Sooke Salmon Enhancement Derby - info?

Tips Up

Looking for info on this derby.
Weigh in times and location. Dinner time and location.

Can't seem to find anything but the basic info on poster.

Thanks!

Its been cancelled due to low ticket purchases . It was listed under this thread https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-group-juan-de-fuca-fishing-tournament.67959/

NOTICE OF CANCELLATION

It is with regret we announce that the 2018 Oak Bay Marine Group Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament will not take placeas scheduled/planned.

This annual celebration of saltwater angling has historically served as a prominent event on the fishing calendar and an important fundraiser for SVIAC’s Sooke Chinook Enhancement Initiative. Very low ticket sales at this late stage have prompted the SVIACBoard of Directors, the event organizers, to cancel the event in order to avoid incurring a significant loss.

DFO’s ill-advised and clumsy handling of Southern Resident Killer Whale recovery and closed areas this spring have hurt the local salmon fishery and all those who rely on it. Having the media chatter about fisheries being closed has also negatively influenced angler sentiment. In addition, the extension of Chinook management measures to the end of July has caused many to opt to go fishing where there are no restrictions. SVIAC’s Board of Directors is of the opinion that our event is a victim of these factors too and damage to our fundraising efforts for rearing 1,000,000 juvenile Chinook in the Sooke Basin in 2019 is but one example of this.

Ticket purchasers and event sponsors will receive a refund. A small fundraiser will be set up soon in an attempt to generate money to fill the void the fishing tournament profits would have provided to the Sooke Chinook Enhancement Initiative.

We would like to express our sincere appreciation to all involved for their generous support and help make the Oak Bay Marine Group Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament a success in the past. Please know we are extremely disappointed we find ourselves in this unfortunate position and apologise for any inconvenience that may arise from cancelling the fishing tournament.

Different derby.
Got the info. They were quick to respond to an email.
Derby is this weekend. I’ll be grabbing tix tomorrow

Thanks

My mistake sorry

Derby Aug 4-5/18... Weigh-in is at the corner of Sooke & Phillips Rd from dawn to 7:00 on Sat and dawn until 1:00 Pm on Sunday.
The dinner is at 2:00 pm on Sunday at Sooke flats, good food, good times and great people.

Great derby and well organized. Nothing big for us this year. A number of fish weighed biggest was 29lbs. I hope more get behind this derby next year as I like the format. Not huge crazy prizes with lots of cash, and the majority of money raised going to salmon enhancement for Jack Brooks. It also is more of family orientated derby which is great to see.

I was surprised not to see more people there to be honest.

Will be back next year.

I stopped and asked about ticket sales and they said about 225 sold which is 50-75 less than average for them. We projected being about 100 off of last years sales for our event. Last year we sold 280 and 250 is the break even mark. So at 180 it was over for us.

Back