South Island Lakes 2020

View attachment 51630 Quamichan lake on the weekend
What a beautiful fish! I use the same carpet in my boat and I am envious of the smokes having quit in my 71st year my boat is already to took a week to take all the stuff that found it’s way into it. We have a bridge game using trickster app this morning but right after I am heading to Elk lake I am glad to see such a nice fish from Quamichan

Fished Bangford Lake today. Clearly nearby blasting, drilling and crushing crews are not shut down. I did quite well wind drifting flies on a sinking line. Lost one about 4lbs beside the boat. Had about another dozen or so to the boat plus several hits. Three double headers which became a real mess in the wind. Most fish were in the 14-16" range. The biggest I measured was 19". Caught none of the recent released "catchables". I know the cormorants slayed many of them. Some boats hanging around in the deep end, I didn't bother going down there.

Swallows were swooping over the lake. Hatch time! Water was 47 degrees. I'm taking the bobber rod next time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_110451541.jpg
    IMG_20200401_110451541.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 64
Fished Bangford Lake today. Clearly nearby blasting, drilling and crushing crews are not shut down. I did quite well wind drifting flies on a sinking line. Lost one about 4lbs beside the boat. Had about another dozen or so to the boat plus several hits. Three double headers which became a real mess in the wind. Most fish were in the 14-16" range. The biggest I measured was 19". Caught none of the recent released "catchables". I know the cormorants slayed many of them. Some boats hanging around in the deep end, I didn't bother going down there.

Swallows were swooping over the lake. Hatch time! Water was 47 degrees. I'm taking the bobber rod next time.
Hi I am wondering how you cook your trout so they don't taste muddy thanks Art

Even though the midges weren’t coming off on Elk the depth sounder showed all the fish on the bottom next time out I will try blood worms

I've only had one that was 'muddy'. Caught when the water was too warm (70+) and I should have known as the fish felt soft, not much fight to it either. We always stopped keeping trout from lakes in the summer when I was a kid.

I don't keep any because I don't care for them for the same reason. however there was a fellow filleting one at the ramp and the meat was much redder than the pale ones I've tried. Maybe I'll give one a tap next tomorrow.

Finally managed to get out after a couple of weeks of wind and crappy weather, at least when I had the time to hit the water. Must say, it was a nice break from whatever that thing is that is giving us all cabin fever! ;) Wasn't hot and heavy, but did manage a half dozen to the boat over the course of the afternoon and nice to see a bit of sunshine too!

A51.jpg

A5.jpg

The last few days were crazy hot locally. You could do no wrong. Chroni fishing or trolling with a gang troll. I landed over a dozen, I'm sure some boats did better. Went out today and it was like someone through a switch. Swallows were gone, only a few rises. I only got three trolling.

Got out Tuesday with my oldest boy and managed to get into a few. The biggest one he got came on the old reliable Pumpkinhead but the bulk of our fish that day seemed to like the yellow and red Booby. Noticed the Chironomid guys are doing really well in the mornings now that we have some heat early in the day.

JordA7.jpg

Booby.jpg

@Stizzla , let me check my stuff. Still kinda in storage from moving last year. I have a pontoon boat with oars and a rear deck for your cooler somewhere in storage. You’re welcome to it. It will get you out there and fishing the freshwater lakes. All you need is a set of waders or man up to the cold water. LOL. I think the name is Still waters but will have to check. Let me know.

Oly
Oh you don’t have to do that! You’re a saint

Stizzla got lunch from Elk yesterday but it was slow in the afternoon. The launch is getting pretty busy so I am going to take a break for a while but when this is all over I look forward to fishing together

Fished Fuller. First time there. 52 degrees. Only got three fish between 12-14". Had my big sounder. Showed most bigger fish right around 20' down. Tried chronies for a while but only got two light touches. Fish I caught where on a stripped green fly.

Fished Langford for a couple hours on Sunday evening. Action was steady with a few decent ones landed. Typical fish story...I lost the best one right by the boat so no pic of him! Been lots of boats on the lake the last couple weeks and the more seasonal weather this past week seems to have stabilized the water temp in the high 50's.

A26.jpg

A261.jpg

A262.jpg

Went out to elk a few days ago, fished from 730 until dark. Was using a floating line with 8 foot leader and a black with red sparkle, gold bead headed micro leach. I was out front of hamsterly beach and got 4 nice rainbow and one about 12 inches. I'd post some pics, but apparently they're to big... was also out at prospect on sunday and had pretty good luck for bass with the exact same setup, fishing in tight obviously

Attachments

• Resized_20200505_200355.jpeg
    Resized_20200505_200355.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Resized_20200505_200353_capture(0).jpeg
    Resized_20200505_200353_capture(0).jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 48
Yesterday with the heat, I saw a few carpenter ants flying. With the predicted heat today, it might be a good day to hit your favourite lake.

Anybody who’s found themselves fishing on a hot day in May when the ant hatch occurs knows what I’m talking about. The fishing can be insanely great, I’ve been lucky to be in the right place at the right time on a few occasions and it’s really something.

Fished Beaver Lake yesterday from shore with a friend. Started slow but ended up with 2 decent smallies each by 1:30pm. He got his on a floating crawfish lure and I got mine on a small rainbow pattern spoon tipped with a plastic tail. All 4 bass were in real shallow water.

Getting warm. When I start seeing turtles and sun fish I start putting my stillwater gear away. I'll still play with the local bass a bit.

Back