Stamp River Service Road

Derby

Crew Member
Hi all,
Does anyone have the story on why service road gateon the Stamp River is now locked? Heard a story just wondered if anyone heard anything?

Sounds like someone had a good fire going down where you pull your boat out?.Not sure just know it was locked today and it was a good thing I didn't drop my boat in first.Guess one needs to talk to the city and find out if we need to buy key's like the Cowichan river
=:(

CRAP!

Please let us know anything you might find out in this regard!
Wondering now just what happened, and it will become an excuse to permanently eliminate one of the few boat access points...

Nog

I'm out that way tomorrow and will check again. If not I cannot make any call till next wqeek. Will keep you in the loop
=:D

hey guys newbie here, the gate you are talking about is it on the left just past the airport?

Hey Newb, no its not. Service Rd leads to Somass Park. Great little boat launch and ******** area after a day on the flow:D

Pass the Pack

nice pics bacon....good thing u caught that in the salt....cause if u caught it in the rvr...u would prob. get an ear full!!!LMFAO

That place is becoming a joke. Our drift boat is becoming a garage ornament. Unless we are running the jet the river and it's launches are becoming pointless. I have written many letters to the city councel asking why they wouldn't want to promote and create a more user friendly system. After all the money and effort that is dropped into that system you would think they would try to attract more people by offering a usable drifbboat launch.

We should be putting pressure on the Minstry to be getting more access to the rivers with proper launchs and take outs.Just look at the Cowichan you need $200 for keys.

We once upon a time we were able to launch below the bucket till some people didn't pay the launching fee's & left their gargabe all over the place.The property owners answer was the big log across the road. Maybe it's time re-approach the the owner and see if this can be done?

quote:Originally posted by Derby

Maybe it's time re-approach the the owner and see if this can be done?

The owner is currently quite ill. Methinks it would be best to leave him alone at this time.

You can always stop in at the office (trailer) and ask. All they can do is turn you away. A few of the Ladz still get access, chiefly locals who know the Man personally and of course always played by the rules...

Cheers,
Nog

So... the options are now these:

Buy a membership/daily pass at the rifle range and launch your raft down the bank and take out at service Rd.

Put your driftboat in at the Hatchery and takeout at the falls.
( you better know your boat through the rock garden during low water!)

Put your jet in at service Rd.

Put your jet in at the Hatchery.

Use the yellow gate on the Sproat and drift through the confluence and pull out at Service Rd.

Buch's place at the shingle mill is no longer available to the masses. Forget about using the connector Rd. That leads to the bucket. It's been blocked off by a giant log. Also using his property to access the beach just under the power lines is now blocked by fencing.

That pretty much sums it up although the Hatchery launch is up for closure unless it has already taken place. Whats the latest there guys?

HL

...oh and I almost forgot dumping the NRS in at the slide pool. Now theres a treat. It better serves a pontoon boat at lower water though , but it can be done.

Hatchery launch closed? That would create a bit of a problem. I can't see the "powers to be" in Port letting that happen..:(

Pass the Pack

Yep, the hatchery launch is closed. Now you have to put in at the cable car. It can be a bit fun when the water is low...

Anyone know why the launch is closed? Don't our tax dollars pay for that hatchery? Pissed right off!!:(

Pass the Pack

Back