend of mine went for a cruze on his jet boat, and nets all the way up to the canyon, all creek mouth is netted,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back