Stamp river Havoc

Also curious. Thinking of camping on the Stamp for a few days. Wonder if there are any coho going up the river yet.

I hear they are being caught in the inlet but pretty sure it is still alitle early for any real numbers in the river.

1 Coho and 1 Spring today, 200 mts down from bucket. Pretty slow day, heard there was a native fishery with nets accross river yesterday. So if this is fact I guess reason enough for it being so slow today,

Got back from there an hour ago... Somass Park area. Not alot showing. The guys on the upper area got a few, lower area only a couple were hooked. Water is up so fish were dispersed over a larger area. And,, yup, there was a food fishery down river.

Went for a boat ride a few days ago, the conveyor belt turned on in the lower at high tide. Lots of springs and coho on the move. With the high water and bait open on the lower the blue wool didn't come out. Picked up a few clean summers at alligator and mossy. Sure feels good to run around with a big bag of borax in the boat!!

Went for a boat ride a few days ago, the conveyor belt turned on in the lower at high tide. Lots of springs and coho on the move. With the high water and bait open on the lower the blue wool didn't come out. Picked up a few clean summers at alligator and mossy. Sure feels good to run around with a big bag of borax in the boat!!

facebook_like_button_big.jpg

I am new to the island, just moved to Comox in the summer. I think I will drive down to try the Stamp on the weekend. Only fished there once several years ago. We fished around the gun range. Don't know the area well, any suggestions on where to go? Thanks. Alan

Just got back from the area you mention(gun range) river has risen a couple of feet over night and was VERY fast today. There was about a dozen people fishing today and only saw 1 fish caught. Where as the other day we were all catching fish.

Drat, just looked at weekend weather for Port Alberni. Calls for rain. If the rain were to hold up, does the Stamp drop pretty quick? Would you consider the river "blown out" or is it worth a drive either Sat or Sun?

I would still go, gives you a chance to walk the river, fish all the holes and you never know. There were still quite a few jumping.

Stamp very high and hard to find room to cast. there are definitely fish moving but tough fishing. Good exercise though

I guess the falls pool will open soon, Do you think the airport side will be free to fish this year or do we have to ask the two guys from last year if it is ok to fish their honey hole?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the falls pool will open soon, Do you think the airport side will be free to fish this year or do we have to ask the two guys from last year if it is ok to fish there honey hole?

I laughed at that........;)

Back