Start of a electronic's upgrade to the Sculpin

nedarb, I'm going by what David Murphy told me directly, that he has used pretty much every TD out there and by far the B744 was the best for our waters,
and now has at least 1 on every one of his boats, its not all about sensitivty either cone angle plays a major role in it, you want to be able to see as much of the bottom as possible and not focus on a 4' square patch

thats interesting, good to know that thanks, ill make sure i give them a good look before any purchase is made.

Sculpin-I bet you are busy digesting those prawns-LOL! but I am dying to see more pictures of your boat!! Just sitting with paper and pencil designing fuel and electric system- Harbor Chandler did not recoment racor filters, so I am thinking this over as they have never given me bad advice and would sell me any filter system I order...more research...

Sculpin-I bet you are busy digesting those prawns-LOL! but I am dying to see more pictures of your boat!! Just sitting with paper and pencil designing fuel and electric system- Harbor Chandler did not recoment racor filters, so I am thinking this over as they have never given me bad advice and would sell me any filter system I order...more research...

I find that one a bit of a surprise. What did they recommend?

I love my racor and would NOT run a boat without one.

Did NOT recommend Racor? That is the first time I have ever heard that! I've near owned a boat that didn't have at least one and have never had a problem.

Go with a Racor, got some bad fuel and it stopped the water from reaching the injection system. The filter was full of water and shut it off.

SOLAS 21micron gasoline fuel filter/water separator
Part No. Part Name
NMW211 Fuel Filter (11/16"-16 21 micron)
NMW212 Fuel Filter (11/16"-16 10 micron)

SOLAS 21micron gasoline fuel filter/water separator
Part No. Part Name
NMW211 Fuel Filter (11/16"-16 21 micron)
NMW212 Fuel Filter (11/16"-16 10 micron)

I can see the micron count improves quite a bit in the NMW211 filter. The NMW212 is the same as the current Racor filter I'm running. I wonder what the fuel flow rate is compared to the Racor? Vacuum? All this reaks havoc on performance.

Just by re-ajusting my fuel system with the sensor and the brass components and "t" for the kicker I have noticed a drop in performance. I think I may have screwed the pooch in this set up as I re read the installation instructions and they say no "t"'s behind the sensor and that you need a sensor for each engine! I wonder how much the calibration can be off by doing it the way I have it set up now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the micron count improves quite a bit in the NMW211 filter. The NMW212 is the same as the current Racor filter I'm running. I wonder what the fuel flow rate is compared to the Racor? Vacuum? All this reaks havoc on performance.

Just by re-ajusting my fuel system with the sensor and the brass components and "t" for the kicker I have noticed a drop in performance. I think I may have screwed the pooch in this set up as I re read the installation instructions and they say no "t"'s behind the sensor and that you need a sensor for each engine! I wonder how much the calibration can be off by doing it the way I have it set up now?

I have a tee for my kicker as well. As I was saying before it is out about 1-2 liters in a 300 liter fill. Always says I burnt more fuel that I put back in. Definately accurate enough for my needs. Just looked and the tee is after the sensor on the outlet of the motor fuel filter. I still have an inline filter between the tank and the sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sculpin,

I just came across this picture and thought you might like to see how this guy mounted his thru-hull transducer.

TransducerBracket.jpg

Highliner, did you get to chat with him on how it works? I would like to try that.
Hey Sculpin,

I just came across this picture and thought you might like to see how this guy mounted his thru-hull transducer.

TransducerBracket.jpg

No, this boat is for sale up in Alaska. I was just browsing and happened to notice it. I've hear that thru-hulls work well this way on aluminum boats.

Thanks for the info it has just sparked my inventive fuel.

Hey Highliner, yeah I saw that one cruising boats too lol. Looks like the same idea as "nolucks" posted earlier but with a bigger and more expensive transducer. Those things are huge and that big boat makes it look just right on there. Might look funny off the back of my girl. I can't tell from the picture but the mount is flat and that boat has a deep v and it looks like the mount is right at the bottom of the v so I see some serious turbulance issues going on there possibly. Hard to tell without seeing it from the side. Thanks for posting it.

just installed mine in the pod- went to great lengths to get it perpendicular and then started to wonder how often the boat is perpendicular on the water as opposed to sitting on the trailer?

Back