SRKW and their prey, be very concerned!

Population growth is limited by nutritional impacts on pregnancy success in endangered Southern Resident killer whales (Orcinus orca)
  • Samuel K. Wasser ,
  • Jessica I. Lundin,
  • Katherine Ayres,
  • Elizabeth Seely,
  • Deborah Giles,
  • Kenneth Balcomb,
  • Jennifer Hempelmann,
  • Kim Parsons,
  • Rebecca Booth
logo.plos.95.png

This would most likely include them as well.. but its still all being discussed. With more discussion coming

This would most likely include them as well.. but its still all being discussed. With more discussion coming

Not sure it would, eco tours are well endorsed by NGO’s and vice virsa. After all they bring well needed education and awareness to the public.

The loss of electronics in all fishing commercial, recreation may not be a bad thing. My dad worked for DFO for 35 years in C&P and his biologist coworker who is retired now blames electronics for decimating all fish stocks back in the day. Sonar was a game changer. Now it’s warmer water(blob), loss of habitat and fishing pressure hurting all salmon stocks.

For now I’m not sure how much DFO can do for fishing decisions that have to do with the pacific salmon treaty. Tho I think it is up for negotiation soon and that could be troubling.

I am also not convinced that stopping fishing would be the answer.also I’m not sure if whales are a conservation concern that could stop the Supreme Court ruling allowing the natives their right to fish.

Tho this does seem very troubling for the rec and the commercial fishing sector.

Doesn't matter what The NGO endorse in this matter...its what the science is saying ..so I would say you will see some regulation changes effecting the eco tours & some area will be no Vessel traffic period.... I would agree and the science is saying that no fishing would not necessary put more food in there mouths.. we do need to get more food out there for them to acquire...

Doesn't matter what The NGO endorse in this matter...its what the science is saying ..so I would say you will see some regulation changes effecting the eco tours & some area will be no Vessel traffic period.... I would agree and the science is saying that no fishing would not necessary put more food in there mouths.. we do need to get more food out there for them to acquire...

Over the last 20 years ocean survival rate has gone from 10% to less then 2%. Hatchery Enhancement has become very inefficient. There is no point in sending smolts out their if they are just going to die. Sure in the sport industry we would love nothing more then to see more hatchery, net pen enhancement but the return rates speak for themselves. Also it’s not just hatchery we need to impve vital habitat that’s been lost.

Now apparently from what I’ve read once salmon are two year or older they are less influence by warmer water temps and have less preditors.

I know this would bring great controversy but raising chinook to the age of 2 or 3 in pens would probably be the best. It would be costly and be under fire from salmon farm critics.

The warmer water of 2013-2016 brought in preditors and ocean conditions that were not very hospitable to salmon smolts. All salmon stocks have done poorly and so have the KW that feed on them.

That being said they apparently don’t expect our southern waters off the ECVI to get that war again for a very long time so perhaps if ocean survival rates improve hatchery enhancement would work.

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/stories/2017/09062017_lean_times_salmon.html

In regards to the whale watching boats, i live in Jordan River, ocean front, and i see those dickheads chasing the whale down day after day in the summer. No chance they are staying away in regards to the regs. It is pathetic, getting in between mom and calf right on top of them, pisses me off to no end.

Over the last 20 years ocean survival rate has gone from 10% to less then 2%. Hatchery Enhancement has become very inefficient. There is no point in sending smolts out their if they are just going to die. Sure in the sport industry we would love nothing more then to see more hatchery, net pen enhancement but the return rates speak for themselves. Also it’s not just hatchery we need to impve vital habitat that’s been lost.

Now apparently from what I’ve read once salmon are two year or older they are less influence by warmer water temps and have less preditors.

I know this would bring great controversy but raising chinook to the age of 2 or 3 in pens would probably be the best. It would be costly and be under fire from salmon farm critics.

The warmer water of 2013-2016 brought in preditors and ocean conditions that were not very hospitable to salmon smolts. All salmon stocks have done poorly and so have the KW that feed on them.

That being said they apparently don’t expect our southern waters off the ECVI to get that war again for a very long time so perhaps if ocean survival rates improve hatchery enhancement would work.

