Sooke to Barkley Sound

Fishtank
Here’s why I launched at China Creek (taking it slow on the 10k’s of logging road);
Fuel dock
Salt ice available
Restaurant
Secure parking
No conflict with nets in the river (depending on time of year)
Makes sense if your staying at china creek but hes staying in bamfield

I have done this journey a few times in a similar vessel as yours. Pick your day and make sure the winds are low... bring some extra fuel and a few corn dogs and you will good to go.

BBB

It’s called Fogaust on the west coast of the island for a reason ... so if it’s not windy/stormy some serious fog at some point is likely. Radar and chart plotter with some form of redundant navigation should be standard for anyone boating significant distance and/or remote stretches. I’m in the group that wouldn’t do it in a 17-footer but, if your motor and electronics are sound, Wx forecast is good and stable, ultimate decision is up to you and your crew.

Cheers!

Ukee

Let me try to find my video of my trip from Sooke to Renfrew when the marine weather called for calm seas all day.... taking our time whale watching, catching some sun, some fishing along the way... no problem when it's calm.... fast forward 5-6 hrs later and in rolls a very strong NW giving us 12' stacking waves. Nope, not on the forecast whatsoever. My buddy has another video of us in the same situation outside of Tofino when the weather report was excellent for the day...Nope, things went side ways very quickly and we were in very nasty conditions very quickly. Same like that all up the coast. Winter Harbor, same thing..And when those NW'rs come pushing into the top of WhatTheFucka they don't just take a straight path, they can get turning all around which is why lots of the stacking/breaking waves aren't always easy to judge and pick a path through. And we were in a closed in cabin with self bailing deck. Had we been in an open smaller boat (traveling on the idea/reports of good weather) we would have been in very serious trouble. Open boats in stacking waves is a no win situation no matter how you want to sugar coat it. You hear some people saying things like "oh i'd rather be in a small tin can, light weight, open boat in bad weather, big waves, cause I'll just float right up and over them" Ya sure, in a big wide roller no problem. If you think that's true in the kinds of waves you get in mixed winds/currents/tides up our west coast then you're full of you know what. Cause that just isn't the case..
Go up the coast a bit farther and you can get all kinds of winds coming from all different directions and changing quickly. To travel such a far distance in open water is very very risky relying on a weather report. Yes of course you may be fine a lot of the time. But is it worth it being in the middle of it when things don't go as planned and you are in a boat that is not built to take water over the bow and sides? Have you been in storms/bad water conditions where your motor (motors) stall out? Have you seen a boat go completely broad side to a large wave under no power? With one motor it only takes a split second for things to go sideways in bad weather.
I will try to get the videos posted if I can. Like I said, good weather report, long distance to travel, yet things don't go that way.. If you're in a 17' open boat, one engine, 3 guys, gear, fuel etc.. How do the odds look?
In bad weather, say safe refuge is only 2 km's away on your chart and you may think it's close so no worries, but getting there in that bad weather can take a very long time where lot's of opportunity for things to go sideways can happen in a blink of an eye. Now picture that safe refuge being 40 to 60 km's away..

If you are on holidays and only have a small window of time of a few days to have a good time with buddies why make it dependent on the weather report being perfect? Why not plan your trip logistically sound and safe and dependable? Those kinds of good planning make vacations go well.

We have choices when we are out on the water but our kids and wives back home don't have those choices. They are the ones that will be suffering the consequences if we don't come back home.

What you may think is perfect sometimes isnt it may be flat calm here in sooke and 7 ft waves on way up it all depends on tides and current and what the weather has happened days before way out, I personally wouldnt even consider it in a 17 footer,
point is a friend of mine was in bammy trying to get home it was flat here he called me saying im not coming... im like why?? he was in a 28 foot grady at time he said it was the worst hes ever seen 10 footer with a slick on top, he was stuck there for a extra couple of days .We are lucky here as we have bigwavedave to help us out as it has current weather and webcams but there really isnt anything from sheringham up.I think your very smart and going to trailer it.

When I started running commercial fishing boats my uncle (who was also a commercial fisherman) told me there are old commercial fisherman and bold commercial fisherman never bold old commercial fisherman. I’m with the majority on this one take the trailer option and enjoy the wonderful scenery down the inlet

Trailer it is! Cheers

Smart. We do this for fun and no one is paying us to take risks in small boats. My boat is a lot bigger than 17 feet and I make a point of fishing close to Sooke Inlet and the harbour if there is any doubt at all about the weather possibly turning later in the day. The weather reports are not always correct and sometimes it can turn far worse than expected. JDF is also known for often being full of wood, logs and deadheads that are harder and sometimes impossible to see in bumpy water and fog and can rip off your motor or punch a hole in your boat not to mention breaking bones and throwing you out of it. If that ever happens you do not want to be on a lonely part of the coast in a small boat with no safe harbours and without a companion boat or no one else around.

