SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Wolfie! Don't howl at me like that. I am happy, really. After 5 hockey practices and one game for my son all week I was glad for every minute I could spend on the water - so I had a great day. It was just not a world record, that's all ;)

Had a nice day out there today, took my dad out.
Really enjoyed the time I spent with him.
We didn't get into them very well today, was down towards Otter not much for the effort.
Was running back to Secretary and Saw Roy, stopped to say hi. and see how he was doing.

Thanks for the tip Roy,appreciate it, Dad got into 4 and lost a couple of others using the info.
He was pretty excited (let him run the gear).

Not a record day for us but I sure enjoyed it.
Dan.

Got out for a few hours again today. Kept a couple just under 10 and a 17.5 pound Coho. Also lost a very large Northern when it got off. I thought it had thrown the hook after a lot of runs and jumps but it actually just killed this little Coho Killer spoon I just bought. It got some tork on it against the flasher and bent the tail on the spoon right over, chipped off the glow paint (there brass), twisted the stainless hook ring into a figure eight and broke or open up the hook eye so I got back the busted up spoon without the hook. They need to make them a little more heavy duty with a swivel on the front and perhaps even one on the hook. Don’t think I will be using them again when the really big ones are around.

Rockfish-- Same story for me today twice. One smashed the spoon so hard it bent it into a bannana. I will show a pic in a little bit when I have time to put it up.

I also had a fish his so hard and my drag was a little tight it broke the snap swivel between the flasher and the spoon. It was insane. It musthave ran 100 feet before it broke and the reel was just screaming!

Got into 18 fish today and landed 14 of them. Took home 2 wild and 3 hatch.

Im starting to get pissed at the large amount of people who dont know the regs on Coho yet. Its a joke. Some guy was telling everyone 3 wild and 1 hatchery. WTF! I saw a single guy cleaning 5 wild and one hatch at the dock. He was filleting and taking all fins and tail off the fish and tossing them in a small igloo cooler! Yikes! somtimes I wish there was fisheries undercover. But we all know that wont happen.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Im starting to get pissed at the large amount of people who dont know the regs on Coho yet. Its a joke. Some guy was telling everyone 3 wild and 1 hatchery. WTF! I saw a single guy cleaning 5 wild and one hatch at the dock. He was filleting and taking all fins and tail off the fish and tossing them in a small igloo cooler! Yikes! somtimes I wish there was fisheries undercover. But we all know that wont happen.

-Steve

Yep, i hear ya - stupid women at the launch yesterday morning telling some guy asking the exact same thing - 3 wild, 1 hatchery - said it twice at which point I said NO, 3 hatchery 1 wild in a real bitter tone! Idiots out there. Was good to hear DFO was out Friday at the launch, but that is 1 weekend they really should have been out there checking - I mean really, how hard is it to find 3 guys to work Cheanuh, Pedder and Sunny shores from say 11-3pm both days? They can't afford 12 man hours to cover probably the busiest marinas in the whole coast on this weekend??? Poor planning in my books.

Maybe we should all chip in $5 to pay the scariest SOB (with fishing knowledge) a good chunk of change to just sit at the cleaning table and scare the crap out of idiots that don't read regulations and come back with illegal fish. Just scare em a little, make them pee their pants or cry while still remaining lawful, and think twice next time??? lol [}:)]

Speaking of idiots. Talked to my buddy "Masterbaiter" last night who was out off Secretary Saturday. These guys in a boat with WN (Wash.) number on the side pull up to them and say " Hey Buddy, can ya'll help us out. We was buzz bombin off the island there and caught this, what kinda fish is it", holding up about 20lb ling. My buddy says "It's a ling cod and they're out of season" Guy says "Really, well what about this one", holding up another ling. Buddy says its another ling, your not supposed to keep. "Well we got 3 of 'em, you want one" My friend says "hell no and you better not get caught with them" Last he sees they are buggerin off straight out towards the border. I thought he was joking but he says he couldn't believe it if these guys had come over from the states for the day.

So here is my somewhat belated post which compares very modestly with the recent post from Rockfish and the other experts, but at least I caught something for a change. We went out on Friday and caught 4 fish. Two were small feeder Chinook of about 3 and 5 lbs respectively and we also had two 11lb Coho, one wild and one hatch. Got them on red/green/white hootchie and anchovy (one of each on each) at 120’ opposite the mouth of Becher in 350 feet of water. Nothing startling but at least I have broken the skunk on the Chinook and the Coho were the largest fish I have yet taken on my recently acquired boat. Thanks again for all the tips, advice and suggestions guys!!

Good on you English,Yes you have to appreciate what we have maybe nows the time to take a kid out and introduce him to fishing its not about breaking "world records"if it is wrong place im sorry to say. Fishing is not like it was 10.20,or 30 yrs ago enjoy it for the good times the wather etc hanging with good friends take it for what it is Remember its called fishing not "CATCH"!!!!

Here is a pic from yesterdays trip and look at the 8yr old face he is from South Africa never ever been on the pacific before got his first salmon a nice 12 lber, Loved going "FAST" on the boat alot first for this young man and do you think he will ever forget this trip????

I doubt it I think the smile sums it all up.....
SOOKEsalmon2010087.jpg

Good catch gypseas, and Dan glad you got your dad into fish when you came zipping by Thought it was santa early with that hair LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back