Staying fresh on the chuck

I got the prescription from a doc in Otolaryngology, who did a sleep study. I was hooked up to a monitor overnight, and he found that I was stopping breathing 8-10 times/minute! So he prescribed the mandibular gizmo, it was paid for by Medicare ($500) and it is effective, my wife says my snoring is more like a gentle-purr, and I no longer stop breathing. It took a couple nights to get used to having my jaw pulled forward, no longer an issue. If I nap on the couch without it, my wife waks me up, I snore so loud!! Years ago, I used the mold-in-boiling-water mouthpieces, they were pretty good, but not as good as one made by the dentist to exactly fit your teeth. They fit better, the boiling ones are a little thick.

Sorry to the original poster.....not meaning to sidetrack.

Appreciate the info as I have been thinking about a C-Pap

Right on. I"m scheduled for the Moutcha Bay kayak Derby at end of August, having doubts about whether it will come off!
We are closed down here in Puget Sound (MA11 off Vashon Island) for the months of May and June. No real reason!!

Try one of the moldable mouthpieces, you'll only be out 25-40 bucks if it doesn;t work. CPAP is a whole nother PITA, IMO.
Talk to someone who uses the CPAP before you jump in.

Try one of the moldable mouthpieces, you'll only be out 25-40 bucks if it doesn;t work. CPAP is a whole nother PITA, IMO.
Talk to someone who uses the CPAP before you jump in.

Ya....my brother in law uses one and swears by it.

I got the prescription from a doc in Otolaryngology, who did a sleep study. I was hooked up to a monitor overnight, and he found that I was stopping breathing 8-10 times/minute! So he prescribed the mandibular gizmo, it was paid for by Medicare ($500) and it is effective, my wife says my snoring is more like a gentle-purr, and I no longer stop breathing. It took a couple nights to get used to having my jaw pulled forward, no longer an issue. If I nap on the couch without it, my wife waks me up, I snore so loud!! Years ago, I used the mold-in-boiling-water mouthpieces, they were pretty good, but not as good as one made by the dentist to exactly fit your teeth. They fit better, the boiling ones are a little thick.

I have the cpap machine. It blows air up your nose constantly through a face mask which takes a bit to get used to but works really well if you can tolerate the mask. There’s a place over on richmond, Cansleep that lets you trial a unit for a month for free. Some places charge 200$ for the mask. And stay away from vital air across from hillside mall. They only care about selling you a machine regardless if you need it or not and don’t understand privacy.

The cpap machine is more expensive than the mouthpiece though (2500$) but was covered under my plan.

I’ve used a CPAP machine for about 7 years. Changed my life! Sleep through the night, don’t even get up to pee - and I’m 71. Take it every where - Europe several times and on fishing trips as well. As long as there’s power, I’m good. Yep, it’s unwieldy, but it only took a few nights to get used to it, but, man the benefits...

I’ve used a CPAP machine for about 7 years. Changed my life! Sleep through the night, don’t even get up to pee - and I’m 71. Take it every where - Europe several times and on fishing trips as well. As long as there’s power, I’m good. Yep, it’s unwieldy, but it only took a few nights to get used to it, but, man the benefits...

ha! Laughed at the pee comment. I used to get up 4 - 6x a night to pee. Thought I had prostate issue. Thankfully not! Now I sleep through the night and dream again. And I don’t need naps anymore. Glorious.

ha! Laughed at the pee comment. I used to get up 4 - 6x a night to pee. Thought I had prostate issue. Thankfully not! Now I sleep through the night and dream again. And I don’t need naps anymore. Glorious.

Hmmm....makes me think! Maybe that would keep me in bed all night, instead of 2-3 trips to the head. But I do indeed have a 77-year old prostate. Used to be able to write my girlfriend's name in the snow, now lucky to post my initials!!!

Stretching exercises with some yoga actually helped me with my energy. A quick session first thing and a more thorough one after dinner.
Ya....my brother in law uses one and swears by it.
My c-pap machine changed my life. I was stopping breathing up to 30 times an hour and my oxygen levels were down 25%

Last edited:
On my fishing trips i always used to try and pack a thousand things in during the day and end up coming home completely utterly exhausted. ( “ ok were gonna set prawn gear then go get our salmon then go off shore and get our lings and hali and and and”) now i have learned to temper my expectations and enjoy the views and the experience a bit more. i try not to hit the nitecap scotch too hard and go to bed at a decent hour, get up super early and knock it off early whether or not i have limited or not. go back to cabin or whatever have a good breakfast and and try and nap. ( i never do but i try ) the multi day trips are supposed to be fun not come home and be a zombie for days

90 days straight last summer fishing and I suggest a few basics covered here and a couple more
1. Boat with sun cover, lifesaver when sunny
2. Hat with broad rim and the tail on the neck
3. Sunglasses....always
4. Lots of water all day long
5. Suntan lotion on face
6. Long sleeve Columbia guide series uv shirts and the Columbia Blood and Guts pants. Dont sweat with these
7. No booze
8. Early to bed
9. Healthy snacks when baggy

I'm in my 60's, snore too loadly and could stand to loose 25 pounds. Sleep apnea likely

Keep fishing

90 days straight last summer fishing and I suggest a few basics covered here and a couple more
1. Boat with sun cover, lifesaver when sunny
2. Hat with broad rim and the tail on the neck
3. Sunglasses....always
4. Lots of water all day long
5. Suntan lotion on face
6. Long sleeve Columbia guide series uv shirts and the Columbia Blood and Guts pants. Dont sweat with these
7. No booze
8. Early to bed
9. Healthy snacks when baggy

I'm in my 60's, snore too loadly and could stand to loose 25 pounds. Sleep apnea likely

Keep fishing
Rockstar.

Something I did not mention earlier is that if you are older with health issues as I am and prone to having low energy/tired from the Chemo etc. there is a trade off between money and convenience that leads to being less tired or at least being able to cope with it.
There are advantages and disadvantages to trailering or putting your boat into a marina slip. For me putting the boat in a marina really works well because at the end of a long day I am done, and it is just park the boat in the slip, pack up, clean the fish and pack them to the car and my fishing buddies do that. It is worth the cost to me to have the marina slip and I accept that I can only fish one area although it is much more of an issue now with all the new politically motivated restrictions and very short Chinook season on South VI because I cannot take the boat to where you are allowed to fish.

Back