Last edited:
Trailer it is! Cheers
Smartest decision ever. I have guided Bamfield for over 20 years, including running down to Swiftsure and out to the Big Bank. I would never dream of telling you to run up the outside in a 17 foot boat - simply doesn't make any sense and anyone with extensive on-water experience in this area understands the risks and would tell you the same. As many posters have stated, the water conditions change rapidly on this section of coastline, even when the forecast is good. There are far too many risks IMO to be making that trip in a small boat. Like many things, there are always days when you could easily make the trip safely....no brainer....its when weather starts turning that a fun trip turns south and you could become a statistic.

The guy has decided that common sense wins the day,good for him.
Also nice to see a lot of people kicking in and giving good advice.
The ocean can be a very lonely place to be ,especially when things start going wrong ,so why stick your neck out unnecessarily.

build bail and sail is comming soon in coxox.and to have the toolbox in your corner is admirable.just to note to others to defuse tac hardy - winters. can be done with this tread .why not? "keep" it going with oppertunity is for those W.H.O(death by gps) or (google earth) they are differant, venture into the dark.ps,don't pop the bubble wrap or we all drink.

Good decision I always say no fish is worth drowning over! I fish in the Barkley Sound area every year you don’t want to be on the outside when it’s blowing.
Does anyone know where the love of god goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours,
(Gordon Lightfoot)!

Have done the trip from Sooke to Bamfield and the reverse as well quite a few times. If the weather forecast is good and the lighthouse reports from that stretch of water reflect the good forecast....you need 3 hours to make the trip....1.5 to Renni and another 1.5 to Bamfield. I've done the trip in clear weather, fog, flat calm and nasty rough. I had to get there each time to fish the next morning. The rough day took me closer to 5 hours to make the trip up. Fog isn't that big a deal if you have decent electronics. Back in the 90's all I had was a good sounder which tracked bottom well on plane. and a good compass. At that time it was all I needed. I stayed 1 mile off the beach and followed that depth of water all the way to the entrance of Barkley. Kept the compass on W and the depth constant which kept me a minimum of 1 mile off. As soon as the bottom began to drop away while I was still heading W I knew I had reached the entrance to Barkley and made the right turn towards the beach. I broke out of the fog on target off Beale. If you do make the run carry spare fuel which I did and be prepared in the worst case scenario to turn around and ride following seas back to Renni or Sooke. I never had to do that but would have if it got too sketchy. I would only make the trip up right at daybreak....gets you out of JDF strait before any winds build. Once at Jordan River you usually have less wind but any offshore swells begin there. I would usually have to slow down once in the swells especially on an ebb current.

Have done the trip from Sooke to Bamfield and the reverse as well quite a few times. If the weather forecast is good and the lighthouse reports from that stretch of water reflect the good forecast....you need 3 hours to make the trip....1.5 to Renni and another 1.5 to Bamfield. I've done the trip in clear weather, fog, flat calm and nasty rough. I had to get there each time to fish the next morning. The rough day took me closer to 5 hours to make the trip up. Fog isn't that big a deal if you have decent electronics. Back in the 90's all I had was a good sounder which tracked bottom well on plane. and a good compass. At that time it was all I needed. I stayed 1 mile off the beach and followed that depth of water all the way to the entrance of Barkley. Kept the compass on W and the depth constant which kept me a minimum of 1 mile off. As soon as the bottom began to drop away while I was still heading W I knew I had reached the entrance to Barkley and made the right turn towards the beach. I broke out of the fog on target off Beale. If you do make the run carry spare fuel which I did and be prepared in the worst case scenario to turn around and ride following seas back to Renni or Sooke. I never had to do that but would have if it got too sketchy. I would only make the trip up right at daybreak....gets you out of JDF strait before any winds build. Once at Jordan River you usually have less wind but any offshore swells begin there. I would usually have to slow down once in the swells especially on an ebb current.
But what boat were you in?

Exactly - the question was would you do the trip in a 17 foot boat. We run down to Swiftsure from Bami all the time in larger boats with all the electronic equipment - I would never dream of trying it in a 17 footer.

I have a 20’ Grady (well equipped) single main, wouldn’t do it. Dads 30’ eaglcraft (very well equipped) with twins, sure, on a nice day.

build bail and sail is comming soon in coxox.and to have the toolbox in your corner is admirable.just to note to others to defuse tac hardy - winters. can be done with this tread .why not? "keep" it going with oppertunity is for those W.H.O(death by gps) or (google earth) they are differant, venture into the dark.ps,don't pop the bubble wrap or we all drink.

I gotta have drinks with you one day

Back