Stainless steel hooks singles and trebles

Just like the name says they stain less. Andrew P uses mustad, which is my standard go-to with the 95170 claw point being my preference. They are a very heavy but strong hook. I know that the Iron Needle spoon was designed to get the proper action using Mustad SS hooks; same is most likely true for Tomic plugs. A lighter siwash hook like the owners may give better action on other lures. I don't use trebles. VMC makes stainless "octopus" style hooks. Owners are not stainless. I would get used to rinsing in fresh water & storing them DRY. Mustad Ultra Point Siwash are a light hook, but not stainless.

treble hooks - VMC (high carbon, 2X strong) they are sharp and won't rust. i use with my anchovy rigs.
- Owner, they are also very good, typically stronger than VMC but also generally more expensive.

octopus - Gamakatsu in black nickel are very sharp and very strong, also won't rust if your rinse with fresh water after use.
Mustad Ultra Point is also very good in black nickel finish...

VERY IMPORTANT TO make sure you wash/ rinse your tackle after every fishing trip. this will prevent rust...

the owners I use for stingers on my anchovies definitely rust and I always give them a good wash in fresh water at the end of the day, nice hooks but I'd expect better from owner for the money.

The owner hooks i am using haven't rusted yet but they do get a quick rinse in fresh water. The gamagatsus I was using would get a long rinse in fresh water and rusted regardless after first use. The owner hooks also seem to stay way sharper and I like the shape. Not cheaper in comparison but I'm also not changing as often at all.

The idea behind a hook rusting is if lost on a fish the hook deteriorates and falls out. a ss hook works better but if lost on a fish remains for a long time.

I rigged all my spoons with Mustad Stainless Steel hooks. Either 9510XXXS-SS or 95165 in 4/0 and 6/0 sizes.

My only complaint about either hook is the inability to properly pinch the barbs flat. In order to completely flatten the barb all my spoons now get shipped with the barbs ground down. A very tedious job with a die grinder but I believe that the results are worth the effort.

Just like the name says they stain less. Andrew P uses mustad, which is my standard go-to with the 95170 claw point being my preference. They are a very heavy but strong hook. I know that the Iron Needle spoon was designed to get the proper action using Mustad SS hooks; same is most likely true for Tomic plugs. A lighter siwash hook like the owners may give better action on other lures. I don't use trebles. VMC makes stainless "octopus" style hooks. Owners are not stainless. I would get used to rinsing in fresh water & storing them DRY. Mustad Ultra Point Siwash are a light hook, but not stainless.
Do you use 2 singles on your bait

Ah Gawd don’t start this one with him ha ha
Good memory

Do you use 2 singles on your bai
Yes I do. I bury the front one right behind the dorsal as in the instructions & the second one trails free with the bottom of the hook (the bend part) flush with the end of the baits tail. I uasually use 4/0 singles for both hooks; IMO the front hook catches less than 10% of the time so a smaller front hook would work. Trebles are known for creating drag which affect the action, AND as Tugcaptain has pointed out I attempt to convince my open-minded pals in BC that EVERY state on the West Coast has made them illegal for Salmon fishing. California takes a further step requiring circle hooks when using bait.

My only complaint about either hook is the inability to properly pinch the barbs flat.
I use a vise to crimp the barbs & this results in a smooth hump that hopefully retains the fish a little better. I also use the same vise to squeeze the open eye shut being careful to not let the end of the eye touch the shank - these hooks have been called-out for the eyes breaking.
The gamagatsus I was using would get a long rinse in fresh water and rusted regardless after first use.
My experience with Gamies is that they begin rusting during shipping as the approach the saltwater.

Last edited:
I used gammy hooks....trebles are pure garbage imo. One fish and they are done. Switched to VMCs doing wholesale change this year.

also grabbed the siwash 2x strong to upgrade all **** hooks on lures (skinny g’s specifically), as well as all hoochie setups with the 4/0 VMC siwash.

I now carry 50/50 vinegar / water spray for assisting in the gear rinse. All used gear gets sprayed, into the bucket for final fresh flush at the dock.

I like a rusty hook. I sharpen it deadly sharp.
Hammer in a bright common nail beside a galvanized common. Pull both out with nail bar. The bright common is smooth and pulls out with ease. The galvanized nail is extremely hard to pull because of the rough texture. So I think a sharp rusty hook is less likely to slip. Also if you put a size 7 hook on a spoon I think it screws up the action. I use 4 or 5

Back