Stator woes

Burban

Hey all, the stator went on my 1988 Merc 90hp outboard. The replacement from Merc was quoted at 670 + tax. Anyone familiar with any reputable after market companies for stators?

One big difference between the oem part and the aftermarket stators Im seeing is the original Merc stators are encased in a rubber (nylon?) coating. I've read that this caused some to over heat and fail so they don't coat them anymore. That makes sense to me, but I'm not excited about the copper windings being open to air under the fly wheel. Obviously it wont see water but we all now what salt air does to connections so the thought of exposed windings makes me think twice about it? Anyone have any experience with these types of stators and have any thoughts on the longevity of the exposed stators?

I had a bad experience buying an aftermarket electric motor for my power tilt so Im leary on which is the harder pill to swallow, 670 merc part, or rolling the dice on an unknown stator...

Im no mechanic but at least I can do the swap myself so I save the shock value of paying a shop rate on the fix, but fook me guys, its prime time out there in the SoG!!

Yes, the question is not whether there are parts out there; there are. The question is - is it worth it to try the cheaper aftermarket alternatives or just bite the bullet on the oem part.

I already bought an aftermarket pump for my power tilt and regretted it big time. It caused me a ton of headache and I had to write it off and pony up for the merc part in the end anyway. But now several people are telling me to go for an aftermarket stator... which is why I'm appealing to yall to see if anyone's had any good experiences to boost my confidence in aftermarket parts.

Nice to keep a good old outboard running, but when it comes to those prices for OEM replacement
parts ?
I would seriously consider an upgrade.

Valid point Scott, but an upgrade isn't in the budget currently. My better half is at BCIT for another year and half, and two more years on truck payments so if I want to keep my boat fishing in the meantime I have to work with what I have.

While a 30 year old 2 stroke doesn't sound like a great platform to be working with, its actually in better shape then you may suspect. I bought it from a mechanic in the Okanagan 3 years ago and had him tear it down and rebuild it at that time. It was freshwater run its whole life had zero rust anywhere and under the cowl it looked amazing before its time with me on the salt... now its apparent its a saltwater engine. Up until the stator failure its ran like a dream. Compression is still good, I just checked it. I feel strongly once I fix the electrical issue, and continue maintaining it properly Ill get another 2 years out of it.... at which point Ill own my truck and a new or almost new motor will be a realistic option.

Do what I did...spend that $670 on the same motor someone has for sale for parts.....strip it own and put all the good parts in a tote. When you need something you have your own personal parts store.

Damn Tubber, close! Im part number 398-9710A12. That would have been a sweet scoop for the stator, switchbox AND coil packs, thats basically the whole electrical system on these older motors. Thanks for the link.

Good tip Profisher, ill look harder for a used parts motor.

Thanks guys.

There has got to be some one around where you are that salvages used outboards. Put an ad in craigslist or another on-line marketplace. I know that here in the Campbell River area there are at least three local small businesses that sell outboard used parts. You might even try the fellow you bought it from.

Thanks for the good suggestions yall, Ill look for a parts motor and call around to some local marinas/shops and see if they have anything around.

One big difference between the oem part and the aftermarket stators Im seeing is the original Merc stators are encased in a rubber (nylon?) coating. I've read that this caused some to over heat and fail so they don't coat them anymore. That makes sense to me, but I'm not excited about the copper windings being open to air under the fly wheel. Obviously it wont see water but we all now what salt air does to connections so the thought of exposed windings makes me think twice about it? Anyone have any experience with these types of stators and have any thoughts on the longevity of the exposed stators?

Still curious about the aftermarket stators tho, anyone tried any of these? CDI is one brand that keeps coming up.

I replaced the stator on my old Yamaha Enduro, It was wrapped in a type of grease paper, but there was plenty of copper showing, but it was coated with a clear covering, shellac or something similar. Not the slightest bit of corrosion that I noticed. I replaced it with one from an engine that had seized the lower piston.

Original stator on my 115 Merc tower lasted 3 years...
$200 us for a new stator with 2 year warranty and you want to buy a used engine and see if the used part works?
http://www.cdielectronics.com/warranty-2/
Not exactly a fly by night company..

lol. I started this thread to ask people if they had any experience with aftermarket stators in an effort to ease my mind on ordering one after having a truly terrible experience buying an aftermarket power tilt motor. I don't "want" to buy an entire parts engine but I've been making an effort to be open minded about suggestions.

Are you saying you've ordered a replacement aftermarket stator after your 115 Merc oem stator? When you say "tower" are you referring to the mid-80's tower of power and therefore suggesting you've been running an aftermarket stator since.... when?

If you haven't already, try calling around the merc dealers. They all will likely have used bins of stuff. I know lordship does but that's evinrude. I know a guy with a 100 hp tower of power not running g if that helps.
Viking

Mine was a 1982 115hp Merc tower of power, replaced the stator with oem in 1986 and sold engine about 2003.
Didn't have internet back then so didn't know about CDI. It's just the oem ones were probably manufactured in the 80's, plastic coating already cracking up? and I'll buy into CDI's claims they engineer them better to be more reliable. They have been around 30 years and manufacture hundreds of items onsite in the USA. Hopefully built better than a tilt motor China can pound out for $1.28

Thanks for the tips yall. Ended up ordering a replacement from CDI over the weekend. There were options to upgrade the ampage of the charging system to 16amps, which required a voltage regulator but I cheaped out and went with the original 9amp. It'll be just under $400 canadian by the time it gets to my doorstep, which is not too bad compared to merc original for 670+tax or the upgraded merc stator/charging system for 1070.

Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope it works and she fires up when she gets here! The fishing has been on fire lately.

Back