Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

woohooo
I nabbed the first report on the new thread. Fished off possesion yesterday sunrise 500ft. two quick double headers all wild 8-10 lbs. released one at the boat. then nothing for an hour. Then the shakers showed up. Could not get a line down. All fat little heathy looking coho. Good to see. So we packed it in and were having brunch by 10;30. Last day out for us for a while. It was a great season... thanks everybody!

had a great season myself,,but not finished yet,,went out off of secretary in 500 feet of water on sunday and we picked up 2 wild and 2 clipped coho all about 8-10lbs,,i am smoking them right now along with the chum that i caught last saturday,,also got one large male dungy,,wow,it's been a while since we've gotten and dungy keepers,,,maybe they are finally starting to show up,,going to try and get out for some more coho this sat. and sun.

Crabbing was good a couple of weeks ago in the harbour. A mix of heavy and light ones but more males than females....so a complete turn around from most of the summer.

Beauty day today, so headed out from 8:00 -1:30. First time out for two weeks and it appears the coho are really winding down now. Fished way out in 500-600 feet water for two hours, at usual 70-100 depths with spoons, and got nothing but shakers. Finally switched to an apex and a plain white glo hootchie and went deep. Got a hit at 180 feet but missed. Nothing for next hour but stayed deep in view of previous hit. Finally got two hits around 11:30 at 160 feet in 500 water about 3Km off Secretary. One was 4lb which hit an army truck coloured apex. The other was 8lb and hit the same glo white hootchie as before. Got nothing more in next 90 minutes so called it a day. Can’t complain at two fish and overall it has been an incredible coho summer and fall. I wonder if we will ever see it’s like again?

We fished from 9 - noon today. 450 to 550 feet of water, 50-130 depths, we had four fish on and land one 7lb.
Lots and lots of Shaker at all depths and on all types of gear and bait. So bad we had to check the gear every 15 minutes

The same day as Englishman had.

Fished way out from Church from 9-11 without a sniff, so moved over to group of boats out from Secretary for another hour or so without any luck. Just 2 shakers all day on bait. Think the coho are getting thin now, but it was a good stretch for coho this year. Hear there are winters showing up in Whirl Bay. Probably start targeting them next time out.

We fished today from 8 to 1030 for springs in front of the harbour to Otter point, hooked up 2 X and landed one small fish.
From 1030 to 1 we fished coho, had 6 on and landed 3 wild fish, 300 - 350 of water at 100' deep.

Ity was a very very cold and windy day.

We fished today as well got 4 nice winters in front biggest was a 14 lb beauty hatchery left when it really started to pour baitrix was the lure of choice today at 79 ft down nice to see feeders already..

wolf

"We fished today as well got 4 nice winters in front biggest was a 14 lb beauty hatchery":)

Nice, good to hear there's already some decent winters out your way.

I was more surprised then any as talked to a fellow guide that am and he said it was SLOW so thought to myself why not try for winters then???(think outside the box) as everyone has been focusing on coho..Knew it wasnt a coho as this thing started to screw out line so first thought was a chum as I was right infront of the harbour mouth the ratio was 3 females to one male dont know if it means anything but good to see them....
thats probally it for me as my hunting trip to sask is coming up and have to get some things done around the homestead before I go good luck to the guys that brave it

Wolf

Out today for the last coho trip and landed 1. Lost a few and released some coho feeders. A nice day but wet a cold. It has been a awesome season. Time to pull the boat for the winter. See you all on the water next season
Tiger prawn

Fished from 7:30 till noon straight out from the harbour. Dumped in the gear at about the 300 ft mark and trolled out to the 585 mark. Found a nice little pocket of fish and stayed on it. Ended up with 4 nice coho about 10 lb each. Very wet out there, one last trip next weekend then the boat goes away till after xmas and fish for winter springs in the new year.

We fished yesterday from 10 am to 3 pm. We fished off Beechey Head from the beginning till ~12:30 with only a few shakers (nice fat little springs and a few coho grilse as well). The other boats in the area didn't get any either that we could see. We then trolled with the flood to Church/Whirl area and had one good hit at 80 ft that didn't hook up.

Did two full circuits of Whirl for winters but no action for us, although we heard a couple boats got a fish or two (lots of bait around which was a good sign). We decided to troll for home at the 200' depth towards Church against the flood. Around 2 pm we had a hit that missed then about 30 sec later that rod hooked up an 8 lb coho. Ten minutes later the other rod got an 8 lb coho as well, we tried for another half hour but no more action. These bites were 90-100 ft deep. It appears there are a few around but in small pockets only in the Beechey to Church area.

...Rob

Any new reports

Fished yesterday in front of sooke harbor with a couple buddys from Vancouver. Beatiful day out there considering the forecast was for gale force winds and rain, flat calm, no rain or wind. Fished from 7:30-noon, pulled the gear just when it started to rain. Ended the day with 2 nice coho (1 hatch 1 wild) lost 2 others. tons of coho shackers out there, must of had 20+ of them.Last trip of the year for me till after Christmas

Fished 9:30 to 3:00 today in beautiful t shirt weather. The trough in Becher Bay produced 2 undersized winter springs, so moved to Whirl Bay with no success, except for 2 rockfish around Christopher Point. Oh well, probably a little early to expect much in the way of feeders. Did here of 11 and 13 lbs coming in at Cheanuh.

Anyone getting any winter springs?? I was out last weekend and only had one hit and an 8 poun coho off the bluffs, seeing how anyone else is doing! Thinking about going out this weekend!

Out from 8-12 out front , quiet, one undersized that was released , porpoise show was cool, east wind came up about 12... Good Day Driller

Back