Stacking Gear on Cannon Mag Downriggers

Heavyc

Im wondering if anyone has experience with cannon downriggers. I haven't had much time to test the ones on my dads boat, but as we're planning a Friday trip to Alberni for sox I'm curious if stacking gear on them is a possibility.

If anyone has experience with these units do you mind giving me some pointers? We plan to launch out of Salmon point on wednesday to do some test runs on them, but I'd like to go in with a bit of help.

Im more concerned with the line retrieve on the downrigger. Its not setup like a scotty that you can add stoppers where you want to stack your gear. It uses something called "positive Ion Control" to stop it when the ball breaks the surface of the water.

Have you used the cannon ones Eaglemaniac?

Yes I have. You still have to remove the top release clip manually whether it's a Scotty or a Cannon if your stacking gear. You can manually stop the ascent when your top clip arrives, remove it and then continue retrieval and when the clip that's attached at the ball surfaces it will automaticaly stop. Just use the commercial clips that come with the Scotty release clips they don't generally slip up and down the line if attached tightly. You can also purchase adjustable stoppers that will prevent slippage that will go through your wheel after you remove your top release clip. eman

I've owned Cannons for 5 years and here's a tip, I am really good with these and have found letting the ball down with the motor the best. If you try and freewheel them down it can be a hell of a mess.:(

I've owned Cannons for 5 years...here's a tip....letting the ball down with the motor the best.
Very much agree-I've used the Cannons on devers' boat-power down is a cool way to run the gear and a person becomes accustomed to it quite quickly.

Back