Sooke Rescue Boat In Night Exercise Incident

The Slug trail will tell the real story. Not a soft spot to hit either, depending on witch direction they where going they could of rolled right over the point or just slid up the side of it

Last edited:
High five to the guy that only knows full throttle ✋ they probably didn’t see the land until they where on it.

Seriously that’s why you don’t fly around on the water in the dark and why chartploters/gps / sounders are just aids so you have a idea of what’s around you. When your going faster than the plotter can keep up things like this happen.

Oh man, not a good situation as these are the people you would have wanted to respond, guess there is luckily another sar boat close by

1000 to 1 .I think fishermen have the finness to depart land daily.thanks everyone for being there best on the water.I think the last time i heard of a ship taking a kiss on the bow was a hmcs ship on training.we beat ourselfves up more than any enemy could ever do.know your limits.

I hope that everyone is ok. Training missions should probably be conducted at slower speeds in the future. Possibly more experienced hands in lookout positions wouldnt hurt as well. These tragedies can be avoided with the proper kind of training.

I think we need to have more info first. Lots of assumptions here. We were not there and dont know the cause. I think its probably fairly embarrassing for them as well.

That boat had far better electronics and radar than any of our boats and guys are well trained than many of us. I am sure we will hear more in the next few days. My thoughts are a mechanical issue but dont know.

Part of the training with these guys is response tine so going slow isn't an option when lives are at stake. That's why they do those night training exercises. Many times they may have to respond in the dark.

I have a friend who is part of Nanaimo’s Search and Rescue. As a life long mariner I would not run the boats in the dark at the speeds they do. It is simply unsafe.

I feel like the info will be buried and this is the last we will hear of this
If someone died it would be a fully different story and hopefully everyone is okay

Bryce. If there had been a death it would have likely ended up with a Coroner's Inquest and resulting recommendations. I have taken that route many many times. Not the best area for high speed maneuvers in the dark; rock reefs, hand buoys, not to mention lots of crab trap floats to hang your leg and prop on and the area along that route is frequently used for overnight anchorage by sail boats. Nothing like going out a little too fast in the thick morning fog and almost running into an anchored all white sailboat that does not have a good radar signature and is hidden in the fog without an anchor light on.

Last edited:
Bryce. If there had been a death it would have likely ended up with a Coroner's Inquest and resulting recommendations. I have taken that route many many times. Not the best area for high speed maneuvers in the dark; rock reefs, hand buoys, not to mention lots of crab trap floats to hang your leg and prop on and the area along that route is frequently used for overnight anchorage by sail boats. Nothing like going out a little too fast in the thick morning fog and almost running into an anchored all white sailboat that does not have a good radar signature and is hidden in the fog without an anchor light on.
I wasn’t trying to be rude or anything by my comment just saying we probably won’t hear anything about it accidents can happen on the water anywhere at anytime glad no one was hurt.

I was just forwarded this....

It's an interesting read from an insider's perspective on RCM-SAR

Attachments

• Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Printer(1) (1).pdf
    293.7 KB · Views: 258
Very eye opening indeed.

there will be a Transport Canada investigation. Won't hear the results for a year. Like all "accidents" is was a combination of ;
a. Lack of Knowledge
b. Lack of Judgement
c. Lack of Experience
or any combination of the above. Glad no one died,.

beemer

I was just forwarded this....

It's an interesting read from an insider's perspective on RCM-SAR
There are always two sides to every story. Unless any of this letter content is substantiated, and verified through the statements of others, I'll just dismiss this as more of a letter of sour grapes from a dismissed member.

Back