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/stories/2017/09062017_lean_times_salmon.html

U have some good points...with the wild salmon policy starting to come in play u would not see mist of what u stated ..that being said there is a need for something to happen... Perhaps a combination pen rearing of fish to start... habitat work,clean up the small streams again... Once upon a time I seem to remember a SEP program with area coordinators that was fairly successful

Not sure it would, eco tours are well endorsed by NGO’s and vice virsa. After all they bring well needed education and awareness to the public.

The loss of electronics in all fishing commercial, recreation may not be a bad thing. My dad worked for DFO for 35 years in C&P and his biologist coworker who is retired now blames electronics for decimating all fish stocks back in the day. Sonar was a game changer. Now it’s warmer water(blob), loss of habitat and fishing pressure hurting all salmon stocks.

For now I’m not sure how much DFO can do for fishing decisions that have to do with the pacific salmon treaty. Tho I think it is up for negotiation soon and that could be troubling.

I am also not convinced that stopping fishing would be the answer.also I’m not sure if whales are a conservation concern that could stop the Supreme Court ruling allowing the natives their right to fish.

Tho this does seem very troubling for the rec and the commercial fishing sector.

So we back a group that is basically try to close down rec fishers now to shut down whale watching. First of all take a look at the NGO guys many of them represent whale watchers. Also are you reading some of the garbage all these groups are spreading on the whales? Look at board of directors and interests. I wouldn't trust any of them right now with fishing interests. They represent dream world no hatcheries no fishing etc. The world will repair itself to the wild fish of 1800's theory. Etc.Etc.

So we back a group that is basically try to close down rec fishers now to shut down whale watching. First of all take a look at the NGO guys many of them represent whale watchers. Also are you reading some of the garbage all these groups are spreading on the whales? Look at board of directors and interests. I wouldn't trust any of them right now with fishing interests. They represent dream world no hatcheries no fishing etc. The world will repair itself to the wild fish of 1800's theory. Etc.Etc.

I never said that at all, all I stated is the argument NGO’s use with respect to eco tours. Anyone that is out there a lot know how many whale watching boats are out there. There a new trail coming out of Vancouver heading towards Victoria every 4 hours. They sit right on top of the whale all day, they run infrount of the pods while they move. Shut off their motors and wait for the pod to go threw them. The industry has exploded and should be well looked at. I’d look at the boats encircling them all day.

However what I have stated about hatchery is correct. Return rates have plummeted and ocean survival rates have gone from 10% to less then 2%. We have lots hatcheryd if survival rates went back to 10% we would see hatchery returns increase 10 fold.

Habitat restoration, building fishways, removing slides, removing log jams, monitoring small stream returns, building spawing habitat should be at the for frount.

I don’t no how many of you volunteers at hatchery but if you did you would know that some are struggling to get enough brood stock for their egg takes.

I am not advocating for anyone just looking at the science. My self interest are clearly on the side of sports fishmen or I’d be like everyone else and buy my salmon from jimmy p.

We as sports fishermen’s need to unite and protect our histoic sports fishery. Attended meetings, get involved, work together. We need a strong voice. Are there any lobbies for us that we can donate money too?

I never said that at all, all I stated is the argument NGO’s use with respect to eco tours. Anyone that is out there a lot know how many whale watching boats are out there. There a new trail coming out of Vancouver heading towards Victoria every 4 hours. They sit right on top of the whale all day, they run infrount of the pods while they move. Shut off their motors and wait for the pod to go threw them. The industry has exploded and should be well looked at. I’d look at the boats encircling them all day.

However what I have stated about hatchery is correct. Return rates have plummeted and ocean survival rates have gone from 10% to less then 2%. We have lots hatcheryd if survival rates went back to 10% we would see hatchery returns increase 10 fold.

Habitat restoration, building fishways, removing slides, removing log jams, monitoring small stream returns, building spawing habitat should be at the for frount.

I don’t no how many of you volunteers at hatchery but if you did you would know that some are struggling to get enough brood stock for their egg takes.

I am not advocating for anyone just looking at the science. My self interest are clearly on the side of sports fishmen or I’d be like everyone else and buy my salmon from jimmy p.

We as sports fishermen’s need to unite and protect our histoic sports fishery. Attended meetings, get involved, work together. We need a strong voice. Are there any lobbies for us that we can donate money too?

