Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

beauty catch KK. watching this thread and your progress closely from the other side of the pond. Looking forward to my first Sooke winters trip this year.. good job and thanks for the updates.

I'll be out in my yak between Albert Head and the gravel pit, trying to win the derby--say hello if you see me.
T2

Fished the sooke harbour mouth today, six fish on , wet, cold, windy, undersize and released, sealed, lost at the boat, skunked, still was an awesome day !

Hootchy and spoons, close to the bottom.

the columbians will show up in Feb/march right?

Around that time.... Check the hair doo... Don't mess with them though, its hard to tell which one could be a drug lord..The odds are that you will end up like a nasty South American crime scene.. My .02

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wind doesnt kick up im probly going to take a couple people from work out for a fish this afternoon. I was planning to fish the bottom at 120ft with spoon/hoochies. but I was wondering what size leaders i should be using for winter springs. Do they need to be long like the summer springs?
Thanks guys,
And is it worth running bait in your opinion, or will i just be fighting rock cod and such all day...?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wind doesnt kick up im probly going to take a couple people from work out for a fish this afternoon. I was planning to fish the bottom at 120ft with spoon/hoochies. but I was wondering what size leaders i should be using for winter springs. Do they need to be long like the summer springs?
Thanks guys,
And is it worth running bait in your opinion, or will i just be fighting rock cod and such all day...?
No--they can be shorter--the winters are more lively than the summers.
T2

Around that time.... Check the hair doo... Don't mess with them though, its hard to tell which one could be a drug lord..The odds are that you will end up like a nasty South American crime scene.. My .02

Lippy, it's ColUmbian!!!

BTW, there are plenty of drug lords in British ColUmbia :mad:

Thanks. Wind ended up switching at 11 ish and was going against a strong ebb. It wouldnt have been fun fishing out there. But it was a good excuse to have a few beers and tour the basin!

Lippy, it's ColUmbian!!!

BTW, there are plenty of drug lords in British ColUmbia :mad:

Here is one of those Columbian drug lord type Chinook that was caught trying to infiltrate past Sooke. They certainly live up to their reputation of being short but deep and thick and yes we know that many are actually Fraser Fish.

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 195
Bout the only thing I can be certain about with that fish is that its.......... Fat.

Nice one Rockfish, and when is it summer again?

Bout the only thing I can be certain about with that fish is that its.......... Fat.

Nice one Rockfish, and when is it summer again?

This genetic strain certainly have shoulders on them. It would be interesting to know with certainty where they come from. Everyone I know calls them Columbians. They are stocky solid heavily muscled fish and it is not uncommon for them to get over 30lb’s which are decent size fish for this end of the island. Have had a few of them into the boat off Sooke over the years.

'The Columbian's?' topic has been thoroughly flogged on here for a long time. If you're not careful, Charlie will be wading-in here...

Back