Sooke ramp punch cards?

DVL U Know

OK, I get they have to recoup the cost for that ramp in sooke...ramps cost money I get it!

The honesty box apparently wasn't working as they now have an attendant at peak times because only 1 in 4 people were paying. I have always paid--just figure that's what you do, but as a frequent flyer I kinda want a deal. You can buy a punch card, but if you are outside of sooke you still pay full pop...which is dumb...not how punch cards work, usually you factor in the people that lose their pass and the ones that never use it. Could you not just hook it to the SVIAC card or a anglers society like Esquimalt or Sidney? Make it work for your regular clients? Then maybe more people will onside with this ramp, instead of frustrated by it. 10 bucks is cheap until you start using 15 or more time a month!

And an attendant cost Money...so say it is a Friday and 40 boats launch 400 bucks, then you pay an attendant for 6 hours for 20 bucks an hour, 120 bucks. More than a 1/4 of the money for the day...yikes! At this rate they will never afford a scale and fish cleaning station.

Ok, I know this is gripes, and I know this has been covered before...but it never bugged me to the other day.

And as a guy that spent a bunch time around boats as a kid... give some boat courtesy and catch a line or boat...it builds good will, especially if you are just sitting around policing the launch anyway.

Put in a proper vending machine like Tulista in Sidney and just ticket those who don't pay. Why someone has to be there for more than a quick walk through a couple times a day to check for tickets is just stupid and a waste of money.

The annual pass is a real good deal in my opinion, only $60 for Sooke residents like me and $120 for non-residents.

Gladly pay $120 for a year...like Esquimalt...but $120 for a punch card that works out to be the same as pay per service, not a deal!

The passes are for sale now. I haven't heard anything about a punch card system. I think you either have an annual pass or you pay $10 per launch.

I talked the guy it was a punch card...120 bucks for twelve launches half if you have a address in sooke.

Could have been a miscommunication...but I did grill him on it a bit. I was confused as to why I would pay the same for a punch card as I would per launch...why not just pay as you go?.

That's for sure a miscommunication. I bought an annual pass and it's just a laminated sticker you leave on your dash, not a punch card. I've read the fee bylaw that was passed by Sooke and it doesn't seem to contemplate that the annual pass involves any punch cards or a limited number of launches, but instead suggests unlimited launches. That was also my understanding when I bought my pass at the District of Sooke. Contact Terrance Martin through this forum. He's the guy responsible for getting the annual pass idea going. See thread at this link:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?23160-Sooke-Public-Boat-Launch/page23

Maybe Terrance can clear this up by posting on this thread.

Was an attendant there yesterday yet there were 5 vehicle without trailers taking up spaces. Not even smaller spaces.
I was there at 6 am and had to park on the road because i was too long for the only spot left.
I asked and apparently they had notified the hotel and were trying to contact car owners.
Spots are marked for ramp patron parking only. No over night.
Should say violaters will be towed and some follow through.
I'm happy to pay $10 for launch and parking, but with no cleaning station, 1 dock and no parking enforcement, I don't want to put out $120.

Not sure what the purpose of attendant was?

Tips

To make sure you put your $10 in even if your parking on the highway...

Most guys will probably pay to launch and park but I can see a lot of non payers when the lot is full unless there's a guy chasing the coin. That's why Profishers idea won't work - not enough on site parking. The Sidney ramp is run by robins isn't it? Robins can only enforce a lot they have leased any ticket machine (robins or otherwise) couldn't ticket vehicles parked on the road with no ticket because there's no evidence to support which launch they used - or if they even launched at all.

Jock's and Terrance need to work together with a solution. Rob Roe station leader for search and rescue should be included. Everyone benefits if they all work together.Not one person on his own can do this that is just my opinion. Jock's and this new ramp can work out a shared parking agreement. Maybe search and rescue could benefit instead with a little funding in return for some help. I was also aware that search and rescue already had a cleaning table made and ready to go to install but lost the bid.

Its not working in there. The hotel is not enforcing anything. The only change I have seen its gotten way busier through this forum/advertising with more problems and just an additional port-a washroom. I am actually looking forward when its back to normal in winter months.... Its crazy crowded now. Too much for facility to handle.

Hey if it isn't a punch card...I'm in, I will have to get down there...still wish there was a SVIAC deal but what ev's!

Back