Sooke2015

f3.jpgWent out from 12:00 to 6:00 with my son. fish off of possession, picked up a 20 and a 17 lost another around that size and released a coho. Good day, all fish were on anchovie. Only one coho in tight there. The 20 was a short fat fish and white.

Went out from 2-6:30. Tried possession first. Nothing there. Moved to beechy head, lost 3 hos then got a 10 pound spring buzzer beater. All fish were on the side with gold Betsy and matching teaser. Tried various combos on the other side. But the fish weren't having it. Misty, we must have left before the bite at possession point, we didn't see anyone hooking up while there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Rockfish! Without your expert netting, this catch would not have been a success! I am happy you haven't lost your touch!

Hey rockfish, how long a leader are you using for your hoochies this time of year?

Conventional wisdom would say go with longer leaders with flasher shy large Chinook on the way to the rivers but I have found shorter has been working well for us. My hootchie rigs have a large bead and insert in them and a toothpick goes in the bead so that the hook position is adjustable like a bait holder. In addition I use a rather large stainless single hook attached to a swivel (commercial style). All that makes them heavy. To get them to have a good somewhat lively action from the flasher, I use a stiff 50lb mono leader (thinking about going to 60lb) and keep the length short. Currently around 26/27 inches has been working well for us with a midrange boat speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished monday at otter from 9:30 till 1, lots of wild coho and nice size, but couldn't find the hatchery. Couple pinks was all for the day (cubed and pan fried with blackening spice - delicious).

fished 7-2 yesterday, 3 man limit of hatchery coho in no time when we targetted them, all but one on the smaller side, hung around inside for the tide change and had one spring hit at trap shack, 12-15 range but lost it.

Still some springs out there got 4 of them in am (all mid teens)with a fresh batch of pinks that were CHROME..????? wth?????? lots of coho showing up been a GREAT year for fish in sooke one of the best I have seen in a long time.....

what a difference from friday to now with boats hardly anyone out there not that im complaining ....no googans around!!!!!!

Still some springs out there got 4 of them in am (all mid teens)with a fresh batch of pinks that were CHROME..????? wth?????? lots of coho showing up been a GREAT year for fish in sooke one of the best I have seen in a long time.....

what a difference from friday to now with boats hardly anyone out there not that im complaining ....no googans around!!!!!!

There's more of them? I really think this dry hot summer affected things a little. I have been following last few days and it looks like things haven't really slowed down... I' ll be out this week.

Timing and location...;)

Sooke once again is proving that it has the longest spring salmon season on the coast. Today my 4 guests fished a 6 hour trip starting at 6:15 and ended up hitting 15 Chinook and limiting out with their 8 we managed to land. Unfortunately a few of the 7 that got away were larger than a few we ended up keeping. The largest of the 8 went 21 1/2 pounds. Also kept 1 hatch Coho and released a couple wilds. A bit of patchy fog during the morning otherwise the sun was back out and the water was just a ripple...beauty day and only a few boats out there.

A bit late posting but fished Sooke from Otter to Secretary Island for 3 days Sept.4-6 Had over 40 fish to the boat and lost a good dozen. Fishing was fa-nominal for this time of year!! Had a dozen large Chinooks, one 12lb hatchery Coho with another couple dozen wild and hatchery cohos from 4-10lbs and a half dozen pinks. All caught using Coyote UV flashers with mostly anchovy teaserheads in the green uv colour. Also had some good luck with coyote flasher/hoochie combo in green glow with red. All fish were caught in the 50-90fow range. Here is a couple pics of the 20lb+ fish:) Can't wait to get back!!!

Attachments

• 20150904_165447.jpg
    20150904_165447.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 810
  • DSCN1632.jpg
    DSCN1632.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 812
Last edited by a moderator:
Set out through the fog at 7:30am today. No idea where to find chinook in such vast numbers as in Profishers intimidating post from yesterday so stuck to what we know of Bluffs, harbour mouth and Possession area for first couple of hours. Absolutely nothing.

Then moved out into deeper water off Secretary where a few boats seemed to hang out and promptly got a couple of shakers. Finally at 10:45 got a hit on anchovy at 91’ in 380’ of water and boated a 12ib chinook. An hour later got a small hatchery coho as I was lowering a herring to 140’ to try something different. Tide was running really strongly past Secretary by then and could almost not maintain position so turned with the tide and trolled down to Aldridge for last hour. Nothing at all doing that.

Fog all burnt off by 9:30am and turned into an incredible late summer day on the water. Felt like July out there with breeze from SSE. Lots of porpoises and a few sea lions.

It was a lot slower today for me too Roland!! Got one in the first few minutes then lost one later and a few smaller fish. Must be a few shakers around the bait always came up buggered when checking it.

I was out today it was very slow... Was out west from 1230 to 7. Slowed right down from last week when I was out... Saw a few smaller ones get caught but that is it. Let go a few nice wild coho pushing over 10 lbs..

Heading out tommarow at 6 am. I am out of Pedder. Where's going to be my best bet ? Hints anyone ?
I know it's slowed down a bit

Back