Spring Chironomid Fishing - Slow on the trigger

FishDoc

It has been a long COVID-19 season of Social Distancing and Isolation. So when Rodney Hsu invited me to drive up to the Interior of BC this spring and join him on the water for some stillwater Fly Fishing I was super excited! To tell you the truth I'm a beginner in the realm of fly fishing, but always love trying new things. I have never fished much on the interior stillwaters in the open water season, so I didn't know what to expect. It was a stunningly beautiful spring day and when I pulled up to the lake Rod and his buddy could be seen on the water pulling in fish. So I loaded up the canoe and headed over to them to join in on the action. Before the camera was even on I tossed a jig and hooked three small ones. Then the action slowed and the fish went straight to a chironomid diet. Once I had some chironomids in the right depth range with the help of the Deeper Chirp+ I started getting a bunch of slight bobber downs. Most I was too slow to even set the hook. I got the hang of it thought and started catching a few. With the Deeper Chirp+ I could cast it out and see what depth line to place my floats for the highest traffic. Then I would watch to see where the majority of the fish were swimming on the sounder and place my fly at that depth. It worked perfectly, some say it is cheating. I say it beats a skunk. There much have been 10 boats on the lake and most of the guys were having a very slow day besides the three of us. Shows that it pays to go with someone who knows what they are doing and make sure you have sonar to help you locate the fish.

Back