Stay Tuned....Salmon Allocation Policy Review Overview

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
Salmon Allocation Policy Review Overview Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)

has embarked on a collaborative process with First Nations and stakeholders to review and update the 1999 Pacific Salmon Allocation Policy (SAP). The existing Policy sets out a series of principles for allocating salmon in BC among the three harvest groups (First Nations food, social and ceremonial; commercial; and recreational) and within the commercial fishery among gear types (gillnet, seine and troll). The full text of “An Allocation Policy for Pacific Salmon (1999)” may be found here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/species-especes/salmon-saumon/pol/indexeng.html.

Since the SAP was first adopted twenty years ago, there have been significant changes to fisheries management, policy, and Indigenous rights. For example, today, treaties and reconciliation agreements are being signed and implemented. There have also been increased conservation requirements for stocks of concern, as salmon returns have become more uncertain. In the recent BC Supreme Court Ahousaht decision, the SAP principle of priority of allocation to the recreational fishery for Chinook and Coho over the right-based fishery of five Nuu-chah-nulth Nations (Ahousaht, Ehattesaht/Chinekint, Hesquiaht, Mowachaht/ Muchalaht, and Tla-o-qui-aht) was found to be an unjustified infringement of their Aboriginal rights.

Following this decision, then Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard the Honourable Dominic Leblanc made a public statement that the Department would work in collaboration with Indigenous groups and stakeholders to renew and co-develop the 1999 SAP.

The Department has initiated a phased approach to develop an updated Policy involving a high degree of collaboration with First Nations, the recreational and commercial fishing sectors, and the Province of B.C. We have engaged the services of an independent facilitator (Tawney Lem Consulting Inc.) to support the collaborative process.

We are currently in Phase 1 of the review, working on the collaborative development of a Terms of Reference to guide the scope and process of the review. Meetings have occurred with First Nations Fisheries Council working group, the five Nuu-chah-nulth Nations, the Commercial Salmon Advisory Board and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board, and the independent facilitators have developed a draft Terms of Reference (TOR) based on these discussions. Consultations on the draft TOR will be taking place this Fall 2020.

I would say it is the begining of the end , but I am afraid the begining was some time ago.
I am sure everyone has heard the term "boiling the frog", well I would say we are up to 50 degrees already.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't fight the good fight though. Always better to go down swinging.

I would say it is the begining of the end , but I am afraid the begining was some time ago.
In WA state & AK Chinook catches began declining in the 1880's, with hatcheries on the Columbia river to mitigate environmental damage 20 or so years before that.

did you mean to say 1980's?
Sadly, no. Alaska MAY have been the first place to experience extinct Chinook runs. In the SEAK (South East Alaska) commercial troll fishery, about 97% of the Chinook catch are non-Alaskan fish):
http://wildfishconservancy.org/imag...ome2011journalchart.jpg/image_view_fullscreen

The chart is outdated but everybody involved that is not from Alaska seems to agree the data is current. A concept of the Pacific Salmon Treaty is "catch equity"; where each country (Canada/US) is allowed to catch a quantity of salmon related to the number of salmon each countries "home rivers" produce. AK catches BC salmon (and a lot of other US fish), BC catches WA/OR/CA salmon to make-up. Chinook are the primary species subject to this "interception". It is well-known amongst those involved with this allocation process that this very bad for conservation.

Back