Sooke

S

seascene

Hello... I have never fished halibut before so I am going to sail down from Namaimo for the 1st week in May. I heard Race Rocks is good. What would be the closest marina for moorage for a few days? Also, my small diesel could not handle heavy tide rips so I am leery about being driven ashore by strong currents. Is this a concern here? And lastly, would there be any fly fishing streams in the area.

Thank you... Gary

The closest marina with moorage for you would be Pedder Bay, located north of Race Rocks towards William Head. The middle of the bay has a large navy tie up buoy and the north side has the prison on it. Just keep heading up into the bay to find the marina. Race Rocks is named because the tide races there. Please refer to your pilot book or chart and especially your tide book. Look up race rocks on your search engine and you will find the tide charts for the area.
Tom

Be very carefull off of race if you have never been there before,it can be really nasty there if you do not know what you are doing its called race rocks for a reason it races there very fast and is very rocky. There is probablty a few thousand anchors on the bottom there from people that have had to cut there anchor line off because they couldnt get it unstuck the best bet would be to hire a guide to SHOW!!!!!!! you what we do down here. it really isnt that expensive for a lesson on the local waters because there is a art to catching those flatties.

Good luck Wolf

Hey seascene call maddog he's the best new guide around!

Just Bring it!

Back