Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

anyone have any reports for pedder or the head, trap shack etc? I'm thinking I might give it a shot tomorrow since the winds are actually looking decent.

Last week there were some nice fish at Muir creek up to 20lbs and better #'s in front of the sooke harbour mouth out to Secretary up to 15lbs ,heading out tommorow as well going to give the trap a go had some good luck there last year same time ,rumour has it there are some decent fish in Beecher bay out to Aldrige as well .

We fished Jordon River today for halibut, The sea was calm, good Ebb tide and we got three chickens. It was raining cats and dogs for the entire 4 hours we were out, lucky we were in a boat.

On the return trip to Sooke I talked to a few boats fishing for salmon and they all had a few fish in the boats.

Looks a little windy for Sooke salmon fishing tommorow?? Probably going to try Oak Bay Flats anyone heard how out there is doing?

I didn't end up making it out on Friday. I thought my gel coat would be ready on the bottom of my boat, but not so. It's going to take a week or two more of work.

A lenght of1/4" nylon, and a bronze snap of choice. It's save numerous rods for me. 2 with orcas, 2 with strikers and one on a scotty barrel of the back rigger. And a "oops, I dropped the rod".

Today we fished for salmon in the Sooke trailer park area. Only 4 boats made it out to challenge the swell and wind waves. My client were a father and a 11 year old son and all they wanted to catch and release only which made end of the day client easy.

My clients stuck it out for four hours before needing to head in and during the four hours we lost one and released 3 hatchery fish (6-7 lb) and one wild fish in the high teens. The fish are close to bottom and glow gear was working best.

Both the other boat fishing beside us got nice size fish and one of the boats release a fish in the low 20.

It was good fishing but tuff to land a fish in a 6 foot wind wave washing machine.

HEY quite picking on my fingers LOL LOL they are good for a lot of things LOL

Fishing was red hot today at Otter 2nd to 3rd rock 130ft and using anchovie one side and green glow coyote on the other we went out at 10 for the tide change and had 10 fish on landed 7 and keep 4 hatcheries 10-15lbs all full of fairly fresh herring .

Out yesterday (monday) for the first time this season. Fished Whirl Bay at first light for a couple of hours, no bites, no bait on the screen. Ran down in front of Sooke Harbour and tossed back a shaker and bonked a 6.5 lb within the slot limit. Hooked a couple more down at Otter but tossed them back. Pretty wet out, but still nice to sort gear out and get back on the water.

Fishing was good today for springs ,we started at Otter hit 2 8lbers right off the hop and the ebb picked up big time went with it down to sherringham and picked up a 15 and a 22 lber awesome fighting fish ,i would say that there definatly some mature nicer fish around all bigger fish were on anchovy in 120ft of water on the bottom.

Back