SSE Coho clipping - May 16-17 - volunteers needed

Deewar25

Seems the critters are growing much faster this year as I believe this is a month early, and yep, I know, not good timing with long weekend and all (I'm camping) - I expect many can't make it, but if you can, please PM me or post here c/w numbers coming with you. I will post more specifics later.

For those not familiar, its usually like 9am to 2pm or so at the Jack Brooks Hatchery off Otter Point Road in Sooke - they supply great burgers and hotdogs. The more you clip, the more you can keep later!

Super good cause to support with a small amount of volunteer time!

If people want to keep more coho, and reduce the unfortunate mortalities of sorting through wild ones to get your limit of hatchery coho, then please consider coming out for a few hours to volunteer.

Good people, good cause and good free BBQ'ed burgers and hot dogs for all who show up. I plan to be there again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I are in again;PM me days/times...:)

Four for Sunday, will try to get more. I look forward to it every year!..............Xena

2 more here. My son and I can come Sunday.

Currently we are 4 for Saturday, 6 for Sunday so at this point, either day works Sammy/WITW. I'll check with Robert as to time at the gate this week, but here is the location info from last years thread!

as shown here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjis21/3536883541/

just turn up Young Lake Road off of Otter Point Road (turn right at the traffic lights/gas station right in Sooke and run up there until you hit Young Lake... - its right where street view ends on the 'private road' on the following map
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Young+...Z+0J6&t=h&z=17

(for any newbees - just dress according to weather - its outside, but pretty shaded - you will get wet on one side of the table (as water runs off it), so wear footwear accordingly. No experience necessary - pretty straight forward.

I'd very much like to help, however my eyesight is no longer 20/20. How small are the fins that have to be clipped?
Thanks
Stosh

I'd very much like to help, however my eyesight is no longer 20/20. How small are the fins that have to be clipped?
Thanks
Stosh
hmm...thats an interesting question - the fry are only like 3" long and the fin at that stage...maybe 1/2 cm high!? Could be a little tricky as they can be pretty squirmy as well depending on how well a batch is knocked out. You can certainly pick them up close to you if thats what it takes though!

I've clipped close to 20,000 coho over the past couple of years with less than 20/20 vision - but I have bi-focals. If you can read a newspaper, you should be able to clip fish.

Ok, I'll give it a try on Saturday. I'll be there for sure and will try to bring one of my teenage grandkids (if that's ok).
Stosh
Confirmed - 2 of us will be there on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've clipped close to 20,000 coho over the past couple of years with less than 20/20 vision - but I have bi-focals. If you can read a newspaper, you should be able to clip fish.

Just wait until Mr. Arthur-Itis pays you a visit..... Afraid the cold water is a killer then !!!! (sniff)

Just wait until Mr. Arthur-Itis pays you a visit..... Afraid the cold water is a killer then !!!! (sniff) But kids are GREAT clippers (as long as you ask them to leave the smart phones in the car ! )

hey guys - so starting time is 9am both days (finish around 1) - the gate will be open from 8:30 to 9am. Thanks all that have offered to help - short notice and long weekend even! WITW and sammy...less people on Sunday if you need to choose a day - I have 11 for Sat, 7 for Sun, and you guys.
Any problems finding the place, the number is 250-642-0031.

Last check in - hatchery telephone is apparently down and out - if you are lost or need to contact them at all, call Robert at 250-882-6525.
Thanks again to everyone willing to help out on short notice and a long weekend! Much appreciated. Happy clipping!

Back