Start of a electronic's upgrade to the Sculpin

When sweat and tears pay off! Now you work on your toys in the dry, does it get any better?

When sweat and tears pay off! Now you work on your toys in the dry, does it get any better?

Right now I'm thinking it doesn't!. I'm really enjoying the shed. I waited 3.5 years to finally be able to build a shelter for her.

I'm looking at replacing the OEM transducer with something a bit better. I have been looking into an Airmar P66 or similar. Anyone have experience with these units? How do you like them? I have seen some through hull type transducers mounted to brackets off the transom before. Could look into that as well.

Harbour Chandler (see Mike) has thru hulls for your application- Just bought on (haven't tried it yet) going to mount it in my pod.

Harbour Chandler (see Mike) has thru hulls for your application- Just bought on (haven't tried it yet) going to mount it in my pod.

Which brand / model did you go with MRACER? It would be cool to see how you mounted in your pod when you get it finished.

I'm looking at replacing the OEM transducer with something a bit better. I have been looking into an Airmar P66 or similar. Anyone have experience with these units? How do you like them? I have seen some through hull type transducers mounted to brackets off the transom before. Could look into that as well.

Upgraded from the stock 83-200 on my HDS7 to the airmar B60 thru hull. Made a big difference, I can track bottom at 22knt and 500ft. You won't be sorry.

Which brand / model did you go with MRACER? It would be cool to see how you mounted in your pod when you get it finished.
will post a picture when done- have to tack in a flat piece on the pod cause it is V'd to match the hull. Mike at HC ordered 2 when I got mine so he still has one under the counter- around 200 bucks Ithink,but I always hated the transducer in the open on the stern--just waiting for that inopportune time to pi** me off. LOL

will post a picture when done- have to tack in a flat piece on the pod cause it is V'd to match the hull. Mike at HC ordered 2 when I got mine so he still has one under the counter- around 200 bucks Ithink,but I always hated the transducer in the open on the stern--just waiting for that inopportune time to pi** me off. LOL

Is this the unit you went with MRACER:)?

IMG_1871.jpg

That sure looks like the right one- packaging is correct, but I don't have the numbers handy- Is that from HC? Denise knows the one also.

You're living my dream Sculpin. I would never leave that garage if I had a space like that to play around in.

That sure looks like the right one- packaging is correct, but I don't have the numbers handy- Is that from HC? Denise knows the one also.

Yeah it's from HC. As soon as I said some guy just bought one and you have two of them they knew right away.

Here is my existing set up.

IMG_1862.jpg

They work fine while trolling or running slow but I loose bottom most of the time on step. The way they are mounted is probably causing too much turbulence.

IMG_1863.jpg

Here is the under side of my pod. A few folks have pointed out that the weld seam from the hull to pod will be a problem. I wonder if I fair that weld out if it will work.

IMG_1865.jpg

Here is a shot of the Delta planing pad that I could mount it on further up the hull but I don't like having holes in my hull.

IMG_1873.jpg

I have always had issues with any transducer hanging off the transom. Although it took me two days to get up enough nerve to put a hole in the bottom of my boat, I am very happy with the results.

I have always had issues with any transducer hanging off the transom. Although it took me two days to get up enough nerve to put a hole in the bottom of my boat, I am very happy with the results.

I'm thinking offside of the centerline weld somewhere a couple of feet up the hull on that planing pad. I think I can get over the hole thing too.

Should work as long as there is no turbulence. Looks like you could build it up to the same level and smooth it out just fine.

That's the poser!!TURBULANCE!! HOW TO GET IT IN SMOOTH WATER AFTER MAKING A FLAT SPOT ON THE POD???? Gonna be more work than I thought- wish I had sculpin's talent and shop (in that order!)lol

Should work as long as there is no turbulence. Looks like you could build it up to the same level and smooth it out just fine.

I've seen folks actually use JB weld to smooth out welds under the water line. I'm hoping I can make something work shortly. I really need to get back on the water. I might wait a month or so before the transducer thing is resolved as I really want to blast off the sh*tty bottom paint job and have a nice paint job applied. The other thing I have to think about is where to mount the structure scan transducer!!!!

That's the poser!!TURBULANCE!! HOW TO GET IT IN SMOOTH WATER AFTER MAKING A FLAT SPOT ON THE POD???? Gonna be more work than I thought- wish I had sculpin's talent and shop (in that order!)lol

If you are near Nanaimo then PM me and maybe we can help each other out with some of these projects:).

Hey Sculpin, I mounted my structure scan transducer right in the center of my pod.I cut a piece of 1/4" alum the same width but just a little longer then the transducer,welded a arrow head shaped gaurd in the front of it to deflect any debris,drilled and tapped out the holes to mount the transducer to it and then tacked it to the bottom of my pod.Worked awesome,never lost bottom even at W.O.T. It's on Bryce's son's boat now,maybe he can post a pic of it

Hey Sculpin, I mounted my structure scan transducer right in the center of my pod.I cut a piece of 1/4" alum the same width but just a little longer then the transducer,welded a arrow head shaped gaurd in the front of it to deflect any debris,drilled and tapped out the holes to mount the transducer to it and then tacked it to the bottom of my pod.Worked awesome,never lost bottom even at W.O.T. It's on Bryce's son's boat now,maybe he can post a pic of it

Hope he does. I would love to see that set upl:cool::).

Back