SOOKE Reports, Fall/Winter 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good today got 6 coho and let about that many more go still good fishing to be had. same depths 70 to 120 range the most amaizint today was 3 humpbacks playing right out off the harbour mouth. spyhopping and smacking there fins got to admit really cool to see.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Went out today and got skunked, Covered a lot of water 400-500ft out from the head all the way to secretary and back. Saw a group of boats in front of Sooke harbour, but opted not to join. I guess I should have gone with my gut and joined you guys there and I could have seen a whale show to boot. Thanks for the report Wolf

quote:Good today got 6 coho and let about that many more go still good fishing to be had. same depths 70 to 120 range the most amaizint today was 3 humpbacks playing right out off the harbour mouth. spyhopping and smacking there fins got to admit really cool to see.

Sunday a.m. driving out of Beacher in the fog I see a huge whale tail come up about 75 yards ahead of me.(this was inside of Aldridge) Caught me off guard. I usually only see orcas. Those humpback are huge!
Then later fishing the tide line in the fog I get surrounded by a large pod of porpoise. They were everywhere racing around at high speed cutting the water with their backs. Sounded and looked very cool!
Nice that even with all the days on the water and everything we take start to take for granted we can still be impressed and enjoy a show eh Wolf?

Tips

Same here big meal finding them from 550 to 350 ft of water. I just keep searching different depths and help from fellow anglers makes it a lot easier.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

hey Tailspin, I called u on the radio, I guess you were to busy catching fish eh? LOL :D

I totally agree with your last post on Spring/Summer forum, Wolf. As a guy from Ye Olde Englande, it is totally astonishing to me what we have here and I really appreciate it. I know from what local veterans say it may not be as good as “the old days” but the fact remains my fishing friends and relatives back in the old country are amazed at my descriptions of the fishing we have in B.C. (including the lakes and rivers). Back there, there is no ocean fishing for salmon, one day’s trout fishing on a stocked reservoir will cost $50 and up, the chalk streams will cost you several hundred and a day on a decent salmon beat on a Scottish river will cost you $1000 or more!! Combine the fishing we have here with the scenery, environment and West Coast weather and we do indeed have something remarkable.
I liked your picture of that kid and his smile. He is hugging the fish as well! I took my kids fishing when they were small (unfortunately I could not afford a boat back then) and we fished on the Cariboo/Chilcotin lakes etc. My daughter came out on the boat on Friday and landed one of the Coho, so I have done my bit for the “take a kid fishing” ethic. :cool:.
Cheers!

We are going out to try again tomorrow and hoping the very large Northerns are around. Still remember that monster we had to release beside the boat on September 25th. Sunday we were finding them under those very wide tide/kelp lines. Not too bad to fish when it was flat seas in the morning and you could see and steer around the kelp but tricky later when it got a little choppy.

Easy limit for me once I found them: in 40 - 70' out off Church Rock. Not huge but nice, all between 8 and 12#. Too bad I missed the whales further west.

A few whale shots,a bit fuzzy as we had a double header right beside them,
DSCF1500.jpg

DSCF1503.jpg

DSCF1497.jpg

A few fish
DSCF1517.jpg

DSCF1421.jpg

First Light
DSCF1479.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

Went out late this morning around 9:30, there were a lot of boats out. Did one pass at Beechy head then moved into Aldridge and immediately hooked up a 17Lb Northern. After listening to all the chatter on the radio of people trying to find them, I decided to call it a day and head in. A good day, really nice fish! Still some nice fish out there, but a little harder to find than a last week.

Boats run on Gas, not Thanks!

Fished today with my dad from 830a-12p, started in 300ft off the Tin Shack and got into a pretty good flury, only lasted 1/2 an hour and than drove out to 550ft. Trolled down to secretary and weaved around from 300 to 550. Was slow till 11am for us and than banged on them again off Secretary in 350ft bow into the flood, gear smoking. Still got into lots of coho but lost a lot today [:I].Still got 2 wild, 2 hatch; happy and lucky. Quite a few shaker springs out there to, be gentle. On Fri 80-120ft was good for us; today for us 81-94ft was best.Good weather, water and the boats were sooo spread out[8D]
Rockfish that was me infront of you on the way out of S/Shores today. I'll say hi next time. Thanks in advance for all the reports because you are out there almost more than the other guy that owned that boat,lol. Saw where you started, reports?
006-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

20.gif
....dumptrucks

YUP :D

Been a lot of fun out there the last few weeks. Good size,action,weather and water. I keep wondering how winter spring fishing is going to compete with this[:p]. The only way it could compete is if you were in Cravens boat off the W/Front or Oak Bay nailing fish;)
Nov,Dec can be wild #'s for winters but only "true" 5-7lber's all day; tough problem I guess; whats your biggest Nov,Dec winter. In the new year is when I always get my bigger winter fish.

2 years ago november had a 9 ,11 ,13 one day...
that was the year they were in thick and on the weekend's
there were up to 40 boats fishing between Trial and Brotchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back