Sooke2015

Wont say its gang busters yet but a few around got into 4 today and managed 2 small 12 and 15 out again tomorrow , AND yes have to agree these crabbers are getting a little out of hand...

I feel everyones pain with the crabbers. Twice been hooked up. Ill blame myself for the 1st one, but off the trailer park there was a submerged float 20-30ft down, hard to avoid that one. Tried to recover but alas another weight loss to the sea. Other then that fishing has been good overall on the weekends i get out. Gold betsy and Glo-green coyote has been my lucky setup 50-80ft on the riggers as of late.

A little late report. Was out on Saturday and Sunday. Only a couple pinks for me. Tried different gear and depths. Fished beechy to secretary, and no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this in our teenager spring today....perch/shiner or ? Never thought this was in their diet.

This does look like a Pacific Pomano/Pacific Butterfish. What was the location of capture for the fish that had this in its stomach?

View attachment 18327

Here's one from last summer.

Fishing report: Headed west this weekend and caught two small halibut at about 100ft depth. One of them had a fist sized piece of rubbery flesh with a beak embedded in it, I'm guessing octopus but I don't know how to tell the difference between squid and octopus beaks. Put in a short attempt for salmon but came up empty.

Same question for you Seagirt, where and when did you get this guy in a stomach? Thanks so much

Hey Bugs, that pompano came out of a salmon I caught last summer off Sooke. I can't recall if it was from a coho or a chinook stomach. That's all the detail I can recall.

Hey Bugs, that pompano came out of a salmon I caught last summer off Sooke. I can't recall if it was from a coho or a chinook stomach. That's all the detail I can recall.

Thanks Seagirt and Lawlu, I shared this info with folks looking at the ecological consequences of unusually warm ocean temperature we have been experiencing. Please feel free to PM me with other interesting observations. Good luck out there and keep checking stomachs!

Ignored the BWD forecast and fished 9:30am until 12:30pm. Started at harbour mouth and trolled past Secretary and the Trap down to Beechy and back. Fished mostly the 90-150' depths. All we managed were two pinks on anchovy. Lost a spoon and flasher on one of the pinnacles east of the Trap. Eventually howling westerly got too much as boat would "crab" sideways and by noon we were trolling against the wind and the tide!! June sure has been windy.......

What a BLAST day for a salmon fishing !!! We hit on the water at 4 am to 11 am from the Head to the Trap. We had almost limited out with 5 nice size springs 12, 15, 19, 20 and 29 and 5 pinks. We had two times for double header. 4 release for cohoes and one pink, 3 lost and 3 x hit and miss. We used the bait and spoon beside the original flashers and UV flashers.

The 29 lbs was really good fight and got land for one half hour from the near head to near the island what the longest run!!! ever I seen. . Lot of fisher boats were watching us. When the fish landed, some fisher boats cheers and took pictures of us!

Someone caught a nice 30.4 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great way to spend a day! Congrats on the haul. Fishing must be heating up.

Happy Father's Day to all- Enjoy your day..............Xena

Not so much a fishing report but, this was some what of a note worthy event at otter point Saturday morning.
This tug in tow with a log boom, split the fishing fleet. not the best pic...
tug otter point.jpg

As for fishing all i picked up was a bunch of shakers (coho and pinks). 3 packs of bait worth.

Out all day from otter to Beechy and went through a lot of bait for many tiny little guys. Only bagged one keeper but at least there was something to BBQ!
Nice day on the water regardless.

Well done Discus! Was your story from Sunday as the time would seem, or Saturday? Reason I ask is we passed a boat with three guys on Saturday that were fighting something deep, might have been you if it was on Saturday.

Not too many reports given the number of boats that were out for the derby this weekend! So here's mine. Saturday was a great day, fished 4:30-11, the bite was definitely on from about 5-8. Lots of shakers, but managed two Spring at 10 and 13lbs. Sunday, there was an early bite but only shakers for us, and then it went dead quiet and we didn't see anything other than small ones being released. We left the water at 10:30, perhaps the bite came on after that. We were in the Trap and Beechy area, perhaps the fish on Sunday had moved further East???

Well done Discus! Was your story from Sunday as the time would seem, or Saturday? Reason I ask is we passed a boat with three guys on Saturday that were fighting something deep, might have been you if it was on Saturday.

Not too many reports given the number of boats that were out for the derby this weekend! So here's mine. Saturday was a great day, fished 4:30-11, the bite was definitely on from about 5-8. Lots of shakers, but managed two Spring at 10 and 13lbs. Sunday, there was an early bite but only shakers for us, and then it went dead quiet and we didn't see anything other than small ones being released. We left the water at 10:30, perhaps the bite came on after that. We were in the Trap and Beechy area, perhaps the fish on Sunday had moved further East???

Yes It was Saturday. I am sorry i forget to put the date. Yes the biggest fish swam very deep and good fought!

Xena :- Thanks for the nice comment :) Thanks

otter point to muir creek on the ebb yesterday morning - a few shakers and a few strikes which netted nothing. ran up to sherringham with similar results. bait, spoons and different depths. Saw a few nets out but nothing big. Perhaps the action was stronger further east, although the kreel survey guy at the ramp said springs in the teens had come in.

Fished 5am to 2pm Sunday at otter for the morning, then the trap to beachy in afternoon. No springs, did not see much action. Couple of coho released and a bunch of pinks. I was surprised they are here allready, bellies full of krill. What a beautiful day on the water. Went out deep off otter and found lots small pinks, time to dust off the smoker.

Outstanding fishing Discus!! Thanks for that report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back