Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out from 12 to 4 pm. 200 to 550 ft water. Spoons, plugs and plastic 50 ft to 130 ft. Small non-clipped and small clipped both on 4 1/2 inch radiant alligator squirt at 70 ft. Also lost one at the boat. 2 shaker coho from 90 ft. Saw 3 or 4 orcas go by. No rain, some sun and calm, glassy water. Did not take any bait out so could not do what the Englishman did. Bait may have helped but it was still a good day on the water.

Forgot to mention - we did hit a single ~10lb wild on 6.0 TKO spoon on the back line....52 feet... I believe the color was Nasty Boy.

Thought my friend was a little crazy when he said that this spoon was crushing the coho for him, as it is a little large.

Well.... after seeing a few rather large bait fish launch out of the water, the captain put the spoon on and it hit.......... Captain of Shark Bait 1 - MHBradley 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope u gave that crew the gears :)

I wasn't close enough to see the white of their... I recall the Capitan yelling "scurvy dogs...cast dar killer spoon" ;)

If you have a crab pot in Beecher Bay watch out. A bunch of guys including me had their traps stolen today. $100+ stainless commercial pot.

If you have a crab pot in Sooke basin watch out. They stolen my crab trap and my friend's traps too.

Now We cannot trust anyone.

Reminds me of the crab theif KK caught off sooke last year or the year before.

He got great photos, about 4 traps stolen in one hit. The theif was clearly identifiably in the pictures and was caught red handed with all the floats yet the RCMP did nothing....

Found the picture... maybe it's the same cuplrit? The time of year is certainly similar (fall to early winter)
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...her-Bay-Crab-Trap-Theif!&highlight=crab+theif

I've seen kelp islands myself out there with traps in them and this year I returned a guys trap that floated from Main Island to the Victoria waterfront. Given the fall storms there is LOTS of crap in the water. Not all theifs are humans make sure you pick low current spots to drop your traps and check frequently. If it is a person I hope they are caught and some traps are returned as unlikely as that is.

Just 3 weeks ago I too thought I had been robbed of a trap in the Metchosin gravel pit area. I had GPS all 4 of my traps that morning before heading out to becher bay for coho. I located 3 traps in the correct location but couldn't find the 4th trap. I finally located the trap in a small island of kelp almost 1/2 a mile away near the dockyard. It's amazing how far they can be pulled I had 80 ft of leaded line on the trap and in 50 ft of water. This was a heavy round trap as well not a light box trap.

Just 3 weeks ago I too thought I had been robbed of a trap in the Metchosin gravel pit area. I had GPS all 4 of my traps that morning before heading out to becher bay for coho. I located 3 traps in the correct location but couldn't find the 4th trap. I finally located the trap in a small island of kelp almost 1/2 a mile away near the dockyard. It's amazing how far they can be pulled I had 80 ft of leaded line on the trap and in 50 ft of water. This was a heavy round trap as well not a light box trap.

could have drifted but with the weight you describe, a more likely cause is someone pulls the trap, drifts into deeper water and throws it over.
The trap then drifts until is finds shallow water again.
How was crabbing...with all the commercials out we find all we are getting are just under legal size.

There are log booms in Beeher;the guy who lives in the corner hauls them out regularly,if your traps are in the way,they'll hang up on the logs like ornaments on a
Xmas tree.:(

If you want crabs...sit on your traps or use a stick of wood disguised as a float...;)

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know. I am installing a new transducer tomorrow and I was thinking of heading out on Sunday to test it out.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Toby, Franko, et all: There are still coho around as of yesterday. Was out Wednesday Beechey Head to Aldridge Pt. in 400 to 520 feet of water from 12:30 to 3 p.m. and hit a dozen coho, all were wild (unmarked). We kept 2 about 7 lb. each (most were this size) but released a very mature looking 10 lb. just before we went in. The fish were caught 60 to 90 feet deep on rubber.

Out yesterday noon to 2 pm. I was by myself and it was lumpy water so just stayed in Beecher Bay. I got one bite and one fish, a nice bright 12 lb. going from Aldridge Pt. across to West Bedford Is. (95 feet deep). A friend also got one fish in the bay just before I got out plus another friend got a few wild fish before noon in 500 ft. of water out from Beechey Head.

...Rob

They are still out there. Fished 1-2:30pm between Aldridge and the Bedfords. I had the first fish in the boat within 1 minute. Caught and released another wild at the Bedfords. It was wet, windy and only 3 other boats out.

Guys,

I know the coho run must be nearing its end, but given that the weather looks pretty decent for tomorrow, I was thinking of heading out. Anyone been out lately? Are they still around Becher Bay and the Head? Is it worth a try or would it be a boat ride?

4 nice days of sun coming, is there any salmon left?

I know guys are heading out for hali... but what kind of salmon action is there right now?

New to salmon fishing this year - fishing mainly out of the public launch at the hotel/wiffin spit - so Secretary, Possession to the bluffs. Had a good July and August w springs - then an awesome Sept and Oct on coho. Now I am eager to learn how to catch winter springs. Any pointers would be appreciated folks! When do they typically show up? Where is the best place to get good current fishing reports for Sooke - is this the place? Thanks, really appreciate it!

Went out on Saturday, beautiful day with good tides, just out between Race and Becher Bay we got some nice Coho around slack in 400 ft of water. Ten pounds being the largest. Then went out for some Hali, picked up four nice ones!

Did a mediocre halibut fish outside of Becher bay around whirl bay, protected from the SE wind. A couple tugs that were probably dogfish, nothing to the boat. 175ft bottom depth on the ebb, with the back eddie forming up towards the end of the day. Herring and salmon for bait. Noted decent targets on the sounder strewn throughout the water column and even seagulls on bait balls, maybe we should have been salmon fishing. Whales out further, probably humpbacks.

Hmm...not many feeders around lately;usually by now,they should be showing in the usual spots?

Back