Sooke Reports - Spring/Summer 09

having a few drinks this afternoon charlie??:D

The fat stubbies around here USED to be called columbians, now its been proven they are early fraser fish. This has been accepted for some time now, regardless what DC "500 a year" reid says.

I'd also love to hear where you came up with 42% of local clipped fish are Canadian? I don't think there is any major clipping of springs in Canada any more.

As for actual sooke reports, a buddy got a 15 or so off muir today but pretty slow from what I hear still.

enough of the ramblings already - keep to the topic and take this crap elsewhere....

just my two bits!

Charlie,
The skipper on the seine boat I once worked on used to be a troller. He told many stories about a guy named named Smell'um Bellum, AKA the Smelly Fella on the Lady Nella. This guy claimed to be able to differentiate between Fraser and Columbia Chinooks by odor. Perhaps, if he is still alive, we need to get him on D.C. Reid's boat to put an end to the debate.

Maybe he can smell what I ate yesterday that made me get the ****s! This Topic is a joke, I think the girls should take there catfight to another thread. Who cares what fish come from were and are called what, lets just catch em and eat em...

Saw one about 18 pounds netted at Aldridge today.

-Steve

Actually I'm kind of enjoying the topic,, definitely learning some good stuff. Maybe if some of you weren't so closed minded you might actually learn something as well,, nahh can't do that eh you already know everything lololo..

Nothing poorer than a fishermen that knows everything and can't learn...

But maybe this should be taken to its own post it is distracting from the main topic..

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Please take it to another post. I'm dying to respond to theis BS (I am quite familiar with the POST data)but won't further hijack this thread.

20kn at Race, and today was my day to fish [V]

Gooey

I fished all day Saturday between the Head and the Trap Shack. Out at 0700 didn't leave till 1500. Not a bite. Tried everything from 50 ft right down to 140 ft. Used anchovy, plastic bait (squirt) and even a new Baitrix. I only saw one other fish taken at about 1300. A nice size spring around 20-25 lbs. Anyone else have any luck? If you did, pls tell me what your using, depth etc. I'll be out next week for 4 days. I know its a bit early, but, not seeing much so far.

Matador

Went out for the first spring hunt of the year and boated a 21.4 lber withing the first 30 seconds at otter then nothing.. Packed it up at 12. Nice day on the chuck with a decent fish to start the year off!

Went out for the first spring hunt of the year and boated a 21.4 lber withing the first 30 seconds at otter then nothing.. Packed it up at 12. Nice day on the chuck with a decent fish to start the year off!

Sounds like good day spooled.

Thx for the info and keep it coming.

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Sounds like good day spooled.

Thx for the info and keep it coming.

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Nothing to report but sometimes nothing can be a help..... so here goes.....
I was out on Sunday as well, Fished from 8:00 am till about 2:00 pm. Fished from Beechy Head to Secretary from 40 to 120 feet looking for a spring but never got a bite.(Never saw one being caught either) Tried purple haze heads and flasher, green/blue heads and flashers, chrome heads, bloody nose heads. Tried a Sooke gold flasher,Green flasher even a Monkey puke Flasher and the never fail red hot spot but that didn't help. Had the black box set at .650 (that is the right voltage for springs isn't it?). I was wanting to catch a Salmon so bad I almost put out a red hootchie looking for an early Pink Salmon but I think its about a month early for humpies.... Right? It was good to get the gear in the water and do a dry run just to make sure everything is ready to go. Here's to a great year of Salmon fishing coming up. May the fish Gods shine upon you this summer.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Nothing to report but sometimes nothing can be a help..... so here goes.....
I was out on Sunday as well, Fished from 8:00 am till about 2:00 pm. Fished from Beechy Head to Secretary from 40 to 120 feet looking for a spring but never got a bite.(Never saw one being caught either) Tried purple haze heads and flasher, green/blue heads and flashers, chrome heads, bloody nose heads. Tried a Sooke gold flasher,Green flasher even a Monkey puke Flasher and the never fail red hot spot but that didn't help. Had the black box set at .650 (that is the right voltage for springs isn't it?). I was wanting to catch a Salmon so bad I almost put out a red hootchie looking for an early Pink Salmon but I think its about a month early for humpies.... Right? It was good to get the gear in the water and do a dry run just to make sure everything is ready to go. Here's to a great year of Salmon fishing coming up. May the fish Gods shine upon you this summer.... Steve.

quote:[iI almost put out a red hootchie looking for an early Pink Salmon but I think its about a month early for humpies.... Right?

I doubt you'll see any good numbers of pinks until July/Aug.
but there will be lots then. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger
Had the black box set at .650 (that is the right voltage for springs isn't it?)
Here is some info I found.....
Chinook .60
Coho .65
Sockeye .75
Chum .70
Pink salmon .60

Black boxes have been used by commercial fisherman with great success for a long time. Personaly I have never had a use for one, my friends usually set their boxes around .595. Braided rigger line and good zincs go a long way to help create a fishy field.

Thanks Luna, I couldn't remember if it was .600 or .650 for springs. Next time out I will set it at .600 and see if that makes a differance.

Back