Stangest Catch

falcon1

What are your guys strangest catches? Mine isn't that weird, but a 15lb chum that wasn't supposed to be around for another month or two. I'm sure you guys can top me easily.

I don't really have one, but my brother in law landed a 10'6 mooching rod and reel, which happended to have a 32 lb spring still attached to the other end. Up around the Port McNeill area quite a few years back.

I don't really have one, but my brother in law landed a 10'6 mooching rod and reel, which happended to have a 32 lb spring still attached to the other end. Up around the Port McNeill area quite a few years back.

tough to beat that! lol good one

Burnsy's story is impossible to beat lol.

I'm fairly certain I caught an Atlantic... But threw it back because I was embarrassed I couldn't properly ID it. One was landed by Sonora the same day.

in 2009 we landed a 12lb coho that had gotten tangled in our mainline nowhere near our hook!! thought it was the biggest fluke in the world until we did the same thing the next day as well!!!??? got the second one on video.

This will really get the doubters riled up on here but never mind, according to my log books which are a heck of a lot better than my memory on August 17 1972 a guest of Painters Lodge that I was guiding at the time caught and landed a fourteen pound tuna ( exact species unknown) but definitely a tuna on a fly rod while fishing a Fuddle Duddle polar bear hair bucktail (purple over pink and white). We were fishing in shallow water at a place guides knew then as Butlers Point on the south end of Quadra Island just across the passage from Campbell River. There were others caught that day in the immediate vicinity but I have never run into them again so it must have been a lost school that had made its way into the Georgia Straits. I do remember how hard it fought , it took over an hour to land and my guest managed to snap off both handles of a Hardy Marquis no.1 fly reel before the fish was boated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool story.... I like the sounds of that! Screw the 50 mile offshore BS. I hope they get lost again :rolleyes:

a bald eagle while salmon fishing, had a little rock cod on the bottom rod so popped of the top rod and let the anchovy float to the top, when this eagle come down and grabs it

Love the tuna tale.

I caught an eagle once. It hit on a seagull I was trolling mid-air. I had deceived the seagull with an anchovy trolled close to the surface.

I've posted this one before, but worth repeating. Long lining around Race Rocks, we hauled up a boat transom with a pair of men's undies hanging off it, and a landing net a few more meters down the string.

An albatross.

A big 6 gill.

A trout rod with a trout hanging off it. Not as cool as the story above. The trout was about 8 inches. Bust have pulled the rod off a precarious fishing spot on the bluff at Spectacle Lake. Trout was dead and decomposing; bloated, it floated to the surface. That's how come we found it.

Those are some that come to mind.

Strangest catch was this Mola caught of Kyuquot 2005

P8280002_zps1d7cfffe.jpg

P8280004_zpsc0608fd3.jpg

Weirdest one we caught was a chinook with a barbed hook out its arse and a couple hundred feet of line connected to that hook out his mouth down river behind him. Yes I have posted this before...He was released after removing this hook and line. Anyone that can pass a barbed hook should be given a second chance.

Also caught a fly rod once with married hooks in the salt water. Best yet I was the coho rigger rod that we had lost that same day..It was a 8wt st croix. It was very nice to see again....:)

That is awesome! How come everyne is catching fishing rods? I so want that to happen to me.

A 20+lb spring, in Mabel Lake while trout fishing. 60km NE of Vernon!

2 Seagulls on 1 plug.

3 seagulls on one peice of raw bacon, no hook, takes an hour or 2 to get numbers 2 and 3. Like a kite but sicker.

2010: An anchor with 25 feet of chain and 200 feet of half inch rope attached in 200 feet of water out at Constance. Good thing as the next day lost my anchor with 25 feet of chain and 250 feet of rope attached at Race Rocks.

GJ

Plastic bag with a six pack of beer on a hot day.
Not much of a fight but it tasted good.

Strangest catch was this Mola caught of Kyuquot 2005

What did it hit on?:rolleyes:

A ladies bathing suit.... sans lady...

One of those starfish things that look like a coral, and move fast. That was neat.

Sea cucumbers... Before I realized they are like a scallop bacon.. The next one is getting bonked... once I figure how to KO a sea cucumber.

Back