Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

went out to 600 feet of water this morning at around 8am,caught a 9lb wild coho at about 440 feet on the way trolling out,got extremelly nasty with the winds picking up at around 10am so trolled into beecher bay and trolled there till about 1pm,trooled the flag poll and had one real good strike that got off then it even got a bit rough in there so we pulled up the lines and went to check our crab trap,,no surprise,nothing,,going to try again tomorrow,,winds permitting,,today all we seen out fishing was another 5 boats,,that's it

Fished Sunday in father in laws boat, 8:30- 1pm. Hubby got his un clipped half hour in, 8 lbs. (20ft/500+ft water, coho killer) father in law lost a similar size one at the boat (lost the hook), I had a beauty on and it spit the hook out,(coho killer seem to lose a lot of fish?) Finally, after 3 more hours, I pick up a 6 lber un clipped (60ft/500+water, glow white squirt), another half hour on the way in, father in law picks up his 6 lber, un clipped (top line, 6oz weight, hootchie, 100ft of water) the sun was out, a bit of a cool breeze but great to be out!! Xena......

Got my dad out yesterday for some Coho, 8:00-12:00, 6 Coho to the boat, kept two wilds and one hatchery. We head straight out from Sooke H. 500ft. dropped the gear in and started trolling out... picked up two Coho out farther just before the first shipping lane then the shakers got real bad! every rod would have a shaker on the second you put it down, couldn't get away from them so turned around and started trolling back in to get away from the shakers.. encountered a mile long thick kelp tide line that we could not cross so trolled parallel to it which was a good thing we got 4 Coho on that tac. Finally broke through the kelp line and kept trolling back in and never had another strike after in closer..

oh ya! the shakers were so bad!! that's why my hubby caught his coho at 20 ft, because he got so tired of reeling them in, shorter took less time!! they were everywhere, all depths, hate to have to drag them around for any length of time. one shaker ate my 6 inch anchovy!! talk about small fish syndrome...........

Out today and man was it cold and wind from the east. Still Coho out there 80 to 100 feet. Found some nice ones in the 500 foot area off the bluffs. It felt like winter fishing with snow up high in the Sooke hills. Tuff to find the Hatchery ones.

Fixing your Coho Killer

Fished Sunday in father in laws boat, 8:30- 1pm. Hubby got his un clipped half hour in, 8 lbs. (20ft/500+ft water, coho killer) father in law lost a similar size one at the boat (lost the hook), I had a beauty on and it spit the hook out,(coho killer seem to lose a lot of fish?) Finally, after 3 more hours, I pick up a 6 lber un clipped (60ft/500+water, glow white squirt), another half hour on the way in, father in law picks up his 6 lber, un clipped (top line, 6oz weight, hootchie, 100ft of water) the sun was out, a bit of a cool breeze but great to be out!! Xena......

Try this rigging technique for the Coho Killer.

http://www.silverhorde.com/coho_killer.html

I find that it loses very few fish when rigged this way, as it allows the fish to roll without tearing the hook out.

Make sure that the hook and swivel that you use are small enough that it does not ruin the action on the CK (you may need to bend it a little more to counter the weight of the new setup).

On my CK I use a 3/0 Gamakatsu open-eye siwash hook and a small black swivel and small steel or nickel split ring.

Tight lines!

Back