stainless fishing pliers ?

I'm trying to find a good quality needle nose fishing plier. something that can remove hooks, cut line etc. Something that won't rust up in a week.
What do you guys use?

I'm trying to find a good quality needle nose fishing plier. something that can remove hooks, cut line etc. Something that won't rust up in a week.
What do you guys use?
I found these quite useful for lighter duty as you describe...until the little cutter by the jaws simply fell off. Neither the manufacturer or the retailer helped out (I simply wanted to buy a replacement cutter instead of a brand new plier).

However, prior to the part falling off, they were quite handy and rust-free. Made by P Line.

Attachments

• adaro-pliers-gold-e1544128148666.jpg
    adaro-pliers-gold-e1544128148666.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 78
I’ve been using Rapala SS pliers for several years. Local shops usually have lots and they’re pretty cheap.

Last edited:
I found these quite useful for lighter duty as you describe...until the little cutter by the jaws simply fell off. Neither the manufacturer or the retailer helped out (I simply wanted to buy a replacement cutter instead of a brand new plier).

However, prior to the part falling off, they were quite handy and rust-free. Made by P Line.

I had a blue set of those for awhile. They were pretty good but unfortunately they sink just as quickly as other pairs over the years! lol

Those p line pliers are aluminum I believe.

On my second pair.

First just wore out and became loose after several years.

The line cutter failed first but rarely used that. Carry line snipper in my pocket.

I have a pair from Home Depot....may have been the brand Husky. They are not the shiny silver steel but have that sort of anodized charcoal grey type appearance to the steel. Bought them at least 5 years ago....likely almost 8 years ago and not a speck of rust on them.

You might want to consider aluminum. There are several on Amazon for $10 or less. Buy a few pairs. They seem to last for at least a couple seasons and then you just toss them and use a new pair.

Another option is to just buy cheapo pliers in the bargain bin at your local hardware store and soak them in 50/50 solution of white vinegar/water after every few trips. The vinegar will remove the rust and keep the pliers from binding up.

I grease all my gear with lunker lotion.
I find rusty pliers loosen up petty nicely with silicon spray, but I did just buy some p-line aluminum as shown above. They’re pretty light so you have to squeeze harder to crimp barbs.
Shouldn’t be a problem for rain”Popeye” city!

Never found a pair of pliers that will not rust or stiffen up after some time of abuse in the salt chuck. Each year Canadian Tire has a Fathers day tool sale, usually $9.99 gets 3 pr of master craft 8" pliers, needle nose, cutters and regular. Perfect timing, good price and they work for the whole season. Next Fathers day another $10 set shows up. Works for me, never have rusty pliers and they always cut, take out hooks and crimp.

HM

Good ones tend to go swimming :(
This is exactly my experience. I had 2 really good (and expensive) pairs of stainless pliers and neither lasted 2 years. Now I use cheaper regular needlenose pliers and treat with WD-40 every week or 2 and maybe a drop or 2 of oil to keep them working properly (I don't expect them to cut wire just remove hooks when I don't use my gaff or other de-hooker). I had one pair last 5+ years before it went overboard. I have one longer angled P-line needlenose pliers (chromed I think) I keep in my cuddy in case I need the extra length. These seem to be holding up but they are dried after use and given a spray of WD-40 and wiped dry again after each use.

...Rob

Hey rob use something besides WD as it mostly contains water and is basiclly solvent get a good protective film like corrosion block or fluid film be way better for everything on your boat

Hey rob use something besides WD as it mostly contains water and is basiclly solvent get a good protective film like corrosion block or fluid film be way better for everything on your boat
I hate how often I have to have this conversation.

Yup in my experience WD-40 is just a temporary lubricant. It was originally designed to displace water - hence the name WD. It easily washes away/evaporates over time. Need something thicker and less water based to be a good lube over time IMO.

Sorry boys but WD40 does not contain any water. Although its not a great lubricant it is a rust fighter and solivent. It does remove moister hence it's name WD ( water displacement ) it does fight rust it's what it was designed to do and for small moving parts will lubrcate fine. It's main ingredient is basically Varsol and mineral spirits.

There is no such thing as "stainless" when it comes to west coast salt water and fishing gear. I buy Channellock needle nose pliers and bring them home 3 times a season to run them over the wire brush wheel to clean them up. Then wd40. I hate the feel of thick oil on my gear getting all over bait and the boat. It ain't perfect but it works.

I discovered Fluid Film some time ago. Quite purposeful but be aware that it's plus is also its negative. One shot on your gear, you 7-pinplug, etc does a great job but it stays around to get on your hands, pants, shirts etc as well

Back