Steering Solutions while trolling

Tips Up

So since I repowered with new 115, I am having issue with boat turning hard right when trolling off the kicker.
Same set up as I had before with steering arm between both motors.
The only things that have changed:
*New 115 yamaha 4 stroke replaced old 90 2 stroke.
*To accommodate size of new motor, kicker was moved over about 3 inches.
*Steering is super slick since upgrade as everything is new.

I have adjusted the trim fin on new main. Does not pull in either direction when running on the main.
Only an issue when trolling. Take hands off the wheel and it starts to turn pretty quickly. Need to have someone on the helm all the time which is difficult when fishing solo or with 1 partner which is most of the time.

My thoughts so far...
Kicker is closer to Port side so is going to push from that corner. Once it starts turning it wants to spin that way. Hydrolic steering may be a solution?

Any ideas or similar experience apprectiated.

There should be a steering tension adjustment on the kicker. Can you tighten that so it tracks straighter? You have nice new grease on the pivot mechanism of your main. Let it harden up and don't be in a rush to squirt more in.

Get hydraulic steering solve all your problems...almost sounds like things arent as straight as it used to be.
Now it makes sense, you always pushing me onto the shallow spots.... LOL LOL

There should be a steering tension adjustment on the kicker. Can you tighten that so it tracks straighter? You have nice new grease on the pivot mechanism of your main. Let it harden up and don't be in a rush to squirt more in.
Thanks for this. Much cheaper option to try than hydrolic. Maybe I can tighten up both motors a bit.
Not sure if wife is over the motor purchase yet. Not sure how she’s going to take the idea that I now need hydrolic steering to go with it.

For those of you with Hydrolic Steering, does it completely eliminate the pull in either direction? Will steering just hold where ever you turn it to?
Gotta sell myself on the hydrolics before I throw another grand at the old boat.
The boats I have run with hydrolic were bigger boats that tracked well.

For those of you with Hydrolic Steering, does it completely eliminate the pull in either direction? Will steering just hold where ever you turn it to?
Gotta sell myself on the hydrolics before I throw another grand at the old boat.
Yup. You’ll regret it if you don’t.

I couldn't even understand the concept of the kicker steering itself. Hydraulic or bust.

Last edited:
Totally bud its really a great way to go its expensive yes but well wort it and you can get custom lines built sometimes cheaper its the helms that are expensive I personally like the Uflex better as it has a stainless shaft...

Hydaulic will hold the engine in the position you left it but the boat could still wander off coarse on its own even with the helm staying put. Just depends on alignment of the kicker and prop torque...you may find that to follow a straight ahead direction you will have to have the kicker at 10deg port or starboard. Hydraulic is still the way to go but not sure I understand which problem you have...kicker that turns on it's own or boat that wanders on its own.

Problem is the helm won’t stay put.
With someone on the helm you can hold the steering with your pinky. But no hand on the wheel and it will spin right.
Does not happen with the main. So I assume because the kicker is off Center. Pushes the boat to right. Once it starts it rolls that way. Was not a problem with the old main because steering was far from slick.

Tell your wife you need hydraulic steering, a rear helm station, and an autopilot. Then she'll be happy when you just get one of those.
bungee(s) on the helm or motor?

It sounds like the repo of the kicker started all of this. It is likely that even with the helm not moving there will still be tracking issues - IMO "welcome to the joys of using a kicker". The A/P would be the best solution, but you will most likely need hydraulic steering with an A/P. Break Out Another Thousand.

Auto pilot is not a solution on a 17 ft boat.
Fished off kicker since 1991. Boat tracks well even with kicker. I have always preferred trolling off kicker. Never a problem before. If I could stop the helm from moving problem would be solved.
Both motors are now new. Main replaced this year. Kicker 2 years ago. Also replaced steering cable last year. Everything is real smooth. Probably too smooth.
Could not spot a steering tension adjustment on either motor last night. But it was a bit dark so I’ll look again later today. This sounds like a good temporary solution. Then hydrolic when I can.

i had this problem BAD on my previous boat which was a campion explorer 165, so similar sizes yours. i installed an anti-backlash steering helm. basically it’s three planetary gears that “fight” each other. don’t know if that makes sense. anyways it was a game changer as i also fished a lot by myself and the tracking was so bad it was actually impossible to fish two lines.

My thought to Scott...most do have a knob that puts tension on the wheel.

So I took advantage of great weather this afternoon and did a solo fish and do some trouble shooting. No wind and easy tide.
I checked over helm and both motors. As far as I could see there are no tension adjusters.
I looked over how Everything is connected and what my variables are.
Decided to try trolling off the main. Boat held very straight and wheel did not spin causing quick turn. It was great. I could set gear and play fish without turning issues. Trolling off the main is not an option I’m considering. I put 3 hours on it today instead of 30 min running. I prefer to use kicker. So I will start with changing location of where my connecting bar is located to see if that changes things.
This is how it is set up now.

Tips, I know most guys don't like trolling off the main
but once you get used to it you would never go back to a kicker.
Quieter, more direct control and these new 4 strokes have no problem
with idling for hours.

Back