Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out yesterday in the new boat for sea trial/fish day.

Got one Chinook about 5 lbs and that was it for us. Fished from trap and tried whirl for a few minutes on way back. Was nice to get out and a lot of fish out there which is nice to see...

Nice work guys! Bigger then I thought!

My Grandfather Let a 30 wild go and boated a double of 15pound hatches byhimself lastnight. Great start to the year!

Today was slow this AM hit it for a 3 hour stint with only one 6 pounder released to show.

-KK

Where was the tyee caught? Was it weighed, measured or just eye-balled? Nice to hear that some slabs are coming through this early.

Fished the flood today, kept a 26lb and 5 lb, both hatchery. The bigger one had about 9 herring in it. Had a fair bit of action for once and bait on the sonar.

Today was a great day, Took a buddy out and was into 12 springs all on spoons no flasher. All fish were 8-13 pounds. 81-88ft

So much bait the rods were shaking a few times oh and then after the bait stopped shaking the rods, we doubled up! SWEET!

-KK

Nauti, that fish belongs to the guy I was fishing with. Most the fish I post about are his, but I do a damn good job netting them.

Here are a couple of pics of the last 2 trips this week. Hit 10 fish today, kept 4, snapped 1 off. All 80-95ft at the creek. All hatch and fought like fish 10 pounds bigger. 6-7 inch herring in guts.

The top picture was taken on a slow kicker ride back after my main blew. Time to pull out the camera and kill some time. lol

Fished otter point in the yak today, started at 7am tried all depth till I found them at 10am at 30ft in 50 feet of water had 3 on landed one nice 8 pounder in a half hour. Good first salmon of 2014!!!! Hopfully bigger ones to come!!!image.jpg

Well done H420! Just picked up the Hobie PA and looking forward to getting the scotty rigged in time for the weekend.

Fished Tues from 8:30 - 10:00 from Bedfords to Whirl Bay without a bite so moved over to Aldridge with all the other boats. Got a nice teenager wild that had to let go and that was all until 2:00. Saw 3 fish at the cleaning station at Cheanuh

5 springs on 4 landed threw back 15,16,18 wilds and kept a 19 hatchery. All fish 51 and 61 on rigger on spoons with fly rods.

Pic of my 9wt and Islander in a sunrise.

And here is a pic of the 19.

-KK

Not sure that I got my info right but isn't not a good idea to use fly rods when the majority of the fish have to be released. No offense KK, just something I have heard.

Not sure that I got my info right but isn't not a good idea to use fly rods when the majority of the fish have to be released. No offense KK, just something I have heard.

I dont fish with flashers and find I can normally land the fish equally as fast with my 9wt as I can a mooching rod. I am using an Islander MR3 drag is the same. Not much difference other then the flyrod doesent bother my Dads hernia. Its a great way for him fish pain free.

-KK

Steve, that is awesome catching fish on spoons like that. Are you using dummy flashers? Anyway, I have not had much success with spoons (except in winter) but it would sure save a lot of money on anchovies. Guess I''ll have to try it some more, either on the rigger or maybe over the back with banana weight - that way, since I'm not confident, I won't "use up" one of my rigger slots!!:eek:

Back