SOUTH ARM and the BOAT BUILDER

high tide

Today was a great day to be on the water with a long time friend.

The Boat Builder has built and I'm talking hand crafted a number of boats from canoes and dingys to East Coast Dory's. the Boat Builder is a kind, and quiet man who has mastered the skill of boat building as a hobby over several years. His talent and craftsmanship is second to none, his strive for perfection his desire. He's been a proud husband, father, grandfather and I may be mistaken but I think he's even a great grandfather. Over 8 years ago, Boat Builder started his most recent accomplishment. Sadly, along the way, the boat builder lost his wife a few years ago suddenly, the love of his life, also he was diagnosed with Leukemia himself changing his life forever. Boat Builder continues to battle with the daily challenges he faces yet pushes on and leads by example to all that know him. His love of fishing, hunting and the outdoors forever beckons this guy to build the Perfect Set Up.

Well today, he called on me, a long time friend of almost 40 years, to join him and his First Time Fishing with his most recent handy work. Gladly and honored I accepted. He had 4 hours on the boat on sea trials and was ready to get some blood in da boat.

We headed out of the South Arm towards the Coal ports. Marking fish in the 100 to 200 foot range, we changed offerings a few times with no success. A few hours went by as we admired his wonderful boat, a Wooden East Coast Dory, 21 feet Long. We recalled a number of old times together hunting and fishing. In that time a lot of first's happened, my first Moose, my first Buck, first time hunting White Tail, Mooching Active and Porlier, Thrasher ..... too many to list. Great memories with good times, the good ol days. Again, I switched up once more, to a 4/0 Coyote in Wonderbread at 115 feet and bingo ! it was on ! Boat Builder was into his first fish of his most recent handy-work, the Meri C. Named after his wife. After taking to the air a few times and acting like a Big Northern Coho, Boat Builder was rewarded with a Dandy 20 pound Marbled Spring. What an accomplishment Boat Builder.

Eight years ...... some highs and some real lows, but Boat Builder has done it again ! Way to go ______ ! Once again, you have proven yourself in so many ways, what an example to lead by. You should hold your head high !

From Me, and my entire family, Dad, my Bro, lots of us are real proud of ya !

Thanks for all you have done for me over the years Boat Builder !

What a terrific day on the water !

HT

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the posting HT.

Its for these little gems I still check in here regularly.

Dying to see a picture if the boat. Great story congrats.

DMurph ......... I have some great pic's Of said friend and his Art Work Boat he has built, but I didn't ask If I could post Pic's of it and him. We will see, its a real Beauty of a boat and very unique to this area. He's local and no doubt you will see this craft and Master Builder out and about off the Fraser Mouth, Thrasher, Porlier in the future. It's quite some thing to see and hear just how he's built this little Gem !

HT

@high tide Apologies for not getting this re-opened sooner...the solution was so simple in that it was locked due to being in an archived thread. Sometimes the most obvious things are the last ones we try.

It is with great sadness that today, we are moved with the passing of Bill, the Boat Builder. It would have been the Boat Builders 80th birthday today. Bill can rest in peace now after a long courageous battle with cancer .

Bill was a long time family friend that we had the privelage to hunt and fish with for many many years. He will be truly missed but always remembered. A real Sportsman and advocate for fish and wildlife for the future. Long time BCWF member and supporter.

Bill was oringinally from Ontario, moved his young family to the lower mainland of BC in the early seventies and was instantly drawn to the provinces abundance of fish and game activities. Quickly, Bill became a hard core Salt Chucker, great times to be had locally at Active and Porlier passes, West coast Van Isle fisheries, became a Steel header ( loved those crazy Thompson fish ), he hunted big game in several places around BC and Ontario, including numberous moose, deer and bear hunts. A great outdoorsman.

Bill was present when I harvested my first Moose, and Mulie buck, also introduced me to the elusive White Tail . All great shares, my Dad , my Bro and a number of other friends enjoyed Bills company on what many became terrific trips. We will cherrish these memories forever.

Bill, built his Beautiful East Coast Dorey, named the Meri-C after his lovely bride of many years hand built by himself and moored on a branch off the south arm of the Fraser River. Bill loved those late season South arm Fraser Fish, them big late Springs and Coho off the Fraser mouth. When we got onto the sockeye many years ago he was moved with the great action to be had so close to home, on a fish that was then called, almost impossible to catch.

Boat Builder loved his family, he spoke if them all the time, wanted nothing but more time with them on the water fishing and hunting afield, from his daughters to grandchildren to great grand children, he was so proud of you all. Bill would have loved to have shared another rod, cut a plug for your line, poked a poon through a nice Halli, or lined you up on a Moose or Buck. He was a terrific, gentle humble man. Loved to share his hunting and fishing skills and stories with many, and would like nothing more then setting up a newby when asked for guidance.

Bill was an incredible craftsman, wow, his several hand made boats over many years were a work of art. From small tinker tender boats to canoes to the now beauty Merri-C a East Coast Style Dorey. It was wonderful to be invited in his company and fish or hunt from one of his many crafts. He built several over the years and was relentless and proud of his handi work, never settling for second best on his finish. It was really magnificent work and his attention to detail was second to none.

We sure loved our times with you Bill, you Boat Builder ! You will never be forgotten, thanks for all the great times we had with you. Thanks for being you Bill. Great times with great friends!

If any one can post a pic for me I have a few I could send to you if you pm me an e mail or text it would be great.
Thanks
HT

Last edited:
Sorry to hear buddy. Sounds like a great guy and one who would have lots of great stories to tell.

RIP Bill.

Thanks Pip, sure was a great guy and yes lots of stories, I particularly loved the Ontario Deer hunt stories as way back when they hunted WT back there with drive and push hunts with dogs and guys on point. Forgot to mention too that Bill loved his waterfowl days years ago back east and most recently his northern Sask fishing trips ........ On a high note nailed Pike, a biggy near 20 pounds, Pickerel, and Perch all on the fly. Something Bill loved !

Rest in peace Bill. Forever a sportsman, husband dad, g pa, great g pa and good friend of many.

HT

Hi Howard
Gene here, Bill Jones son in law. Yes the N Sask trips were great. I still go up there annually with buddies. One of them we call Yukon Lily also had multiple myeloma, same cancer Bill had and he passed away Jan, 2019 at age 58. Bill and Lily really hit it off well and it is so strange they both had the same cancer. The fly rod adventure was something else...I have a photo of us in the canoe with Bill in the bow of the canoe with his fly rod as I gather the pike for release It was an 18 pounder. Bill would want to make sure the record was correct as he caught pickerel, pike and lake trout all in the same day on the fly rod. (the perch are ever elusive...rarely do we catch in the lake we are on). The Meri C is seaworthy and waiting out the winter in Comox. Tyler (Bill's grandson) will be moving to Victoria for his wife's work later in 2020. Then decisions have to be made. He also has a 37 foot sailboat and 2 boats in a young family in an expensive housing town of Victoria will be a financial challenge. If you are evr in the Okanagan look us up. genecreelman at shaw dot ca

Back