squid in Barkley Sound

Olde School

Catching squid locally has been on my bucket list for many years.

We will be in Barkley Sound a lot this summer, as usual, and I am looking for info on how to catch these.
I have read to use a squid jig under the bright lights of gov't docks at night.
I am thinking of taking a large 12V spotlight in the area of Imperial Eagle Channel and try to bring some in.

If you have first hand knowledge of how to catch calamari size squid in the area above, will you reply please?

Thank you!

Hello Smiley
Many years ago I was anchored in Mayne Bay and noticed a large school of opal squid under a fairly bright light over the stern. We had no nets or jigs, but my wife managed to catch them with a kitchen sieve tied on the end of a pole- they were thick. I imagine that a fine mesh dipnet would work if they a abundant. I later watched a guy try to seine them and was impressed with how net shy they were.
I was told later that they are very cyclical (11 years he told me). Maybe this warm water we are experiencing will make them more abundant. I hope so, I remember the calamari we made from the fresh Mayne Bay squid as the best.
I would try any of the bays around the back end of the sound under your light. I have heard that jigs with some silver bling work well.
Good luck

hey smiley
I fish them on the sunshine coast already have caught a few this summer. I usually use a squid jig but also have had really good success with a small buzz bomb. They are farely aggressive squid. hope you have great time catching some.

Back