Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Got really nasty out there today.. Surfed the last couple in.. Hope it doesn't get like that tomorrow ??

Yeah I made mistake of not going around secretary and going in the gap home...Wont do that again.. Very steep waves. Also made mistake of thinking secretary on lee side of wind the waves would be better (usually is)..Almost took one over the stern. So weird went from flat calm to huge waves withing 10 to 20 minutes.. Basically had that strong westerly facing into a strong ebbing current and it was NW so couldn't hide from it.... Got to tell you something if my 185 malibu was getting rocked today....Was A Sxxx show for sure..Not many times I have been a little concerned in this boat... Was glad though it handled well through it.......

Hope the weather is better for you tom..

YES thats why we left I could see that black line and got the binos up and could see whitecaps coming from sheringham and with a lil kid in the boat we came in it was flat calm. Told my friends its going to get nasty here in about 20 mins ,said no way Is a fish worth it...especially a coho.....
while I was cleaning fish the fleet of boats were coming in and the wind was howling buddy said WOW did that change fast....

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out around 10am;got into some coho fairly quick off the Head,fished trough the mid - day slop,around 2:30 pm the wind died & it was calm seas until we went in (4:30) Finished the day with 2 wild & 3 clipped.

Sammy,
I'm running over that way on Sunday and probably Monday too. What type of boat do you have. I'm in a 24 Seasport.

Looking out my window and there is super heavy monsoon like driving rain storm. If it is like that in the Coho Derby off Sooke the guys out there deserve every prize they win.

Went out around 10am;got into some coho fairly quick off the Head,fished trough the mid - day slop,around 2:30 pm the wind died & it was calm seas until we went in (4:30) Finished the day with 2 wild & 3 clipped.

I figured that when I was tying up at that time it looked like it calmed down,and it was approaching slack to flood so in same wind direction.. No wonder it went flat.. Sure it will be fine today a little wet...

Think it'll be better tomorrow?
Hoping to take my son out for his first fishing trip tomorrow from 8-noon.

Just running a 15ft sangster and hoping to troll around Aldridge - beechy.

Or would I have a better time out of esquimalt anglers and the waterfront?

I'm taking my son and father out tomorrow too. I think it will be a calm day, at least until noon. All the data I can find points to no more than 5 knot winds, NNW. I check the marine forecast on the govt site, but I also learned from guys on this forum to check fishweather and big wave Dave. Both have tons of weather and wind forecasting tools and data.

I will look for you guys tomorrow. I am in a blue 20' Thunderjet with a grey top. My hull numbers are reflective silver. It's funny... The first boat that my dad took me fishing on was a 15' Sangster too. Neat boats. That was 35 years ago!

Good luck and have a great day.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

tons of action coho fishing this year - 15 plus to the boat last weekend and as many as that today. tied into a 15# hook nose today (and released). white glow hootchie with red hooks between 70 and 80 feet out front but bait worked too. picked up fish reeling and dropping gear so all depths are possible. coho fishing makes you forget about the occasional summer skunking and fuels the promise for next year.

Fished yesterday 7:30-2:00
Steady bite in the morning until about 10:00 then it went dead for a couple of hours. About noon it turned on again and was still on when we pulled gear about 2:00.
Had over 20 fish to the boat. Kept 5.
Calm waters to start. Pretty nasty when we left.

Tips

Think it'll be better tomorrow?
Hoping to take my son out for his first fishing trip tomorrow from 8-noon.

Just running a 15ft sangster and hoping to troll around Aldridge - beechy.

Or would I have a better time out of esquimalt anglers and the waterfront?

If it were me in your boat I would fish out of Sooke Harbor. BWD indicates the winds should not be bad today and will be from the East in the PM if not before. If it blows up you can stay in the lee of Secretary and once you get around Possession Point stay in close on the East shore of Sooke inlet and you should be fine. If you do ***Don’t forget to go out around the one nasty reef that on some very High tides is not exposed*** on the East side of Sooke Harbor. The Feds. should really put a marker on that one. Be prepared for Fog and if you go out side to fish go a little west just sufficient to avoid the outer Secretary tide rips and you will be fighting some current once the tide change picks up.

