Sports guides allowed to buy commercial halibut quota.

Interesting article and a bit surprising at the commercial view (wonder if the quoted spokesperson has quota). Still a few sport guides in BC buying quota.

Personally i don't think anyone should be allowed to permanently own quota. I understand an argument can be made for the stability it provides commercial entities, re investing, but I don't like the principle of anyone owning a public resource in perpetuity. I would like to see ownership abolished and a system of 5 or 10 year leases be instituted instead?

As an angler from the interior, I feel like I'm shorted every year. No way will i ever catch my 6 fish in a year. So size does matter to me. I'm against quota in general but if it would allow me to keep that one big fish i'd buy in. If the general public could that is.

Really? I thought guides only? For their clients of course but still had to be purchased by a guide or "lodge" for the customer.

For the record the word douschbag is defined as " a person or persons who leases commercial quota so as they can fish outside of the regulations designed to not only protect the resource but also protect our ability to access that resource "

It would be my hope that anyone considering taking part in DFO's so called experimental leasing
would first educate themselves on the ramifications of supporting this ridiculous program.

If after doing so that person feels that their individual short term perceived needs and greed are more important than standing with the majority to protect Recreational fishing, please see above definition .

Last edited:
YOU can Clint.....

Nope. Just spoke with my guy at the tackle store. Can't just stroll in off the street and say "I feel like targeting large halis today, can I buy some quota please."

This is where it starts to get weird for me. One set of rules for this group, a different set for that group. Some say cuz we'd catch our quota too soon. Others say because we need to release the brood females. Can't help but feel we as a group are being spoon fed a bunch of BS.

All I know for sure is that I fish for food and my freezers getting harder to fill each year.

Last edited:
As an angler from the interior, I feel like I'm shorted every year. No way will i ever catch my 6 fish in a year. So size does matter to me. I'm against quota in general but if it would allow me to keep that one big fish i'd buy in. If the general public could that is.
Aparently we can make submissions as a stakeholder to the http://iphc.int/meetings/2016im/IPHC-2016-IM092-13a-Regulatory_Proposals.pdf Here is an example of one http://iphc.int/meetings/2016im/IPHC-2016-IM092-13d-5-Ewing.pdf which would probably align with what your talking about in terms of never catching your 6 fish in a year.

Thanks for the info Terrin. See what I mean by weird? Not sure if this is an actual example or fictitious but nice to see that the fingers being pointed at the Rec sector.

All I know for sure is that I fish for food and my freezers getting harder to fill each year.

May I remind you that this is a Sportfishing Forum. If you need the fish so badly for food you may want to redefine yourself as a food fisher and join the natives or commercials. Sportfishing is a hobby and not a mean to supply your basic food.

Haha. Nice try bud. I'm a Canadian resident born in BC. I follow all rules and regs and buy my license every year. try that comment with a hunter and see what happens. Or better yet, go fishing with no lure/hook. Same experience isn't it? Or wait no it's not because why? Explain please. Why is it wrong to eat what I catch?

May I remind you that this is a Sportfishing Forum. If you need the fish so badly for food you may want to redefine yourself as a food fisher and join the natives or commercials. Sportfishing is a hobby and not a mean to supply your basic food.
Had a great hali year for numbers, limited out between my son and me for a total of 12. We released a bunch too that were small and lightly hooked in hope for something bigger. But all were only between 15 and 25#. And it was not too much meat as there is not much left in the freezer.
Clint lives in the Interior and can't make it out to the Island six times a year but looks like you do okay.

where can i sign up to buy tac that was given away in the first place?

i call bs.

born and raised here on the coast. my family now and since i was a kid HAVE relied on limits in line with feeding my family.

So we go down the road of buying halibut quota...open your wallets because DFO would love to make it mandatory that you buy salmon quota, crab quota, shrimp on so on. And then guess what...a recent court case proves you don't really own it as the fisheries minister has the right to take it away at their discretion. I think the definition of sport fishing would be a bit more accurate if it stated that 50% was the enjoyment of the experience and 50% was expecting to bring home enough fish to make the effort worthwhile. If one of the two is missing the overall experience suffers and interest will drop off.

Back