Sooke2015

So all I hear about is this great winter spring fishing, and I'm feeling good about getting my visiting family onto a feeder. We ground it out for 7 hours , probably 4 in whirl bay then the rest in Beecher Bay - didn't even lose a bait to a rock fish! We tried3 or 4 spoons, chovies with different teaser heads, depths from 75 to 160...nada. Didn't mark any bait either.

Anyone else out today that did better that us? Have you always been marking bait on your good days?

777 ^

We fished a longgggg day on Saturday in Becher for one salmon.

It was our only bite and saw no other fish at the cleaning station.

I just don't think they were there this weekend as we weren't marking the bait or the fish.

Maybe they are still not there if you had tough luck yesterday?

Fished today after work in front of the harbour for about an hour. Caught a 10ish lb spring on a cop car coho killer in about 80-90 feet. Long skinny guy.

Anyone else finding the current predictions for the last week or so have been out to lunch? so much I went out yesterday and honestly didnt even bother checking the current...last three trips the currents have been nothing close to the predictions....
Please tell me someone else has experienced this, Or am I just going retarded faster than I realised.... :/

I thought they were accurate by Murrays tables. Early last Saturday morning was end of flood as shown and ebbed all morning which was correct. I heard another guide on the radio say the tide was going to change between 10-11am which I though was early so looked it up and the current wasn't supposed to change until between 2-3 pm. I left by noon and it was still ebbing hard.

777 I agree with mhb. Out this weekend both days in Beecher bay and whirl on Tues with no sign of the winters save for a hit on a cop car coho killer out close to the head. That was after trying everything in the tackle box. Tues morning in Whirl, we finally found bait at 230 feet but it was time to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
So all I hear about is this great winter spring fishing, and I'm feeling good about getting my visiting family onto a feeder. We ground it out for 7 hours , probably 4 in whirl bay then the rest in Beecher Bay - didn't even lose a bait to a rock fish! We tried3 or 4 spoons, chovies with different teaser heads, depths from 75 to 160...nada. Didn't mark any bait either.

Anyone else out today that did better that us? Have you always been marking bait on your good days?

777, if you have seen my few posts during Jan/Feb you will see you are not the only one. I had just one fish in three trips, so from my perspective the winter Chinook fishing off Sooke has been terrible this year. I am sure some have been doing O.K. especially the guides but for the average Joe it has been brutal. I think that is why there have been very few posts on the Sooke thread compared to previous years. Some guys only post if they catch and never bother to post the bad days!!:)

I have to agree with you Englishman, I am now retired and have found fishing for winter springs this year has been my poorest in at least the last 5 years. I do restrict myself to fair weather I can pick an chose my days as per weather and tides. I used to fish almost exculsely Sooke Bluffs for winter springs but even that area in not producing as well as Oak Bay, Constance, Whirl Bay and Victoria. Even if lucky enough to have a fish on the cute little ones will try to keep you from your catch.

777, if you have seen my few posts during Jan/Feb you will see you are not the only one. I had just one fish in three trips, so from my perspective the winter Chinook fishing off Sooke has been terrible this year. I am sure some have been doing O.K. especially the guides but for the average Joe it has been brutal. I think that is why there have been very few posts on the Sooke thread compared to previous years. Some guys only post if they catch and never bother to post the bad days!!:)

Just a note from us fisherman who post. Fishing and catching are not the same, please post if you are not the greatest fisherman, need not to catch at all. Fishing is a pleasure, catching is a bonus. As Englishman says most guys only post if they catch anything. Let's here from us peeps who tried but weren't successful......

Had a 45 minute fish on sunday around 3 between the harbour and bluffs. No nibbles, but really didn't put much into it :)

Also had my boat broken into last week and lost most of my fishing gear plus gps/sounder. Tied up to a private dock in sooke harbour. Lesson learned, nothing can stay locked in the cuddy.

Sorry to hear that reid.It seems the thieves keep getting more brazen all the time.Pain in the butt to have to pack
everything that's worth anything home with you every trip,but I guess that's what it's come to.I just despise those
bastards!

Any out in any of the local holes in the last few days?

It was pretty slow last time I was out..managed one fish out of Becher Bay.

went out and anchored up in 280 ft of water off sherringham,on that rocky pinacle,,from 9am till 2pm when the wind and rain picked up then left,,no luck,,even moved the anchore once to try another part of the same area ,,,nothing,

Took the last few weeks off fishing, but getting ready for the long weekend. Found a 4 legged friend in my boat this morning down at the docks. Where can i find those motion censored toys for the boat. No inside damage, just a pile of shells to deal with.

Hey Twig, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing your reports, get out there!

I haven't been fishing for a while, but I have noticed lots of salmon fry in the basin over the last few weeks. Mergansers are enjoying the buffet. And good to see some pisasters in some parts of the basin, hopefully the disease doesn't waste them all.

salmonblaster: try Priority One computers, they have/had all kinds of motion sensor deterrents

Fished today with Salmonblaster, just after 9 am , 10 lb or so chinook 2-3 minutes after the rods were in the water off the bluffs. That was it for the day, although wind, water , rain conditions seemed to just get worse as time went on.

Back