Sooke coho derby

Bag-Juan

Just wondering if anyone knew if Jock's Dock was hosting a Coho derby this year. I know derbies are a lot of work, to bad if they not having it as this derby has always been a fun one day event.

The derby is on!!!!!!!
Oct 11
Weigh in before 3 pm
$50 per rod
1/2 the cash goes to the winner the other 1/2 goes to Charters Creek
There will draw prizes
People who purchase their tickets before the end of September will receive a free entry into the food bank draw There will be a quality rod and reel as well as other prizes for the food bank draws The donated fish will go to the Sooke Food Bank
WHEN the Tickets are printed for sale The Crab Shack and Eagle Eye will have them plus maybe others
The guys only had their 1st meeting last night and are working on prizes and getting tickets printed
There will probably be more info to add coming soon
This info is for planning

Hopefully it is not $50 per rod. A 150% increase in ticket costs will reduce ticket sales

I just wrote to my clients to see if they want me to purchase tickets and they responded $50 per rod is to much for the 4 ($200) of them. They fished the derby last year and only fish a couple days per year and landing fish for them has lots to do with luck.

Same here.
I do this as a family trip with fathe rinlaw, uncle and son. And all for fun.
My son talks about it all the time because he won a flasher and some "stinky fish helmets" as he calls chovie heads.
Cost me $20.00 for him to win this last year. $50 is too much.
$25.00 would be reasonable.

Not interested if this is turning in to a full on derby event and $50.
I like the winner take half, some kids prizes and out of there in less than an hour.

Tips

Tips

Hi Guys,

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get good quality prizes for this derby.
The thinking behind $50 a rod is a larger first prize and more money for salmon conservation.
Anyone who has put in a fair amount of time on the water realizes that this is one of the worst Augusts possibly ever.
I have contacted many organizations today including the Canucks, islander, oki, Gibbs-delta and lots more.

See you October 11th!

The derby will start at first light and the final line up will be at 3 sharp.
Lions club will have food available
There will be junior prizes
Fish prizes 1-8
Hidden weight prize
SB
Food bank donations get draws for some fantastic prizes!

I suppose its you Elden as sealeggs. I always support you guys in conservation efforts/sooke food bank will probably go..... Understand what your trying to do.... Are we still having at crab shack like last year at weigh in...? I know your throwing more in and raising cost but just consider there weren't a lot of guys last year...so maybe an large increase may reduce number even further just something to think of...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Springvelocity.

I think ticket sale will decrease by over 30% and the group that will suffer the most will be the food bank donations and food sales. Less people means less donations of fish and less food purchases. The food bank in Sooke probably needs donations more than the fish do.

I know the 4 guys I take out paid the $20 x 4 = $80 last year but to go from $80 to $200 is to much so the derby is down 4 tickets purchases from my group. They said the $80 they were planned on spending on the derby will now go to buying beer.

It's been a great derby over the past years and hopefully things go well

Good luck everyone.

My Dad and I also enjoyed the fact that is the weather was a stinker we were only out 40$ Now 100$ might make me feel obligated to fight thru conditions I wouldn't normally fish in.

We will ponder it over might have to skip it though

-KK

I don't know where you guys got your tickets last year but the entry was $30 and the year before was $25 certainly not a 150% increase and it is for a good cause and there will be more prizes

My Dad and I also enjoyed the fact that is the weather was a stinker we were only out 40$ Now 100$ might make me feel obligated to fight thru conditions I wouldn't normally fish in.

We will ponder it over might have to skip it though

-KK

Still pondering too...

I don't know where you guys got your tickets last year but the entry was $30 and the year before was $25 certainly not a 150% increase and it is for a good cause and there will be more prizes

You are correct it was $25 2012 and $30 in 2013....These were only opinions so don't take it wrong way... We are all supporters of the sooke coho and many of us belong to organizations that support it and volunteer. I am just passing along what I am hearing from majority of guys that were there last year... That impacts in the end total money raised. The numbers participating usually quite small, so wouldn't like to see you not get that many people....I will go to support it though maybe I will toss in a prize... Just have Elden consider the kid thing if he can as it sounds like mind is made up in ticket price... Why not ask and work with ramp next door to donate some launch funds to enhancement that day as a donation.... There will be tons of guys going out of there... Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in agreement that $50 is too much.
This was an inexpensive simple derby in the past and that is what I liked about it.

Unsure if I will go in this year. If I do it won't be 4 tix as usual. Maybe 2.

Not Knocking efforts of the organizers. It is impossible to please everyone and takes a lot of effort to organize a derby.
This new format just does not suit me and my crew. Through the grape vine I am not alone.

Tips

I'm interested to hear about the food bank prizes in addition to prizes for spots 2-8. I know 1st gets half the pot...

If the prize table offers a good chance to win a cool prize I'll probably go in. Your right - your right I should care more about $ to the hatchery then prizes on the talbe but what can I say? I love prizes!

Its unfortunate but with time spent as a volunteer for the fish. I have a hard time with the whole $$$ for fish thing. I think its more about hands on helping the hatcheries.

50$ for a COHO derby just seems steep. I do realise there is a lack of funding and cash flow for these hatcheries so I may still have to go in. Might have to buddy up with some guys and fish one boat.

-KK

Back