I agree, Sooke is still good for coho, Friday fished morning/afternoon - slower in morning, afternoon was better. Yesterday (Sat) fished 7:30 to 10:30 , even with all the rain , water was calm, low winds and first fish in the boat in under 10 minutes. Ended up with 3 in boat, released 2-3 and lost 4-5. Bait, coho killers, 60-90 feet down - head straight out from Sooke, start fishing at 400 and troll out to 550 and back. We trolled 2.5 to 3.5 mph (sometimes close to 4) mostly - changing speed often seemed to make the difference as well.

Can't guarantee, but for your son's first fishing trip the odds will be really good.

Sammy,
I'm running over that way on Sunday and probably Monday too. What type of boat do you have. I'm in a 24 Seasport.
just tuned in,saw your post;pulled a double shift,out yesterday again with my son. Mother nature provided a real show;lightning,thunder,RAIN...

Our boat is a 20' Hourston;fished the Head, took it easy on the fish, finished with a nice pair of wilds.

Thanks for the advice everyone, we were out from 8-11 and got 4 :) threw 4 back and lost 2 at the boat.
Anchovy and coho killer spoon was the ticket, all at 60-80 feet on the rigger. Out in the 500-600's.
Couldn't coax the little guy into reeling or holding the rod unfortunately but the weather was excellent and overall my son loved the trip.

I'm off tomorrow too so thinking of heading out again.

Once a year my main fishing partner Silver Spring brings out his teen nephew to get some Pinks or Coho for mom. Out for 3 hours or so today off the harbor in 420 to 550 and all depths down to 120 until it started to rain. 60 was a hot depth. Flat calm in the am. White Glow Plastic (UV, Double Glow it does not seem to matter) on a short leader has been hot for us again. I think we catch more than on bait now, not because bait is not killer but you waste too much time setting it up and checking the role when the Ho fishing is hot so you catch less fish and much slower to release a treble beside the boat and harder on the fish. You can get the plastic back down faster and don’t have to worry about missing a strike. Also we don’t waste time with the net except for the odd big one, just lift in the ones you are going to keep if they are hooked well on the single hook and get the gear back down. Played 30ish plus fish to the boat and kept 6 hatch and 3 wild to 11 lbs. Released a couple possibly a little bigger saving our last wild spot till the end and ended up filling it with a 7. Still seems to be a huge quantity of them out there and some had lots of net scale damage. Keep the hooks sticky sharp and attached to a swivel and very few get off.

Attachments

• 439.jpg
    439.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 676
  • 443.jpg
    443.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 678
Well that's a wrap for the coho season for us. We are done..Finished up today with my son...Nothing huge all from 8-10lbs... Out from 230-530...We didn't find them at first but they were closer in shore this time... Once we were on them it was non-stop. 400-450 feet off the bluffs... We released about 25 fish or so...Kept 2 wilds and four hatchery. All on same hardware. Fish were anywhere from 80-90 feet... What a great fishery to enjoy on thanksgiving..Thankful my son gets to experience it... Got to try out the new table when we got back...
20141012_182524.jpg20141012_182600.jpg

We are almost done for the year also and will pull the boat out for the winter soon. The marina we are in is not very protected and the winter storms beat the hell out of the boat if you leave it in for winter Chinook fishing.

I have nothing new to say that hasn't already been said but I feel bad for being out so much and not reporting. I was catching coho from 30 to 130 feet on various hoochies, flashers and dummy flashers, slow and fast, with the bottom depth between 150-500 feet straight out from the harbour. I sent the GoPro down and the footage seemed to indicate that the fish aren't picky and didn't waste time following before striking. Usually when the fish came into view they charged the lure and bit rather than just chase it...more of a bite first ask and questions later. The hatchery fish seem to average a smaller size than the wilds and I haven't figured out a way to target the hatchery fish. I also caught a nice feeder chinook last weekend that was in amongst the coho. Stomach contents, when present, usually consisted of herring but I did find one salmonid (kept).

Give the Hoes a break...time to baste your bird!

images

Back