A lot of us volunteer and also raise a lot of money to support those projects. And no one said all those things are important, but I still don't agree with the hatchery theory. Its pipe dream to think wild fish are coming back. It just wont happen, and we crossed that road years ago. As I said and will say over and over again I am not buying it. All it is theories scientific studies, and nothing concrete. I don't know about you but how have those scientific studies on the Fraser salmon done? I see the same graph decline year after a year in DFO meeting. No change. The NGO want us out so they can pat themselves on back when fishing is closed. But personally as group we should not be underestimating what the NGO are trying to do. That is my point. If we wanted a real lobby than the commercial, first nation, and rec sector need to join and stop fighting each other.

Be careful who you side with.

. All it is theories scientific studies, and nothing concrete. If we wanted a real lobby than the commercial, first nation, and rec sector need to join and stop fighting each other.

There is lots of science on the issues around hatcheries, just because you either don't read it or don't agree with it doesn't mean its not valid.

As for a united lobby of commercial, FN and sportfishers, that is a real pipe dream. . The FN position is that it is their resource, it was taken away from them and they are entitled to all of it. They have wins in the courts that give them precedence for ceremonial/food use. They are also being given commercial opportunities. What incentive do they have to band together with the other groups? Commercial interests (which include processors) have their own interests which are predicated on volume. The only group with an interest in banding together would be the Sporties, but with only one goal in mind to get more of the share since its currently very small. So even that desire is self interest and at direct odds with the other two groups.

Overfishing by the Commercial sector combined with the onslaught of open cage Fish Farms spreading thier disease and Sea Lice onto Wild migrating smolts is the major cause of this mess. It stares you right in the face but the politicians don't have the Kahunas to deal with it. For the last 30 years we have allowed the Fish Farmers onto the Ocean in the migration corridors and for 30 years we keep seeing our Wild Salmon returns decline could it possibly be that the two are linked? I refuse to think we need to give up on Wild Salm0n. Like others have said in river systems like the Capilano which is dammed and others in a similar circumstance that could otherwise not support a natural run anymore use hatcheries to augment the Wild Salmon but not to replace them. Until we get rid of whats killing them in the first place open cage fish farms the SRKW and us sportfishers will be going the way of the Dodo bird.

There is lots of science on the issues around hatcheries, just because you either don't read it or don't agree with it doesn't mean its not valid.

As for a united lobby of commercial, FN and sportfishers, that is a real pipe dream. . The FN position is that it is their resource, it was taken away from them and they are entitled to all of it. They have wins in the courts that give them precedence for ceremonial/food use. They are also being given commercial opportunities. What incentive do they have to band together with the other groups? Commercial interests (which include processors) have their own interests which are predicated on volume. The only group with an interest in banding together would be the Sporties, but with only one goal in mind to get more of the share since its currently very small. So even that desire is self interest and at direct odds with the other two groups.

That is right I dont agree with your opinion. I think reducing hatchery production is a stupid idea especially now. If we do than hang up your fishing rods. That doesn't mean we should abandon stream and habitat enhancement. You need both. Its Ok to disagree, and you are entitled to your opinion. We all know especially on south island what role hatcheries play in our fishery. Sooke and Victoria woudl have no fishery without the US hatcheries and that is a fact. But hey they don't work.

That is right I dont agree with your opinion. I think reducing hatchery production is a stupid idea especially now. If we do than hang up your fishing rods. That doesn't mean we should abandon stream and habitat enhancement. You need both. Its Ok to disagree, and you are entitled to your opinion. We all know especially on south island what role hatcheries play in our fishery. Sooke and Victoria woudl have no fishery without the US hatcheries and that is a fact. But hey they don't work.
https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2016/12/doubling-down-on-the-broken-promise-of-fish-hatcheries/

Steelheads Spawning in the Elwha River Tributary

A pair of Seattle fish biologists who have been tagging and relocating hatchery steelheads to Little River tributary of the Elwha, where the water is clear, discovered wild steelheads that they had not relocated themselves. This means that along with aiding the spawn of hatchery and wild steelheads in the Little River, their relocation project also attracted new fish to the colony. While many of the relocated fish returned to their hatchery home by instinct, the fact that new steelheads came to colonize the new area is evidence that they might have some sort of sensory indicator which lead them past the dam and to the clear water. Although the fish are adapting well, other wildlife such as herons and ducks are dying off because the cloudy water caused by the dam removal hampers their ability to find food.

Back