Steelhead Voices, new update.

OldBlackDog

Bob Hooton
Welcome to another update on the shifting sands surrounding endangered Interior Fraser Steelhead. The attached article is an excellent summary of much of what has transpired to date. It's well worth the time spent to read and think about what may lie ahead.

The issue of habitat compromises associated with the now infamous Kinder-Morgan pipeline upgrade is a very welcome addition to the public profile around those beleaguered steelhead. The First Nations emphasis on this component of the picture certainly gives it far more weight than anything else seems to have mustered. Carry on Chief Lee Spahan. The steelhead advocacy community and many others fully support you there.

But, lets not forget a couple of things here. The only factor influencing the abundance of those endangered steelhead that we can adjust immediately is harvest. This is where hypocrisy reigns. As you read through the article below, find me any reference to the one fishery that has more influence than all others combined - the in-river net fisheries conducted by the First Nations themselves. I keep calling it the elephant in the room. There is no better description.

The fishery most damaging to the few fish hanging on in the Thompson and Chilcotin is the one targeting enhanced chum salmon originating from our federal government hatcheries on the lower Fraser. The fact that there is a striking relationship between the dramatic escalation of the in-river harvest fisheries for those enhanced chums and the demise of T & C steelhead has gone completely unnoticed (purposely?) by those we pay to "manage" an iconic public resource. If the Coldwater Band is serious about restoring Thompson steelhead abundance they might want to start by bringing pressure to bear on all those downstream FNs that have reduced the number of steelhead reaching Thompson tributaries ever since they began ratcheting up their net fishing for enhanced chums (mostly for their roe).

Another sadly neglected component of the steelhead picture here is the simple and obvious fact that we can't keep blaming compromised freshwater habitat, pinnipeds and the deep blue sea for the T & C ills. One only has to look at winter steelhead in the lower Fraser tributaries and, more importantly, summer steelhead in the tiny little Coquihalla River. The latter represents a minute fraction of the steelhead habitat of either of its two upstream neighbours and it has been seriously compromised by the Coquihalla Coldwater highway, not to mention the original Kinder Morgan pipeline. Yet, it continues to produce a relatively steady supply of steelhead that exceeds the combined total of the T & C. Those lower Fraser winter steelhead tributaries may not be as good as we'd all like but they too absolutely do not demonstrate the same unidirectional trend in abundance as T & C.

The only factor that differs between these other examples and the T & C is in-river netting by the lower Fraser FNs. The former do not see nets because they immigrate during times when they are not deployed. End of story! All good if pipeline upgrade habitat issues rule the day but that is still far out there in the fog. In the meantime, how about we start with the recovery of the revered Thompson steelhead by putting the crosshairs where they belong here and now?!

https://www.nationalobserver.com/…/canada-considers-emergen…

What is wrong with that photo above?

That's what happens when your fishery is closed just about everywhere expect for a few hatchery systems, Just throw up your hands and say close it all. We arnt far from that happen with salmon, lots of people that want to see the coast shut down for a few years,

All the seals we shoot won't help these steelhead if there is wall to wall gillnets in the Fraser from August till Novemeber!
Agreed. DFO in CR said 230 ghost gillnets taken out of upper Fraser that were left there. I think we need a combination of predator removal and cleaning up the FN fisheries.

Funny how Bob claims;

"we can't keep blaming compromised freshwater habitat, pinnipeds and the deep blue sea for the T & C ills. One only has to look at winter steelhead in the lower Fraser tributaries and, more importantly, summer steelhead in the tiny little Coquihalla River. The latter represents a minute fraction of the steelhead habitat of either of its two upstream neighbours and it has been seriously compromised by the Coquihalla Coldwater highway, not to mention the original Kinder Morgan pipeline. Yet, it continues to produce a relatively steady supply of steelhead that exceeds the combined total of the T & C. Those lower Fraser winter steelhead tributaries may not be as good as we'd all like but they too absolutely do not demonstrate the same unidirectional trend in abundance as T & C. The only factor that differs between these other examples and the T & C is in-river netting by the lower Fraser FNs. The former do not see nets because they immigrate during times when they are not deployed. End of story!"

Well the opposite is occurring in the Gold river where there is netting on Gold river during the summer for sockeye but the Heber summer run has been up to historical high returns. It is the winter run that has collapsed when there is no netting to blame. The invertebrate abundances in each stream is a match to the sh populations which explains it is to do with chemistry within the fw environment. I can appreciate Bobs passion to have fn fisheries accountable but his assessment of the situation badly lacks any science or biology!!

Don't forget about the gill netting for Chinook during May, June, and July when Coastal Fraser Summer Runs are migrating through the Fraser.

One just has to ask the FN around the mouth of the silverhope how many summer runs they get the last week of June. These steelhead luckily are way smaller than the fall fish and can slip through some gillnets. The fall fish almost all of them being over 12lbs don't escape the gillnet grids.

So let be clear gain. You can keep on trashing in river fisheries, but the members of the MCC want them?

Here is a paper from one of them.

https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/fi..._Sockeye_Fisheris_in_the_Skeena_Watershed.pdf

From Page 2 as quoted:

An alternative vision is to recreate and grow First Nations selective in-river and terminal fisheries. Because most of these fisheries occur in relatively terminal areas,they can generate economic benefits while also maintaining healthy and diverse salmon populations in the watershed. By working with First Nations to recreate the selective in-river and terminal fisheries,managers can work towards solutions that benefit both local economies and salmon biodiversity

This information is all public, and I am only passing on the information.

I just renewed my fresh water license. For the first time in 43 years I did not purchase a steelhead tag. I live on Vancouver Island, a former steelhead mecca. Winter steelhead are in dire straights up and down the island with remnant populations hanging on in a few places. The province f....d up the hatchery program years ago and instead of fixing it just gave up. Now they do the odd swim count and tell us how few are in the river and whose fault it is that things are so grim. After fishing less and less and catching fewer and fewer fish I finally stopped going. This past season I never even made a cast for a steelhead. I never, ever, thought it would come to this, very sad.

Last edited:
Terminal and selective fisheries on Fraser and tribs is exactly what is needed, but proper monitoring needs to be in place, and enforced. Sadly, self policing of this fishery is not working.

And yet it works so well elsewhere.

SelfRegulate.jpg

Take care.

Back