Spring salmon

scott craven

Cooked a filet last night same as always, wrapped in foil and 15 mins on the BBQ. It was sort of chewy in texture yet was not overcooked.
I've had them before, in fact, I could tell by the flesh before it was cooked that it was gonna be a tough one.[V]
Anybody notice how some Spring salmon have a tougher texture to the meat than other's ?

Remove the blue/green squirt first Scott and the meat won't be so chewy [:p]

I do find that once in a while I get a rubbery one. Generally, it's due to my inattention while cooking -- I find that internal temperature is imperative to getting a moist filet. My rule is to cook until the internal temp is 135F, remove from BBQ and then let stand for 5 minutes (fish continues to cook).

TenMile
<'((((><

I have heard that it may be due to lactic acid build up during a long fight.. I have found that some of the whites up north get chewy due to the pigheaded fights the 40's put up, basically poisoning themselves I guess.. Who Knows-dirty;)

I cooked up a tail section a couple years ago that had been caught in Alberni the day before...cooked to perfection as always :D...so chewy you literally could not bite through it (almost like cartilage). Only the last 8" at the tail were effected.

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

I cooked up a tail section a couple years ago that had been caught in Alberni the day before...cooked to perfection as always :D...so chewy you literally could not bite through it (almost like cartilage). Only the last 8" at the tail were effected.

Seems like one of those unfortunate instances of a bad piece of tail.:D

But seriously, I was reading a document regarding commercial Salmon handling techniques and found a possible explanation for tough meat. From article below:

"Note: If you are freezing the salmon onboard, they should be frozen pre-rigor or post-rigor, but never during rigor which distorts the frozen fish, increases gaping, and results in a dry, tough, cooked product (Doyle 1995)."

It is a good article regarding Salmon cleaning and tips for preservation, for best quality meat. Full article can be read at the following link.:

http://www.calkingsalmon.org/pdf/procedures.pdf

Back