Sooke2015

Can you retain a big hatch as second fish or will it be "one over one under" again ?

I'm with you here hoping the reg says 2 fish per day, one of which may be wild. Or two fish per day, only one wild over 67cm.

First option is simple and would work well I think. Worst case is 2 per day only one over 67cm that is frustrating tossing back teenage hatches all day. At least Releasing a big wild you feel like your doing something good but those hatchery fish are put and take. No conservation concern.

Not sure if hatchery salmon can be considered put and take. They are not triploids in a lake.
If 2 hatchery marked fish make it to the river and do their thing... the fry don't grow up marked.
Hard to know how many pure bread wild fish are out there from Hatchery supported rivers.
But that is an interesting discussion for another thread rather than reports.

Hope to have a report to give after the weekend.

Tips

100% catch desired out of gorst creek rearing pond

Not sure if hatchery salmon can be considered put and take. They are not triploids in a lake.
If 2 hatchery marked fish make it to the river and do their thing... the fry don't grow up marked.
Hard to know how many pure bread wild fish are out there from Hatchery supported rivers.
But that is an interesting discussion for another thread rather than reports.

Hope to have a report to give after the weekend.

Tips

The report I read linking a tagged hatch we caught in Whirl Bay in February said bcause the fish eggs actually came from a different river than the released fry they want 100 % catch rate from Gorst Creek rearing pond (Bremerton area). Too bad they are not readable from our phones so we know which to take and which to release.

Out this morning with my eldest son. Fished the Trap Shack till the wind go to be too much for us. Picked up two on the troll home between Beechy Head and Albridge pt, a small 47 cm that we released and an 8 1/2 lb which we kept for dinner. Both at 100 ft, uv hootchie and Super Betsy Gold flasher.
We did have a good pin popper about half way back on my 602 plug, but it was gone before I could get a hook set

Went out today after the whales went through thr straits. Just a short 4 hour trip 1-5pm. Had intended to fish Otter Point on a good afternoon flood tide but after listening to the radio reports I opted for Possession Pt. We lucked out into a nice 27 pound white. Had a couple more smaller hits that didn't stick. 60 feet and 50 feet were the active rods.

Nice Profisher! Good to see fish like that at Possession. I'll be there in a week so hopefully some more around.

We were out Saturday morning and picked up a couple of small springs of Possession Point. Both on anchovies, one at 85' and the other at 130'
IMG_5512.jpg

They cooked up nice!
IMG_5514.jpg

Went out today after the whales went through thr straits. Just a short 4 hour trip 1-5pm. Had intended to fish Otter Point on a good afternoon flood tide but after listening to the radio reports I opted for Possession Pt. We lucked out into a nice 27 pound white. Had a couple more smaller hits that didn't stick. 60 feet and 50 feet were the active rods.

Nice fish, profisher. I fished Sunday morning at Otter cuz a buddy lost a nice one to seals at Possession last week. However, I lost both cannonballs, flashers and teasers to what I believe was a crab trap. I saw the floats on my first pass, but pretty sure they were sucked under water when I wrapped their bloody line. Anyone else have a problem w those buoys off third rock at Otter?

I know, I know, always a good day when you are out on the water, but kind of a crappy morning for me. Oh, and did I mentioned I snapped a rod?

That sucks. The traps are in really tight to the fishing grounds this year. I also hooked up both deep lines yesterday. Managed to get all my gear back but had to cut the crab trap line. Interestingly the crab line had a ton of fishing line wrapped around it in a big birdsnest so that one may have got yours earlier in the day. I used to like fishing 80ft of water from otter to muir but it's almost impossible to do that line now

That sucks. The traps are in really tight to the fishing grounds this year. I also hooked up both deep lines yesterday. Managed to get all my gear back but had to cut the crab trap line. Interestingly the crab line had a ton of fishing line wrapped around it in a big birdsnest so that one may have got yours earlier in the day. I used to like fishing 80ft of water from otter to muir but it's almost impossible to do that line now

Hey Halibut-face, thanks for the feedback. Question for you - when you cut the crabtrap line do you re-tie it or just carry on? I was thinking of doing the same thing but couldn't get close enough to the trap in the current. Also, in the middle of the chaos I looked up and the "fleet" of boats running that Otter/Muir line was bearing down on me 7 boats wide - all snarly faced, dark sunglasses and biker moustaches - yikes - cut my line and got out of their way haha!

I didn't retie it. Maybe once the crabber has to drag a hook a few times to retrieve his set he'll figure out not to set so close to otter.

Report: 4 hours last night at otter and muir. Released a small spring and a small halibut. Saw one fish netted.

Picked up a nice one off Beachy head this morning. Right at tide change 08:30.
Was 25 pounds after it was cleaned.
Had a few small ones that I shook loose, 40-60' was working for me.

Nice fish, profisher. I fished Sunday morning at Otter cuz a buddy lost a nice one to seals at Possession last week. However, I lost both cannonballs, flashers and teasers to what I believe was a crab trap. I saw the floats on my first pass, but pretty sure they were sucked under water when I wrapped their bloody line. Anyone else have a problem w those buoys off third rock at Otter?

I know, I know, always a good day when you are out on the water, but kind of a crappy morning for me. Oh, and did I mentioned I snapped a rod?

Well sounds like my Sunday started with blown trailer bearing at the ramp.....Then when finally got it fixed went out later...just put out down riggers and whales passed by me..Got gear in water for 10 minutes and had same thing lost both cannoballs and gear off one rod.... Just stay away from them....I was between Otter and tin shed and it just littered with traps.... The one I hit was submerged...

Jammer - nice job - now that's an honest weight.

SpringV - I feel your pain, bro - thanks for sharing - best of luck and big fish your way.

I don't mind going in among the traps going into the current as you come up on the float and the rope is still in ahead of you. Also you come up to them quite slow. Different story if you are going with a strong current, by the time you see the float your gear is already into the rope. Do not use the plastic Scotty cannonball clips around crap traps!! They open up and allow the rope to get into the clip...now you are screwed and you will loose everything.

Back