SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I hear ya too. Ive only trolled a total of about 6 hours this season. Not one bite other then some lings. Its a joke. They will be here soon.

I hear ya too wolf. DFO is just f'ed up. I can't believe this ministry. It is so messed up. They have slot size to protect the wild then there thinking of opening it for 1 month. 1 over and 1 under. What is the deal. This is my take and I know charter companies won't like this as it will kill there business but they should shut the whole thing down even native fishery and only have a 2-3 week opening. That is it. None of this on again off again crap. People are killing fish to get to the right size. etc etc. it is just ridiculous. Why would someone who hooks a 20lbs wild spring. Gill hooked release it when it is going to die anyways. So stupid way to go DFO. DFO Stands for Dumb Fishing Officer. OMG Really are they that stupid. Yes they truly are. It a fricken comedy hour at DFO. How do they sleep at night? Shut it down or let the fisherman keep what they catch 2 per day and go home. Instead of seeing floating 20lbs go by your boat. Crazy.

cby

most of the stupid regulations are made up from the dfo bureaucrats in ottawa who dont have a clue whats going on on the coast let alone they probably have never seen the coast. My dad just retired as a fisheries officer and he is truly happy to be done with the dfo and federal government ******** politics and regulations mandated from ottawa

obviously I'm no in favor of the regs but you can't deny that sooke/vic guys hammer on fraser fish and they are in trouble. They need every single fish they can get. Ya ya the indians will get them but we can't change that, we can just do our part.

I think the point is they don't want us even putting our rods in the water, its SFAB that pushed to give us something and that something is we have to release wild fish(could be wrong on that one but I think thats how it worked out).

If the thought of gill hooking a wild fish disgusts you, then don't put your gear in the water. Don't ***** online then go out and troll for them and act pissed off when you catch one - you were targeting them!!

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

I feel bad for you charter guys with this slot retention in place. Just trying to make an honest living and not like you cant just not go - you have bills to pay and clients to keep happy.

At least with sporties we can use our discretion. Whenever I run into by-catch I change the gear, depth, location, and if that don't work pack it in. I remember last year I could not keep the wild coho off. After a couple floaters released to feed the dogfish, packed it in.

**** always hits the fan when natural resource conservation (rationale or not) and peoples pay cheques/livelyhood collide. ANytime a dollar value is placed on a resource ie. sockeye aka gold bars of the fraser, its future is questionable. The biggest looser always is the resource. like a wild spring in the slot size with a hook hanging out your gills or a Port Alberni sockeye rotting in a ditch because a "special" group netted too many and could not sell them by the end of the day [xx(]. The politicians are the "winners" collecting huge salaries/pensions and not accountable for their decisions. Is it politicians that make you sick or our society in general? The greed is all around.

Long live wild salmon.

I think the point is they don't want us even putting our rods in the water, its SFAB that pushed to give us something and that something is we have to release wild fish(could be wrong on that one but I think thats how it worked out).

AS of June 19, it's either 2 fish under or 1 over/1 under
wild or hatchery. Don't get me wrong as i'm glad we can still fish but
tell me how that helps the Fraser fish ?
Must have been some heavy pressure to open it for the derby.

Um yup heard some good stories! There might have been just a little pressure.lol

I have noticed people talking about releasing wild fish, both Coho and Chinook. Just because those fish are not clipped, don’t assume they are wild. If you are fishing in JDF there is a good chance that what you are releasing are Hatchery fish. Unfortunately, unlike their US counter parts, DFO in Canada restricts the clipping of hatchery Coho and Chinook. Essentially many of the fish you are throwing back, including those over the slot are just being wasted. My understanding is that for the first time DFO would not allow the clipping of any Sooke Hatchery Chinook. Think about the logic of that, we have a politically driven extension of the slot restriction followed by a reduction to one fish all in place supposedly to protect early run Fraser Chinook that now have gone past and are already in the river. Rather than increase the clipping of hatchery Chinook to fill the gap and mitigate some of the economic and social damage; DFO cuts back. They don’t like to have to check more heads because it costs money and they don’t like to clip fish without a wire tag which also costs money to put in the fish. Apparently they can’t spare the tiny percentage of their billion dollar budget that it would take to do so, as they have other priorities. This very trouble Ministry desperately needs a change of political and executive leadership and a major reorganization.

