Space heater for engine compartment

dmurph

I’m curious what people are doing who run space heaters in your engine compartment. I have one in mine that I’ve used and plugged in using an extension cord. Everything thing I read say not to use a extension cord to plug in space heaters but it’s impossible to plug directly to an outlet from inside a engine compartment. Currently I run a cord from my shop into the boat. I put the heater on a setting that just kicks in to keep the space above zero, so it’s not consuming 1500 watts

You should be fine with a heavy duty thick gauge extension cord, short as possible. I think they write those rules so that people don't use those cheap crappy extension cords with power bars.

I have a plug in my engine compartment.
Me too. :)
I have a Caframo 90 watt that runs all the time and then a ceramic heater set on very low if it gets too cold. My boat is in the water though which helps.
We are diesel as well so no gas fumes to worry about

pali engine room heater, only comes on when needed

That’s the one I use as well. It’s also ignition protected which means NO GO BOOM if fumes are present. It says the heating element can’t overheat. Good for 80 cubic feet and down to -20 C.

Oly

If your boat is insured, it’s a good idea to read your policy or ask your broker for clarification.
I had a gas inboard in my previous boat & even a heater in the cabin had to be a “permanent installation”. No extension cord permitted.

Not exactly the same but water bay in my motorhome I threw in a 200 watt ceramic heater.. Ducks were walking on the pond behind is today.

Back