Spreader bar alternatives?

Yes......but this works wayyyyu better and its much easier to stow.

You can also buy pre-made 3 ways from pnt which as wicked. We are talking like 2$ worth of swivels here.

Yes......but this works wayyyyu better and its much easier to stow.

You can also buy pre-made 3 ways from pnt which as wicked. We are talking like 2$ worth of swivels here.
Mine does the same thing with a knot.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, that sounds interesting. . .got a pick or explanation of how you elastisize your weight to your top shot? Sounds interesting, I'm always scheming to make something better.

FWIW I can't imagine using a spreader for lings in sub 100 fow. I have always just used a 6 oz mooching sinker hard-tied in line, and fished live bait on a 3-4 ft leader of 40 lb. This works fine down to 120 fow or so. I don't have tangle issues but I could see vertically dropping a cut plug could be a mess. Less experienced anglers have snag problems as their bottom awareness isn't that great, but good ones excel with this setup. I don't like the slider because I need to know exactly how far my meat is from my weight all the time.

fb

this video shows how I attatch via rubber bands very simple . I know he says you loose your weight most times during the fight but if you use heavy bands this is not the case

Ok........A few thousand haibut have proven this setup incredibly effective. I've tried em all, if there was a better way I would run it. Derby knows what I am talking about. Also try tying your knot in 200# or 300# that would be fun. I would crimp up 2 of these at the beginning of the season then a few year over the season. West side of the gwaii abused and tested.

Something more visual to explain. It woks soo well. Sorry for the crap drawing just drew this up real quick.
Thanks for your Drawing. I've always used a spreader bar with 3-4ft of breakaway 30lb on the weight so I can tap the bottom and leave the 18"-24" leader with bait slightly off the bottom. With your set-up when you clip you ball without a breakaway line, is your bait normally right on the bottom or just off the bottom? Not questioning the effectiveness of your set-up just wondering how to fish it as I will be giving it a try.

Thanks

Typical if anchored we drop to the bottom then bring the whole works up 2 cranks. So 3-4'. I've always had the opinion that you wanted your bait moonlighting the bottom. Usually drop to bottom and reset the 2 cranks every 30 min or so. Seems to work well. Rarely does the circle hook snag bottom.

If drifting same approach but you need to check bottom more frequently. Say every minute or 2 take a bounce then 1-2 cranks to make sure you are moonlighting that bait.

There was a couple of 5 gallon pails of speader bars where I worked.....not one guide used them.....good for coat hanging is what we said.

Back