Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Great shots guys!
Love the sheepskin on the steering wheel;)

Thanks for sharing.
cheers

Ha! Love that 'furry' steering wheel! That's a first for me.

Way to go boys. Your smiles tell it all.

Mark my words English: The 'Fish of all Fishes' is coming to a rod near you this summer!

DSC_0276.jpg

:D

I fished with one person yesterday from 9 - 1 from the Sooke Bluff to Otter Point. Fishing start off slow and we had no action for the first 1.5 hour and then the bite came on. The fish were sitting in deeper (150- 160') water yesterday and we ran our gear at 145' . Glow heads and purple stripped squires both worked. At the end of the trip we landed two nice hatchery fish, lost 4 close at the boat and released one 29" wild fish that put up a great fight and made the client's day.

Go to gtdfishngcharters.com THIS GUY IS A BEAST AT SLAYING FISH ive gone out Countless time for Halibit Salmon Lingod Etc.... And ever time ive caught something check it out GTDfishing charters.com

I would suggest learning how to spell and maybe post a proper link. Sorry,if you are a young person, please forgive me. If you are over the age of 18 and have a rudimentary knowledge of the English language you can be rest assured everyone on this site thinks you have the mental capacity of a two two year old.

Fished Bluffs to Otter 8:30 -11:30 am until strong East wind blew up across the tide flow making things difficult. Got one hit, one fish, a nice hatchery of 10lbs. Anchovy and green/glo teaser again.

On a less positive note, lost two cannon balls today. First one, the braid side went suddenly. Never saw what happened but ball was close to the boat when down it went. Cut off two or three feet and retied. Second time we had a downrigger tangle. Got the mess close to the boat when bang, the braid went again. It is only one and half seasons old, but I am definitely going back to wire! Especially as the last three trips the wire side has out-shot the braid side by 9 bites to 3 and in fish total weight 63lbs to 15lbs!!

Don’t think I will ever use braid again…..LOL

What know are you using for the braid? I have never lost a ball with the braid but plenty with the wire. Might look at the knot first

Did not go at the knot (used a Palomar I think - not sure as the first knot was tied a season and a half ago!). Both breaks were two or three feet up from knot, so took downrigger clips and everything.....!

I had a couple of braid failures when I first switched over.

One was the line stops slipping down, and the ball hitting the downrigger arm...pop, down she goes. Solution there....3 line stops in a row, and keep an eye on them if one slips.

Other was frayed line, from wear...clips, tying off when stored, etc. Just like your fishing line, good to get in the habit of cutting off a few feet and retying it now and then. I put on 450' per side, so have a little extra to work with. ;-)

Thx JD. The first break may have been caused by what you describe. I thought I heard a clunk but could not be sure as I was not watching. I had two stops in a row. Should have had three maybe!! The second break there was no reason either, other than weakness, since I hade cut off 2-3 feet after the first break. Still think I will replace my braid with wire..........:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Willing to bet your DR pulleys have caused the break. The ball swings when its at the boat or up and causes abrasion. Breaks off as the pulley housing gets sharp edges from previous wire line use. Gangion solves the issue and some sanding of the rough edge of your pulley. Had that same thing one day after first experimenting with power pro before it went mainstream and the tricks all came out,lol

Willing to bet your DR pulleys have caused the break. The ball swings when its at the boat or up and causes abrasion. Breaks off as the pulley housing gets sharp edges from previous wire line use. Gangion solves the issue and some sanding of the rough edge of your pulley. Had that same thing one day after first experimenting with power pro before it went mainstream and the tricks all came out,lol

Tailspin,
I was thinking about this again yesterday and my suspicious thoughts went to the pulleys too. I was thinking more of the friction of braid on nylon/plastic pulley's especially when the braid is dry and the first release of the day goes down. Could be exacerbated if the pulley is not free spinning enough, although I took mine apart and lubricated only a few weeks ago. Yours is another angle on the pulley problem.
So either I get new pulley's or go back to wire....Think I am going back to wire as I have completely lost confidence in braid now.....LOL

easy enough to check. ask your woman for a pair of old stocking, pull them through the pulley and see if they snag.

Had that happen before. Pulleys will get small grooves in the side from constant trolling.

Visually inspect them.....if you notice little grooves, get some "extra fine" sandpaper and smooth them out.

Both wire and braid will put grooves in the pulleys. When you wind in the riggers and the line is on a bit of an angle sometimes this will cause a groove over time.

If you used wire before....the braid will catch in the groove the wire made. But braid will put a groove in them too.

Picked up 4 Springs in a couple hours out front of the Tin Shack at 80' to 120'.....nice! At tide change with glow flasher / head right at the bottom.

Back