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

Unfortunately, unlike their US counter parts, DFO in Canada restricts the clipping of hatchery Coho and Chinook.

My understanding is that for the first time DFO would not allow the clipping of any Sooke Hatchery Chinook.
Way less than 50% of our springs are clipped, but are you indicating DFO is restricting clipping? Or... they just don't want to pay for the clipping? [?]

My understanding is that in our local Hatchery historically only a small percentage of the Chinook were clipped. I have seen the numbers from last year but don’t recall them. Someone else on here likely knows the numbers. My understanding this year is that they will not permit any Chinook to be clipped. They don’t seem concerned at all about sport fishing opportunities, the way of life here or the economic value of doing so.
I suspect that when people talk about catching clipped fish here they are usually catching American fish. Apparently DFO is upset by all the fish that you US guys clip as they have to wade through more heads looking for their own few wire tags. That may be one of the reasons they are cutting back, not wanting to add to the numbers of heads to check. Interestingly they see it as a problem and not the solution to do so. As for the cost of clipping, that is done for free by volunteer sport fishermen. In fact, I understand the whole hatchery is run by volunteers and supported to a large extent by donations, derbies etc. DFO should be using their billions to expand and properly fund Hatcheries and clip all hatchery fish. If we do what the US is doing, (even if it’s not a 100% clipping) sport fishing off Victoria and Sooke would be thriving. Now if the sport fishing sector were Norwegian fish farm corporations, we would be rolling in DFO support.

Well why dont we clip them differently or just does that make sense?

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Well why dont we clip them differently or just does that make sense?
I'd assume the adipose is the only one that can be clipped so as to not effect their equilibrium and manoeuvrability (just a hunch). Chris73 did a trial with a jagged Chris special...perhaps that can be the new standard!

Personally, the only solution I see if we want to allow for a large sports clipped harvest, is to outfit all launches/head collection depots with the same scanners that DFO use (figure out how to make theft proof - chain to building whatever stored right beside the collection box). Apparently they run only $300 each and I'm sure our derby would be willing to deck out most of south island, but the problem would be that you'd have to cover their entire migratory route for it truly to help out DFO.

Perhaps DFO can make recommendations up and down the coast and then once thats in place, let us clip out the ying yang. Catch a hatch, scan it on site, no buzz, throw the head to the lard azz seals...problem solved. I'd figure all marina facilities would be willing to cough up $300 for the sake of keeping a fishery alive, even if it were mostly hatchery.

I'm sure its just wishful thinking though.

I thought that province used to clip the pectoral fin and they seem to be not affected.... Salmon might be a different story?

Deewar25 I was just at a little meeting at esquimalt anglers and we were just talking about that it's in the works asit will help them out as well then they only have to go through the pinneed heads.

Also even if were against it we all have to do our part in turning in heads and answering those creel surveys or there going to shut us rite down no maybe's about it no help means no fishing period.So time to bite our tounges and give them the answers they need it will help in the end.

I had an eye opener this morn when fisheries showed me how many springs were caught in the jdf for each month in 09 and there was no way there were that many.They said without our help there's alot of guestimating.They had over 4000 alone for sept can't even be close to that not even half but thats what they had.On the other side they had less than 500 for all of may which there was way more than that.

good to hear trev that at least there is consideration on working that angle (think it was an idea I came up with at the clipping, but I'm sure others did two once they ran through the logic).

Also, mirroring what you say, I learned from the creel guy on the last fishing trip (yeah yeah chris73, you probably told me at some point, but I didn't clue in), is that if we don't turn in heads, DFO places a penalty clause on the calculations and that in turn probably makes the catch results that much worse in their report. Turn in all heads, no penalty, don't turn in any, they penalize us more based on sheer guessing and the number they report back is likely much higher than it really is.

Those that refuse to give the creel guys info as it turns out, are hurting us that much more. Sure, could be BS, but it sure as heck seems logical to me and that's probably what I'd do if I were in their shoes.

The penalty factor is based on what head recoveries they figure should turn up based on observed boat-hours. So if on a June long weekend say 1500 boat hours were observed/estimated in Victoria they figure that 100 heads (just grabbing numbers) should be turned in. If only 20 heads appear then a penalty factor is applied. To what magnitude I am not sure but it's not in our favour.

Not really being serious but what would happen if we turned in every head then? [}:)]
And is there even a head depot in Sooke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back